Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flashing Oil Light? Leak? Pics Added...

Wayney

hey guys

I got a focus 1.8 TDDI estate recently, and the oil light keeps flashing... seems to be worse when accellerating. Ive been told it may be a pressure switch, but after looking in the engine, i came across what looks like fresh oil... ive enclosed some pics of the oil patches, and the area where i noticed it.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

CIMG2275_1024x768.jpg

CIMG2274_1024x768.jpg

CIMG2278_1024x768.jpg

Silly question, but you have checked you are filled up to the top with oil?

yeah, levels are fine, and not noticed it go down at all

i would do the pressure switch, and see if it fixs it

frist

oil can seep all over the place. I would agree, do the pressure switch, and clean this area. Check again after a drive, and see if there is any oil there. Do you get oil drips on the floor whilst parked??

Not noticed any drips yet. Nor any signs of the oil level going down... Is the switch easy to find/do for a total novice? My mechanic will do it pretty cheap otherwise

let your mechanic do it if its cheap if it go,s worng it down to him to sort

should be easy to do

Is oil around that joint normal though?

Give that joint a thorough clean, and then keep a close eye on it.

If fresh oil appears, you have the culprit.

If no fresh oil appears, then what you see now is just a slow accumulated build up over time.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll give the engine a clean monday and get the oil pressure switch replaced, then keep a close eye on the dirty area and see if that stays clean :) I've only had it a week, and already some faults, so just a little paranoid i guess lol

It'll be fine!

If the levels are all ok and there is oil sloshing around, you're not about to seize up, which is the important thing!

Ok, got the oil pressure switch fitted today (pics added), however after 10 mins of driving the light came back on as normal.... What would be the next step? or what could it be? theres still no obvious sign of any actual leak, i dont see its a wire/lose connection since it only starts when the engine is warmed up, and linked to accelleration etc

sorry for the poor quality, they were taken on my phone

switch1.jpg

switch2.jpg

I'm no expert but could disconecting the battery help ?

failing that it may be a a add a short or a faulty bulb on the dash.

i thought/bulb or wire, but surely it would then happen all the time? not only when the engine is hot

why does that sound bad? lol.. we will have 3 months parts/labour warrenty... just waiting for the paperwork to come through. Would that be covered on it? and how do i find out if it IS the pump?

It might do.

You need to have the oil pressure tested. Any good garage should have the kit for this

ok, will contact the garage tomorrow! IF it is that, is it a pricey job? ive seen on euro car parts the kit is around £60... but how long would it usually take a garage to do?

If you have recently, say in the last 3 months bought the car from a garage, you should be able to get it fixed under warranty.

hmmm... got it a week ago! lol W reg, paid £1200.... the garage owners are away for 2 weeks in France.. they get back next Monday

Regardless of price the garage is responsible for selling a car that is fit for purpose, normally a garage would want to fix the fault and keep you happy to maintain there reputation, any problems then talk to trading standards at your local council.

Not sure what is involved specifically for your car but the sump needs to be removed to get at the pump.

So probably a few hours labour, pump kit and sealant for the sump.

It could be the pickup for the pump just needs cleaned!

+1 above.

Either that or some blocked oil lines. When was the last time it had a thorough oil and filter change?

The previous pressure switch might not have been faulty and was genuinely telling you the pump or lines weren't supplying enough pressure under hard acceleration.

Worth a punt giving it a full oil and filter change and maybe even using one of those gunk removing products.

Oh add to that seeing as you got it only a week ago I would've taken it back by now.

Hate to break it to you but spending money on a car you've just bought is not on, especially north of £1k isn't on. The only thing is they might look dimly on you already changing things on it.

Oh add to that seeing as you got it only a week ago I would've taken it back by now.

Hate to break it to you but spending money on a car you've just bought is not on, especially north of £1k isn't on. The only thing is they might look dimly on you already changing things on it.

I totally agree, so many posts relate to faults on recently bought cars that the owners are trying to fix themselves instead of returning them to the garage under warranty, it's a no brainer. :huh: