Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Black Box Scam

artscot79

• 3 weeks later...

I got one fitted to my car best thing i did dont drive a daft and i had a discount of 250 for 3months of driving only reason i had one was because my insurance to much so had to

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• 1 year later...

ive had enough. seriously considering sacking off motoring for good. Insurance company just tried charging me 189 to cancel policy and deactivate box. when i joined i was told could have box removed for free whenever i chose to end policy. theyre refusing to remove it. Scumbags.

Ed you mentioned occupations that are a higher risk to insurance companies but what are low risk occupations? I know teachers and doctors are favourable but what else? I know what I do and was gobsmacked my current insurer favours it (probably because of the tests and courses we have to do and pay for)

Martin Lawrence - the money guy - has a tool on his website for finding your best choice for job title.

For example, mine is Civil Servant, Shipping Company

(Admittedly I had to play with it a little because civil serpent doesn't appear under merchant seaman lol)

Mattiti

Even though you say you we're told it was Free to Remove the Box, best thing to do is ask the Insurer to find the Recording of "When" this was said, if you are correct then they should wave the fee, if you are wrong then you pay.

And i know this sounds silly but ALL Insurer's say this, Please Check the Policy Documents on Fee's and Charges when you get them!!!

ive had enough. seriously considering sacking off motoring for good. Insurance company just tried charging me 189 to cancel policy and deactivate box. when i joined i was told could have box removed for free whenever i chose to end policy. theyre refusing to remove it. Scumbags.

Hey,

You've spotted some of the generic "Low Risk" Occupations, but it is down to the Insurer and the rates they and the underwriters favor, so for example Hastings Direct may favor a Teacher than Direct Line.

Another Example is to Try different "Styles" of the Occupation you are, so IF i was a Technical Telephony Analyst some insurance companies don't recognise that, so you can look at the title you are and what you do....so even though you are a Telephony Analyst its also Computer Based, e.g Technical Analyst, Computer Analyst, Telephone Analyst, Analyst, Data Analyst.

All of those potentially you could "Tailor" the Occupation you are to fit the insurer.

Hope this makes sense?

I can't identify other low risk occupations as i said above, depends on the insurer.

Ed you mentioned occupations that are a higher risk to insurance companies but what are low risk occupations? I know teachers and doctors are favourable but what else? I know what I do and was gobsmacked my current insurer favours it (probably because of the tests and courses we have to do and pay for)

Nearest thing to a black box I would have is this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720p-5-0MP-Dashboard-Vehicle-Car-Camera-DVR-Black-Box-Video-Recorder-/280870191833?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item41652b02d9doesnt monitor me, doesnt do me over, doesnt complain that I drive more miles than I estimated, doesnt complain about my speed, and if I have a crash, my fault or otherwise, I can prove whos fault it was.I wouldnt touch the black box with a barge pole. I do however, think it wont be long before they are mandated. I am personally confident that a PAYG VED license system is just around the corner... Given that the tax man will use anything to screw us over, if he can do me for driving a medium economical vehicle for more miles than my assumed standard cost of the Road Tax (£135) is concerned, then I am sure he will!Its a nice idea for the young driver who wants to try and get some discount, but without a big fat off switch, I wouldnt have it! but the modern black box catches far too much data, maps your movements, and can be torn apart in the event of a claim... I can just hear it now "Sorry sir, your insurance is null and void? why you ask? well, we watched your speed three days ago, and you exceeded the posted limit by 3mph and on the day of the accident, I saw you went round a corner at 28 mph in a 30 zone, although not illegal, we dont want our drivers exceeding 25 miles per hour round a corner like that, and therefore we believe that you are driving over confidentally, and as such, you MUST be responsible for the accident..."This WILL be the death of the motorist!!! we will all spend too much time judging the road conditions and deciding if this is a limit -5mph situation, or a limit - 3mph situation, just so our insurance company dont try to rip us a new one!I probably will buy the camera, and use it one front, one back, and in the event of any accidents, I will have all that I need!

Spot on!.....I couldn't have put it any better

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club