Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Syphon Fuel Or Drain Tank Help Please?

sarjoruss

I have a 2010 fiesta with three quarters of a tank of diesel. I am rejecting the car and returning it to the seller but don't want to give them the pleasure of the extra fuel.

I have tried this morning to syphon the fuel from the filler by putting in the plastic adapter piece inserting a long piece of hosepipe and sucking like crazy. The only thing I got out of the tank was a lung full of fumes so I gave up.

Is there an easier way?

Thanks.

Dont know if this will make any difference but the car is parked facing downhill on quite a steep slope. Can't move the car because the cambelt has broke!

Dont know if this will make any difference but the car is parked facing downhill on quite a steep slope. Can't move the car because the cambelt has broke!

It won't help it been parked on a hill and I reasonably sure that there's a one way valve in the filler pipe to stop you from being able to do this.

I have tried this morning to syphon the fuel from the filler by putting in the plastic adapter piece inserting a long piece of hosepipe and sucking like crazy. The only thing I got out of the tank was a lung full of fumes so I gave up.

Is there an easier way?

Thanks.

when syphoning from one tank to another,

you dont suck, you insert the pipe in to the tank of fuel,

then bring the opposite end of the pipe to ground level or lower than the pipe in fuel tank and Blow

in to the pipe causing air to rise from the hose inside the fuel thus creating back preissure by the fuel replacing the air in the pipe,

it wont be fast like filling the fuel mate, maybe 2 litrs an hour but it will work.

just ask for the price of the fuel , you won't get passed the one way valve , it's there to stop people getting to the fuel.

Isn't that why you put that plastic filler piece in?

The plastic filler piece is for when your filling fuel from a fuel container to emulate the pump nozzle

Exactly, the filler pipe just enables you to fill up from a jerry can bypassing Ford's EasyFuel system. There will still be anti-syphoning devices further down the pipe.

Out of interest, why are you rejecting the car?

Cambelt gone at 31000 miles, fuel pump pulley at an irregular angle. Appears vehicle had sustained quite some accident damage which wasn't advised at time of purchase.

So, how do I get the fuel out then?

I would guess the only way would be to disconnect fuel feed pipe under the engine bay, and connect another pipe to it leading to you container and use the fuel pump to pump it in , i would not advise if this was petrol , but diesel should be safe enough.

Not sure how to use the fuel pump to get it out? Can anyone please explain?

Drill a hole in the tank, let someone else worry about it later :lol:

Stef123 already thought of that but don't think the garage would be too happy about it. Probably stop the refund cheque lol.

Is it worth the hassle for £35 of diesel? Argue the toss with the dealer and ask for the cash or fuel in the new car?

The only safe way i can think of is to drive the car untill you run out of fuel. Theres no easy way to remove fuel from the tank.

Maybe its not but when you are strapped for cash, paying for a car that doesn't run every penny counts then actually £35 is worth it. If its a big job then maybe I will leave it but if its manageable I will try it.

Cambelt gone at 31000 miles, fuel pump pulley at an irregular angle. Appears vehicle had sustained quite some accident damage which wasn't advised at time of purchase.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Mind if I ask when and where you bought your Fiesta?

Due to it going through the legal system at the mo I'm afraid I cannot say.

Ford Etis recommends removing the tank to drain it.

If you are returning the car as its not what it was sold as, you are entitled to bill the garage for any work you have done and any added value that the car may have when returning it.

I had to do this when I returned a Focus to a garage which had later turned out to have been a in an undeclared write off. (Cat C, BER). I was able to return it to the garage for a full refund plus about £250 costs for some work I had done it.

If you are giving it back with considerably more fuel than you got when you bought it, thats added value. Simply ask for a refund plus the cost of the fuel. You are well within your rights.

If you want advice, try Citizens Advice Bureau, they were really good helping me with it.

How do the AA & RAC do it when you misfuel a car. I know you cannot do it to a Fiesta but surely there must be a way...