Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nearside Drive Shaft Play At Gearbox End

AndyCuz

I'm not sure if i have a problem or not, a month ago i was doing an oil change when the sump plug stripped the thread so i had to replace the sump. To cut that long nightmare of a story short, i was checking a few bits whilst i was under the car. I checked the passenger side drive shaft and where it meets the gearbox after the CV joint (splined end) if i grab this i can move it side to side or up and down slightly about say 1-2mm as though there is some slight play in this. I'm not talking about the CV joint itself or end float play in and out play I'm talking about where the shaft goes into the diff it can be moved slightly up and down or side to side etc.

Is this normal or should this be rock solid and tight? I'm worried there might be worn tapered diff bearings which means a gearbox rebuild. I have no oil leak from what i can see but just wanted to see if anyone else has this same movement. This is a 2009 59 plate 1.6 TDCi with 66k.

sounds normal to me the all have a litte movment

there should be movement its only an issue when theres oil pouring out of it

its only an issue when theres oil pouring out of it

That should be the motto of all car owners clubs

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

So there should always be some slight play in this shaft? The bearing inside the diff wouldn't need to be completely tight around the splined end.

there has to be some play in it if you think about it all these parts have to move slightly up and down to accomodate the suspension travel if they were solid and tight they would split the bearing theres a seal inside there to keep the oil in when the oil starts pouring out the seals gone and will need replaced

thinking you shouldnt have any play there, the movement to accomodate suspension travel is in the tripod bearing or cv joint bit of the shaft..

the shaft should move back or forward a few mm every car you try will have a tiny amount of movement they cant be solid there should also be a few mm radial movement to allow for the torque stress put simply if theres knocking from the drive shaft while driving you have an issue if theres oil leaking from the seal you have an issue if none you dont have an issue

Not every car has movement, look at vw, audi etc. the shafts are bolted to the hubs on the box so any play is on the joints.

The mk2 focus I changed a seal on didn't have any play IIRC.. But that was a few months ago haha. I did have to lever the shaft out so out would suggest it didn't have any play

the shaft to the gearbox should have 1-2mm play at that it should barely be noticeable

It's booked in tomorrow to have the sump re sealed cos it's leaking and they'll check it. I would've thought by the time it was worn enough to play then I'd hear a noise from it.

• 9 years later...

I get slight click from mine every time i get to biting point. I can twist mine about 8mm before it clicks and engages. Did you get yours sorted? 

On 8/20/2012 at 9:47 AM, AndyCuz said:

It's booked in tomorrow to have the sump re sealed cos it's leaking and they'll check it. I would've thought by the time it was worn enough to play then I'd hear a noise from it.

Did you get it sorted? Mine twists about 8mm either way with a click that i get at biting point. Just wondering if you got it sorted? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club