Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Bought A Bunch Of Stuff To Clean The Car...

jg321

Well, looks like I was unable to avoid a bit of impulse buying while I was browsing cleanyourcar.co.uk! I've just purchased:

CleanYourCar Huge 'Fluffy' Drying Towel: £8.95

Sonus Gloss Shampoo: £6.95

Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt: £9.95

Hopefully I'll get a better finish than what I get using a sponge any chamois. At some point I might well polish it and get rid of a slight scratch on the wing (managed to key it myself - what a !Removed!!). Usually get pretty bored though about half way through washing it!

Post up some post wash pics mate! I'm really sad about washing the car, I actually enjoy it, last time my girlfriend went away to the states I spent 13 hours over 2 days cleaning the focus. She's off again on Saturday so could be another clean in order!

Post up some post wash pics mate! I'm really sad about washing the car, I actually enjoy it, last time my girlfriend went away to the states I spent 13 hours over 2 days cleaning the focus. She's off again on Saturday so could be another clean in order!

Will do! Hah, I always love the idea but the novelty wears off really quickly, usually about one or two panels in!

Been using the age old method of single bucket and sponge. Tonight I've learnt that might not be the best idea!

Will let you know how I get on :)

you're fine with a single bucket with a wash mitt, the dirt will become buried in the mitt so its not dragged across the paint. remember too to wet the entire car before going near it with the washmitt, that will gently remove most loose dirt so it is not dragged across the paint work. i find the washing itself pretty tedious but when you've got it clean; claying, polishing, sealing and waxing can be really satisfying when you see what a really deep gloss and shine you can get from your car. and putting the effort in to keep it waxed makes keeping it cleaner much easier the next time!

Yeah I see what you mean actually. I'm just about to move somewhere with an underground car park (also not in the middle of a field like now!) as well so should be easier to keep clean!

ah mate im the same! i live in a block of flats in bristol with an underground car park. its great because the car doesnt get as dirty, no scraping windows in winter and you can clean or generally work on the car regardless of the weather. only problem is i need to keep running between the garage and the flat to get buckets of water and of course, no hose, so have to use a watering can. i got some pretty funny looks from other people in the garage!

instead of using just water to rinse the car before washing, get some magifoam from autobrite and see the dirt fall off. it stays on the car for between 10-20 mins and rinse off, then wash the car. makes a huge difference. also try claying the car and see how much stuff it removes from the paint work - you'll be amazed!

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=271185

clay bar is the next step for sure! Got loads of visible crap all over my car, never mind the invisible stuff. Claying seemed like a lot of work though?!

Claying is actually dead easy and quick mate, let the lubricant do its work and let the clay just glide over. No need to exert any pressure. As soon as the the clay starts to grab on the paint spray more lubricant. Turtle wax do a good clay/ lubricant kit for about £16 in Halfords I think. I guarantee you'll be impressed with how much dirt the clay removes and how smooth it leaves the paint.

And I don't need to do anything after claying, eg wash it again? I must admit guys you've got me tempted!

Just looking at the magifoam stuff, is it possible to use it without the pressure washer attachment? I know the pressure washer has a clear pipe for detergent, can it be used like this, or would that be too diluted?

Thanks for all the tips guys!

best wax ive used is turtle wax super hard Shell liquid wax

• Legendary Super Hard Shell® protection leaves a lasting Turtle Wax® shine.

Be careful this time of year if you live in a relatively rural area though, the farmers round here are harvesting at the moment and there is dust everywhere. I gave mine a really good clean, clay and wax last weekend but I needn't have bothered as it's filthy again.

I live in the middle of a field, literally. Move house though soon to the centre of Manchester so will do it just before then!

best wax i've had dodo juice rainforest rub. I usually seal my car after polishing with autoglym extra gloss sealant (sealants are synthetic waxes)and treat it a few times a year to a few layers of the dodo juice for added depth and gloss. the best i've used was blackfire midnight sun on a mate's car, the depth of the gloss was amazing, even on a silver car, although here you're starting to get into quite expensive waxes and solid rather than liquid so a bit harder to use. for general cleaning i apply a layer of autoglym sealant then 2-3 layers of meguirs liquid wax (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_200371_langId_-1_categoryId_165527#BVRRWidgetID)

this stuff is nice and easy to apply and buff off and gives a nice shine (and nice water beading too!) best part tho is that it smells amazing!!

i tend to give it a quick wash after the claying just to remove any residue or contaminants that have been lifted out of the paint by the clay but left on the surface. doesnt take long for a quick wipe over and rinse and if youre going to the effort of polishing/sealing/waxing the paint you want to make sure the surface is as clean as possible, no point sealing in dirt! it will pay dividends in the end for the extra shine it achieves.

afraid I cant comment on the foam, i've never had a pressure washer, tbh i only thought you could use foam/snow with pressure washers but i'm happy to be proved otherwise!

and as I mentioned before, building up layers of wax will help make it much easier to clean later!

any other questions just ask mate!

