Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bluetooth Problems On New Ford

jimmyshoes

Hi all,

First post here so apologies if this topic is covered elsewhere. I just bought a new 12 plate Ford Fiesta Zetec Econetic and I'm having a nightmare getting the bluetooth voice commands to work.

In my last Fiesta (a 59 plate Econetic) I always used the "Store Name" command in the Phone menu to create voice tags for my most used numbers. In the new car, the "Store Name" command no longer seems to work, despite the user manual stating otherwise. The voice command "dial name" still works which seems to imply there is a way to store a name but neither the Ford service centre, the dealer who sold me the car, or Ford technical seem to be able to confirm if this is a fault, or if the command structure has changed.

Has anyone had the same issues and been able to overcome them?

Thanks in advance!

Kenny

What happens after you say "store name"?

Try saying "phone" then "help" and see if she lists "store name" as one of her commands.

Hi,

When I say "Store Name" she replies "Name Please" and regardless of what I say next, the reply is always "command cancelled, not recognised"

When I say "Help" there are three options quoted "Dial Name" "Dial Number" or a third one that I can't remember but wasn't anything relevant.

Getting ready to drive it through the showroom window! :o)

Kenny

Do you have an accent? :P

In all seriousness if you're not getting anywhere with the dealer and wanna try swapping over the bluetooth module you're welcome to borrow mine for 10mins and try it out :)

This does sound like a fault , when at the dealers ask to pair you phone a demo and test it while they are there , then if that works tell them you want the module changing.

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. Just to confirm, I do have a hint of Glasgwegian accent but I've lived in the south for 10 years so it's very cultivated ;)

For info, the three commands I have available in the Phone menu are "Dial Name" "Dial Number" and "Redial"

I am able to use "Store Name" with no problems in the Radio menu.

I'm planning to pop into the dealership today and ask to pair my phone with a showroom model. If it works on that, I will be seriously ticked off as the service guy categorically told me that they tried this and "Store Name" was not available on any of their demo vehicles. He went on to say that the feature must no longer be available and that if I wanted the bluetooth module replacing, I would have to pay for it myself.... I think not!

To be fair the sales manager did make more of an effort to help but a week later I'm no further forward. Time to get assertive I think.

Wish me luck!

Kenny

Well, the lastest from the Ford dealer is that the "Store Name" function is no longer included in the phone menu. Instead, the car accesses the phone's contact list and will try to match the spoken name to a name on the list. The reason it wasn't working for me is because I hadn't allowed the car's bluetooth access to my phonebook. Once the phonebook was visible in the information display on the car, I could start to use the voice command "Dial xxxxx" with xxxx being the name of the person I want to call.

I think I preferred the old way and still a bit suspicious that none of this is mentioned in my Ford manual or on their website but at least I'm up and running now and managed to blag a set of free car mats :)

Kenny

Well, the lastest from the Ford dealer is that the "Store Name" function is no longer included in the phone menu. Instead, the car accesses the phone's contact list and will try to match the spoken name to a name on the list. The reason it wasn't working for me is because I hadn't allowed the car's bluetooth access to my phonebook. Once the phonebook was visible in the information display on the car, I could start to use the voice command "Dial xxxxx" with xxxx being the name of the person I want to call.

I think I preferred the old way and still a bit suspicious that none of this is mentioned in my Ford manual or on their website but at least I'm up and running now and managed to blag a set of free car mats :)

Kenny

That's interesting, I thought that this feature was just on the higher spec'd Fords..I wonder if this is a hardware change in the newly built fiesta's or if this ability could be added via a software update..it's a pain to only be able to use voice control for up to 20 contacts!

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to get this to work also. The STORE NAME command is accepted and then the name is requested. However the system generally tries to then DIAL !!! the name I speak (or at least it tries to match it with an entry in the phonebook).

Unlike James, I want this to work, since the stupid software design has downloaded all my google contacts, Facebook, Twitter, everything. Not only has it then mangled many of them beyond recognition, by attempting unwantedly to put them in surname order, but also renders voice dialling very uncertain - there are too many names that sound similar.

I hoped to add just the few I want to dial from the car.

<sigh> this phonebook implementation is utter rubbish. I expect better from a £14,000 car. My old Parrot handsfree gets it right every time.

