Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide - To Fit Ford Focus Esp Button

Preee

A guide on how to fit an ESP Button in your Ford Focus -Preee

First of all i did not write the attached guide , this was done by some clever Russian guy , i will attach his guide as a pdf file which i have translated to English , i have not altered it in any way i have just followed it but adjusted a few things for my own fitting.

The Russian Guide ----- in Downloadable PDF translated to English >>>ESP-button.pdf

This guide does not ADD ESP to your car it just allows the Focus ST quick turn off button.

Under take any changes to your car at your own risk.

esp.png

Tools required. Approx time 3.5 hrs much of it panic :)

Finis-order code = > 1492837 silver button ESP

various screw drivers

Drill and bit 3mm

scotch locks

insulation tape

3 core 10 amp wire 2 meters long

socket set

Pliers

USB internal connector block for the required pins

shrink warp

soldering iron

3 pairs of clean boxer shorts :)

Back ground

First brought this button last year hoping it would be like the Fiesta and simply plug and play as i found i had the wiring in my Titainum.

Not so , second attempt was to try Ford , they could not activate it via IDS and also said they would not activate it !!!!.

A lot of searching let me to a Russian web site , where i found the guide , wow scratching my head and translating i thought , no no , to hard to do.

Well i translated the full guide although not perfect and decided to give it a try :)

I fitted the switch in reverse order to the guide as i found that easier.

First of all the Proof.

I will not go into the Full Guide i will just put what i found out while doing it.

Seems although i had the wiring inside the car , it stopped at connector C111 so i did not have the ST wiring loom under the bonnet.

So the only thing of use was the connector inside my car next to the heated rear screen.

You need 5 Wires to complete this MOD.

-1pin -> the 1 pin block S111-> the F19 (10A) fuse under the bonnet

-2pin -> Earth

-3pin -> backlight button connected to side lights circuit

-5pin -> the 5 pin block S111-> the 8 pin Connector C830 (connector ESP); OFF button Light signal from GEM

-6pin -> the 10 pin block S111-> the 38 pin Connector (connector block s830 ESP).Main Signal to GEM

S111 is the connector under the bonnet behind the battery which needs to be drilled to allow the fitment of 2 wires to Pin 38 and pin 8 .

Pin 1 on the switch connects to the Green/Yellow wire on Fuse 19 on the ABS in the Fuse box under the bonnet.

Most of the time taken was removing the battery and battery box and gaining entry to the underside of the fuse box.

As there are no pins to attach too in S111 i had to think hard , i finally found an old USB header block , Internal plug 8 pins , i removed a pin and tried it on the pins in S111 , perfect fit , so i set about drilling the back of the S111 to allow me to insert the pins.

That's the tricky part and please take your time on this.

Solder my wires to the pins and wrapped in shrink wrap for protection.Inserted them into the correct 38 and 8 sockets , held them in place while i push fitted S111 back into place so they did not come out. Secured the wiring again. next was the Pin 1 feed from the Fuse 19 , i scotch locked into this wire. Secured all wires and then feed them all through the large rubber gromet next to S111 .

Removed glove box and radio surround and fed the wires through to the switch.

I cut the three wires and taped them up as i did not want any part of the circuit going some where i did not know and scotch locked the wires as per the guide to the back of the plug.

And tested :)

The pins i used. and some more pictures.

20120808_134548.jpg

20120808_133154.jpg

20120808_165250.jpg

20120808_165702.jpg

20120808_150535.jpg

20120808_150506.jpg

20120808_165713.jpg

20120808_170833-1.jpg

• Like 1

Fantastic Guide mate,

i will need to invest in one of these switches,

what does the illumination look like at night, does the car image illuminate red?

I'll go and take a picture Lenny

• Like 1

Here you go night time shot of the button.

20120808_213716.jpg

20120808_213706.jpg

20120808_213654.jpg

20120808_213642.jpg

20120808_213601.jpg

• Like 1

Here you go night time shot of the button.

20120808_213706.jpg

Nice one mate, matches in really well and the yellow indicator to inform that it is in off mode is really noticable when illuminated,

top class stuff,

does the centre screen on the dash alert you that the esp is off too when you use the button,

and does the esp light display on the gauge cluster when you use the button?

If your in the menu then the cross goes off in the box for ESP.

But yes the cluster displays the skidding car in yellow when you turn it off via the button just like when you turn it off via the trip computer.

Only difference is when you turn it off via the trip computer you get a beep , which you don't get when you just press the button.

• Like 1

Awesome little mod, would love to do this but I'm crap with technical stuff :/

• Like 1

Awesome little mod, would love to do this but I'm crap with technical stuff :/

Rhino , it's not has hard as it appears , and because it looked tricky was the reason i had not attempted it , when i dug my way to the actual GEM connector i realized that it was not a big job.

The biggest part is removing the battery and that's just bolts

• Like 1

Just re-checked and yes it does display ESP-OFF on the centre cluster.

What i also noticed is that having the battery off for 3 hrs , my power windows auto open/close had set it set to having to keep my finger on the button so i had to reset all of the windows .

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I wish I had the bottle to do this mod......I'm assuming that I could half do this and replace my blank with the ESP button and piggy back off the standard illumination which would still leave it as inactive?