I dont use any water to wash car,i use proshine which cleans and waxes the car with no need for water.If you have never used it before once youve tried it you wont go back to water,Takes me about 15 mins to clean and wax the car.

hi mate, wash/wax type shampoos are good for giving the car a quick clean and shine but they cannot do as good a job as stand alone products (shampoo or wax). Waxes are based on long chain hydrocarbons, which by their chemical nature are hydrophobic, i.e. they do not mix with water. To get round this I can only work out that the surfactants included in the soap must be carrying the 'wax', but this detracts them from doing their job of trapping the dirt. Often, in these type systems, silicones are added which gives the surface a temporary shine and water repellency, but wont last, and doesnt offer as much protection to the paint.

also, if it does apply a wax layer, you then cannot polish the paint work! I'm also wary of waterless systems, unless you rinse off the dirt first you are dragging it all over the car risking scratches and swirl marks over time.

im currently using armorall shield, the water beads off like crazy. i use autoglymn hd wax after washing normally.

not sure about being able to use magifoam without a lance though, not sure if it needs pressure to foam up. if you have a bottle connected to a hosepipe then give it a bash.

not sure about being able to use magifoam without a lance though, not sure if it needs pressure to foam up. if you have a bottle connected to a hosepipe then give it a bash.

Got the pressure washer and the 'standard' lance. Was wondering if I could just use the detergent "input?!" into the bottle rather than specific bottle type lance thing?!

You guys rule btw :)

i use magi foam thro a proper foaming lance on a kartcher power washer... i did try the detergant bottle that came with the power washer but results were imo megga poor... the lance cost me 50 pounds with i think 1ltr of magi foam from auto brite.... would recommend to any1....... i used to be a valeter, i put alot of time and effort into the scoob, but when we got the focus i lost heart until thursday night then i took this yeaterday ( hope you dont mind the pic)

SAM_2017.jpg

i think it looks kinda ok, but still not impressed, yeah thats me with the kids in the reflection lmao

Got the pressure washer and the 'standard' lance. Was wondering if I could just use the detergent "input?!" into the bottle rather than specific bottle type lance thing?!

its the air imput i think that mixes with the water that gives you the foam, pull your cable out and try it in a bottle of mixed snowfoam, granted it wont anywhere as good as the lance but ok untill you can purchase 1. dialution rate personally in a 1 ltr bottle is 100ml of magi foam, 900ml water.... but remember this is a pre wash stage.....

best wax i've had dodo juice rainforest rub. I usually seal my car after polishing with autoglym extra gloss sealant (sealants are synthetic waxes)and treat it a few times a year to a few layers of the dodo juice for added depth and gloss. the best i've used was blackfire midnight sun on a mate's car, the depth of the gloss was amazing, even on a silver car, although here you're starting to get into quite expensive waxes and solid rather than liquid so a bit harder to use. for general cleaning i apply a layer of autoglym sealant then 2-3 layers of meguirs liquid wax (http://www.halfords....27#BVRRWidgetID)

this stuff is nice and easy to apply and buff off and gives a nice shine (and nice water beading too!) best part tho is that it smells amazing!!

I would suggest that this is backwards. You can't polish with a sealant - the sealant is in no way abrasive and has no filling properties either. Your EGP is also not a good basis for wax, you should reverse your method and wax then seal.

To the OP - if you're looking to keep your car in top order the most basic step you should introduce is the two bucket method, preferably with grit guards fitted to both.

To snow foam - you need a specific lance. The detergent input won't get the suds going as well - you might get something out of it but not enough to justify the cost of the snow foam.

Thanks for all the input guys. Will start simple, two bucket mitt cleaning method, then see how I go from there.

Now it's time to enjoy the sun, and I don't mean washing the car (although I may end up washing the girlfriend's!!).

JG