Do Not Sell My Personal Information

! Guide ! Mk7 Dash Hidden Storage

tunne1rat

As most of you know, the mk7 dash has a hidden storage area under the radio. I have no idea why Ford decided not to use it, but it's not too difficult to make use of.

I have seen some people fit a latching catch here, but the problem I see with this idea is that it is difficult to fit and as the door has to be pushed in to unlatch, so when the door is closed it always looks slightly open.

My alternative idea is a lot easier to fit.

All you need are some self adhesive magnetic pads - the type which have an A & B pad are best as they are designed to lock together accurately such as these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNETIC-TAPE-ADHESIVE-CRAFT-MAGNET-25MM-X-6-5MM-PADS-/360202604606?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item53ddbf903e

Firstly you need to remove the door panel. This can be done by inserting a plastic trim tool into the gap and levering to release the clip.

To stop the door permanently closing, simply remove the metal clip from the dash or cut the plastic pin off the door.

storage.jpg

This makes a great hiding place for iPods or portable sat navs.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I originally tried magnetic pads but found they were too weak (fell open whilst driving) and no easy method of opening (usually involved a fingernail in the the top gap)

Then installed the bin lid push catch, then swapped to Sony stereo and sealed it up again as I never used it.

But great guide as always ;)

So far the magnetic pads are holding well (I try avoiding off-roading and pot holes).

If it becomes a problem there is plenty of room to add more pads or worse case, a Tetrax magnet fitted in place of the catch!

A small loop of string or fabric could be stuck inside the door to act as a pull handle to open, but personally I like to keep it clean to deter opportunist thieves.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to remove the panel, but run out of bolox, crappin myself i was going to break it after a few days ownership I bottled out, just managed to get apart the two top corners but the middle was stiff so i quit

any suggestions?

!Removed! hell the stuff you learn about on this forum when its !Removed! it down outside,,,wil try this when the wife brings the car home,

iNath, thanks, I did it after some effort, is there a way of hinging the cover?

iNath, thanks, I did it after some effort, is there a way of hinging the cover?

Pre-2012 and it's on a hinge. Apparently this year they changed it so it's not unfortunately.

I tried the push-pull catches first but couldn't get them to line up properly leaving a gap at the flap door edge (mine is the hinged type). Then I tried the magnetic strips which were a lot better and easier to fit but the self-adhesive kept coming away in very hot weather and it kept falling open (what hot weather I hear you say !). Now I have just resorted back to the original clip as it's turned out that the cubby hole is of little use to me as it is too narrow and too deep. Could be why Ford blanked it off in the first place !

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought my '85 Zetec and have wondered about that panel. I've tried pushing it in but nothing happens. Might sound silly, but I've been too scared to push it too hard in case I break it. Is it meant to open or have you guys done modifications?

thanks!

I recently bought my '85 Zetec and have wondered about that panel. I've tried pushing it in but nothing happens. Might sound silly, but I've been too scared to push it too hard in case I break it. Is it meant to open or have you guys done modifications?

thanks!

An '85 Fiesta? Wow that's an old'un! :P

You need to pull, not push.

• 6 months later...

Might be a little late on this topic but Ihave been thinking I could maybe fit an iPhone bracket to the inside of this compartment so I don't have one on the windscreen. Does anyone know if it is safe to drill into the inside panel on the passenger side?

• 2 months later...

That is an awesome idea!

Although the magnets you bought are sold out and have ended and there doesn't appear to be any as cheap on eBay, will have to buy the more expensive ones though because i really want to do that!!

Thanks for the idea and guide!

• 1 month later...

Great idea, thanks !!

Going to give it a bash when her indoors gets home.

Cheers !

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring an old post back to life... I always wondered if that panel had something behind it but was always too afraid to find out, then saw this so had a look... opened it up and removed the clip and the majority of the time it stays shut on its own, even over bumps. Looking for ideas for this space now but probably wont find any use for it, currently has an anti slip mat in there so I can put my phone in it when its charging and connected to the blue tooth, better than living in the cup holders next to the hand break..

• 3 weeks later...

Mine has a airbag indicator in it.. Guessing that came on the 7.5?

Yeah i think the newer models use that space. It's not a practical space to use for anything anyway, i just put an anti slip matt in there so random stuff like my phone lives there when im driving

• 4 months later...

I believe that this was originally intended to be a pull out ashtray by Ford.

So without any mods I should just be able to pull it open and close it?!!?

I didnt even know it was there haha

Mine stayed shut on its own for quite a while but eventually started dropping down, so i pulled it off the hinge and left it open, still use it now for y phone, that and the cover sometimes annoyed me when changing gear id knock my hand on it

I believe that this was originally intended to be a pull out ashtray by Ford.

I would imagine that would get in the way of the gear stick depending on how far out it came

• 2 months later...

I am slightly disappointed that the MK 7 (Facelift) versions have the Airbag light in the way! - I could do with a secret compartment to store stuff in.

Hey can anyone send me the link to buy the push open/push closed hinge for the hidden dash compartment. I've seen a few but they are too big. Cheers folks

• 1 year later...

Any suggestions on where to get the magnetic pads? Can't find anything of the right dimensions to fit the door correctly, may have to end up buying a roll but seems a bit excessive as I have no other need for it!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club