Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedometer bouncing

jamboken77

Hello,

I have just bought a Ford Focus 1.8 LX 2001, it drives and feels great, the only issue I have is with the speedometer.

When I get to around 60mph and over the speedo needle will bounce up and down by about 5 mph. I can roughly see what speed I'm doing because it will stay for a second at one speed. Has anybody else had this problem, or know what the problem is?

I have read about the speedo dropping to 0, it's obviously not as bad as this, but slightly annoying nonetheless.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sounds like a problem with either the instrument cluster, or the vehicle speed sensor.

Thank you, is this an easy/expensive problem to fix?

Easy yes, cheap possibly not. You need to ascertain which it is. To do this a code read will likely reveal. If its VSS it SHOULD cost about £100 at Ford (beware though, some try charging a lot more saying they have to take the gearbox out to get the old one out). If its the cluster its easily changed but they dont come cheap and its not a case of swapping a scrap one or your mileage will be different.

Easy yes, cheap possibly not. You need to ascertain which it is. To do this a code read will likely reveal. If its VSS it SHOULD cost about £100 at Ford (beware though, some try charging a lot more saying they have to take the gearbox out to get the old one out). If its the cluster its easily changed but they dont come cheap and its not a case of swapping a scrap one or your mileage will be different.

Thanks, do you think any garage could do this or would it have to be Ford themselves? That's sometimes the main problem and cost... the diagnostic!!! I'm thinking whether to leave it or not, it's only at high speeds and I can get a rough idea what I'm doing.

I wouldnt leave it tbh. If it is the VSS failing, and it fails totally the engine will die. This is not good if you are for example on a motorway as my ex wife was when hers went. The car died, nose dived.....44 tonne of artic couldnt react quick enough BANG! For what it will cost, better than maybe losing your life mate. If you go to Ford for the diagnostic, then get the work done with them they usually knock the cost of the diagnostic off the final bill so in effects you're getting it for free.

I wouldnt leave it tbh. If it is the VSS failing, and it fails totally the engine will die. This is not good if you are for example on a motorway as my ex wife was when hers went. The car died, nose dived.....44 tonne of artic couldnt react quick enough BANG! For what it will cost, better than maybe losing your life mate. If you go to Ford for the diagnostic, then get the work done with them they usually knock the cost of the diagnostic off the final bill so in effects you're getting it for free.

Yeah good point if it is leading to a major problem, looks like more money in a short period of time. Was your ex wife OK?

Yeah good point if it is leading to a major problem, looks like more money in a short period of time. Was your ex wife OK?

Sadly yes she was fine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club