• Like 1

I wish there was a TC off option on the focus! Grrrrrrr

• Like 1

I wish I had the bottle to do this mod......I'm assuming that I could half do this and replace my blank with the ESP button and piggy back off the standard illumination which would still leave it as inactive?

Yes you can install the button and use the wires from the lighting so that it lights up.

This Mod only looks hard , yes it takes a couple of hours but it's really not that difficult to do :)

I would say you probably have the wiring connector in place so you could just install the button plug and play.

it's only then the three wires which i did as we don't have the ST wiring loom.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

HI GUYS, i currently purchased mk2.5 titanium on a 10' plate (3 days ago), i realized removing blank cover that it has a plug attached to it, if i were to plug a esp switch, will it plug & play ? or i do need to make loom as mentioned in early part of this topic?

yunii

• Like 1

HI GUYS, i currently purchased mk2.5 titanium on a 10' plate (3 days ago), i realized removing blank cover that it has a plug attached to it, if i were to plug a esp switch, will it plug & play ? or i do need to make loom as mentioned in early part of this topic?

yunii

The wiring is present in the Titanium , but it only goes as far as C111 in the n/s footwell , as i found out , so the wiring mod is needed.So it's is not Plug & Play i'm afraid.

This mod is easier than it looks BTW.

• Like 1

Hi Pree,

I know you no longer have your mk2.5 but can you remember the colour of the wire that I can piggy back off to get the illuminaton from the side lights? Only plan to have this switch as a dummy.

Thanks

Jason

• Like 2

Hi Pree,

I know you no longer have your mk2.5 but can you remember the colour of the wire that I can piggy back off to get the illuminaton from the side lights? Only plan to have this switch as a dummy.

Thanks

Jason

Hi Jason

It's Orange/Black you will see the same wire go to all the switche's for illumination

Hi Jason

It's Orange/Black you will see the same wire go to all the switche's for illumination

Thanks Preee :)

• 2 months later...

Hello, You mention that connector C111 is in the near side foot well. There are a lot of connectors down there. I know it's not one of the ones that fit on the GEM. Could you help with locating it.

Thanks

Having had a look behind the trim panel recently on my car to investigate what's needed; here's what I found.
Sorry there's no pictures but it was dark and the street light isn't much use and I was struggling to hold the torch and manipulate everything else.

The C111 connector is the largest (widthways) one nearest the edge of the door pillar with the wires from the loom being vertical. There's a smaller (widthways) connector mounted at angle below and forward of the C111 connector.

Do not unplug the C111 connector unless you've already disconnected the battery; make sure you have your radio code beforehand !

The C111 connector on my car had a a light blue latching handle which swings upwards and outwards (i.e. away from the floor and pillar) which releases the lower moveable half of the C111 connector downwards. The upper static half of C111 is fixed to the door pillar with two scrivets (one either side of where the loom enters the connector body) and a large plastic dog-leg clip (hidden at the back) that's part of the upper half connector's body.

If you want to remove the C111 connector from the door pillar then :-
1) Unlatch and disconnect the lower half of C111
2) Undo and remove both scrivets from the upper half of C111
3) Wiggle the upper half of C111 upwards and slightly outwards by angling the top edge away from the door pillar

Since my 2008 Focus is a Titanium I was rather hoping that I'd only have to add a few of the wires to only one side of the C111 connector; no such luck though :-(. The connector and wires for the ESP switch are not present behind the switch panel either (I checked the two taped up connectors; they were both for the heated seat controls) so I'll have to pick up the switch illumination feed from one of the other switches. Also there are no wires or pins for ESP in either half of the C111 connector at all (1, 5 and 10) which means adding a three wire mini loom through the bulkhead grommet to the C830 connector of ABS module and the engine bay fuse box. See page 81 which is titled "BRAKES-ABS/TCS/ESP(MK60)" of the Focus Mk2/Mk2.5 wiring diagram in the pinned post by Preee.

As has been mentioned by others it seems that only an ST focus will have any of the ESP switch, C111, C840 wiring in place.

The Finis code for the ESP switch has changed and is only available with a silver finish; new code is 1559485 (for reference the old Finis code was 1492837).

HTH.

Hi Thanks for this info. I will have a look at the weekend.

Dave

Hi, There it is. Not many wires in mine (Zetec) so it looks like a trip to the scrappy to get an old connector and swap a few pins over. By the way do you know the connector number for the smaller connector below? I have a DVD which hads all of the diagrams and locations hyper linked for my Mk1A Focus but doesn't cover this one. I have seen the diagrams for my current MK2.5, very usefull but it doesn't give locations unfortunatly.

Thanks

Could be C113 (CanBus and ABS) or maybe C112 (CanBus and Starting control) as they're both the same size connector and they're in roughly the same area according to the wiring harness layout diagram.

Without looking behind the two kick panels I'd guess that C112 is more likely to behind the driver's side panel rather than the passenger side.

All bets are off if your car is a L/H drive though :-)

• 1 year later...

Anyone know how much the switch is from ford?

Anyone know how much the switch is from ford?

I paid £17 from tezza with discount who works for ford dealers.

Yunii

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi There,

I am new to Focus and was thinking: How could ford release a top model w/out ESP!

Is this guide to only put the button or it actually works?

I have an MK 2,5 GHIA Version.

Thank you

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club