I wonder if this a bugged software version that has been deployed without proper testing? It surely can't have been issued deliberately with the command implemented, but not working.

another James

Hi,

When I say "Store Name" she replies "Name Please" and regardless of what I say next, the reply is always "command cancelled, not recognised"

When I say "Help" there are three options quoted "Dial Name" "Dial Number" or a third one that I can't remember but wasn't anything relevant.

Getting ready to drive it through the showroom window! ohmy.png)

Kenny

This happens to me also. I have the voice control / bluetooth option but how do you get it to dial one of your phone's phonebook entries? I know you can use Siri for this with the iPhone, but I want to be able to press the voice control button on the car and call someone's name. The only way I can dial a number when I'm driving is to flick through the phonebook using the car's menu system or use redial in call lists, which isn't very safe when you're driving!

Every time I try it say's select function, function cancelled :(

The firmware was updated two months ago.

Having same problem with inability to store names to what I perceive is small local directory on the radio hardware itself... had my new car for ONE day and discovered the "Store Names" command is simply not recognised - this is despite what it states in handbook. I NEED this function because of the OTHER problem I discovered: my iPhone contacts list is probably too big (approx 1700 entries - don't ask) - when the device tries to find a name when spoken it fails dismally - I am guessing this is because it is frantically trying to search a massive number of potential voice tags - it RARELY gets even simple names correct. So I need to be able to create a local list on the voice control system itself with around 10 names and numbers. Someone PLEASE tell me this is possible!

Found good workaround for those of us with massive contacts lists on our iPhones (will also apply to other phones I imagine) - the Ford/Sony voice control cannot cope with, I assume, any list approaching or over 1000 without losing all voice tag accuracy. Solution is to create a small list of most important numbers but without the STORE NAME option how do you do it?

Solution to follow for anybody this applies to.

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone and SPANGLES especially,

I have the same problem with PHONE STORE NAME in my new (2nd hand) 2012 Fiesta.

SPANGLES said he would post a solution to get around it, but I don't see it in the forum item. Could you post it please. I would be grateful to read it.

Otherwise I don't know the procedure to get the systen to recognise my mobile phone list either. It is bluetooth connected, but no lists have been transferred. I only have an ASDA cheapo mobile. Could this be the problem?

Any help here would be gratefully received,

Thanks,

Frances

You're lucky to get anything from yours, no matter what I say or how I say it mine always asks for the media input?!?

• 4 months later...

I have a Ford Mondeo Collection with the exact same problem. Having an iPhone with app. 1.000 contacts - each of them usually with more phone numbers (home, mobile, company etc) - and being from Denmark with danish names in my phonebook - how on earth should an english focused voice control system be able to look up a name in my phonebook???

I had a Ford Mondeo Titanium before - which used the Converse+ system - and it worked perfectly, because I was able to store the (relatively) few names that I need to call by voice control.

This is a HUGE mistake by Ford to neglect this possibility.

Anyone know where/who to contact about this?

Also - maybe out of scope here - I was previously able to control iPod etc. from the steering wheel. Now I have to use the touch screen for a lot of these controls ... meaning that I need to remove my eyes from the road.

I really hope, that Ford recognizes this, and will provide a software update to correct this ....

I have a Ford Mondeo Collection with the exact same problem. Having an iPhone with app. 1.000 contacts - each of them usually with more phone numbers (home, mobile, company etc) - and being from Denmark with danish names in my phonebook - how on earth should an english focused voice control system be able to look up a name in my phonebook???

I had a Ford Mondeo Titanium before - which used the Converse+ system - and it worked perfectly, because I was able to store the (relatively) few names that I need to call by voice control.

This is a HUGE mistake by Ford to neglect this possibility.

Anyone know where/who to contact about this?

Also - maybe out of scope here - I was previously able to control iPod etc. from the steering wheel. Now I have to use the touch screen for a lot of these controls ... meaning that I need to remove my eyes from the road.

I really hope, that Ford recognizes this, and will provide a software update to correct this ....

It turns out, that the audio section in the Owners Manual delivered with the car isn't valid for the unit installed in the car - and there is no separate manual for that.

Luckily ... other people supplies a manual for the unit, and this partly solved my problem.

There is no "store name" command - it is called "add name" for this unit (why is it different commands for different units in Ford cars??)

The built-in help function in the unit doesn't mention this command ...

The only caveat right now is, that the unit only supports entering 5 voice controlled phonebook entries ...

So basically I have one big question for Ford: Why???

Apparently, customer satisfaction isn't a big issue ....

I rest my case.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club