Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knock From Front Of Car

ChrisH

I wonder if anyone can offer advice.... I have a knocking noise coming from under the front of the car, that only happens when braking, with hard or soft braking... It definitely sounds like a metal knock/Clunk.

I have had it looked at and mechanic said nearside controll arm balljoint was worn, so I replaced the whole control arm assembly, which also showed the rear bush was shot at. the noise was still there, but much reduced in intensity and frequency. I had a look at the other side, and the rear bush also looked worn, so today I replaced the offside control arm assembly, and the bush looked more worn than the other side.

The knock noise however is still there..... Again intensity a little reduced, and frequency. The previous mechanic mentioned the antirollbar bushes were OK, but he did not remove the undershield to physically inspect them, just did it by touch when on a ramp.

Has anyone any ideas what this could be. Its still only there under light or hard braking, and its a definite clunk noise. If it was hard braking then I would have thought something thats being hit, as loads are transferred to the front, but there surely cant be that much load transfer under light braking. I was thinking maybe an engine mount, but one has recently been removed, as the CamBelt was changed, and the offside engine mount has to be removed to do this.

Could the caliper mounting bolts be a little loose, or should be be suspecting anti rollbar bushes??

Dont want to start chucking money at this to be honest, so would welcome any advice anyone has....

Cheers

ive had new wishbones and cv jpints ford have went over the front and its just passed an mot and the guy was thorough also the drop links have been done brakes and calipers checked to no avail ive given up till it gets worse even the master tech test drove it and had it on the ramps he said just to drive it as the braking is fine and straight no movement in wheels or disks etc and there was nothing out of alignment as it was checked on the 4 wheel machine

Thanks Artscot. So you have the same issues?? Forgot to add also replaced the droplinks as well. Front disks and pads replaced about 3 months ago. No steering issues, or braking issues like you, just intermittantly this odd metallic clunk under braking.

Tracking does need doing, as steering wheel a bit to the left when driving stright. Not checked CV joints, but there no clicking when on full lock. I have noticed (forgot to mention :wacko: ) a very slight quiet clunk very very occasionally when going over a bump, sometimes when brakes on as well. Did Ford check your anti rollbar bushes??

I'm probably gonna be wrong but sounded really similar to when I had my clio sport.... started to clunk every time I put breaks on soft or hard etc turned out to be an engine mount block...

engine mounts all ok and the car was just through an mot the other day and trust me the guy was hauling at the suspension and checking everything he found no issues either so im just gonna leave it

Just out of interest, what year is your car... Mine is a late 56 plate. I feel the same as you, but its damn annoying all the same. Only thing i can possibly think of is loose pads, or something with suspension top mounts maybe. I an sure these have a rubber bush in there.... Its odd that its gone from quite loud most of the time, to very intermittant now, after replacing the wishbones....

Just out of interest, what year is your car... Mine is a late 56 plate. I feel the same as you, but its damn annoying all the same. Only thing i can possibly think of is loose pads, or something with suspension top mounts maybe. I an sure these have a rubber bush in there.... Its odd that its gone from quite loud most of the time, to very intermittant now, after replacing the wishbones....

january 2006 on a 55 plate i doubt its the top suspension strut bushes as theres no movement in the strut it is annoying mines intermittent sometimes it does it sometimes it doesnt yet its only on light braking pads are okay as well

Its a !Removed! mystery... My brother in law has also asked around his mechanic colleguree, and their mates, but noone has a clue, after knowing whats been replaced/checked. Will just have to live with it, cant keep chucking cash at it... BTW, is yours petrol or diesel artscot? Went all way to work today, not a sound until i got off m-way. Onway home same again, but sometimes knock quite loud, sometimes not....

petrol mate mines the same as youres i might be getting the strut bush done in the next week so ill report back if theres any diffrence

Which one is the strut bush? (sorry for sounding thick). is it the top mount?

Hope it works, let me know, if you dont mind.... My mechanic brother in law is off to talk to one of his mates, who works for ford, see if my local dealer has heard of this problem, because apart from these top mounts, I have no idea what it could be..... Its obviously something moving when loads are being transfered, unless (clutching some straws), its something in the pedal box.....

With yours being petrol, does seem to rule out engine mounts, as they will be different for diesels....

the top mounts yes its not the pedal box as i can hear it from the passenger side only ill let you know what happens

Thanks for that. Odd, i can hear my noise seeming to be coming from both sides randomly. Also looked in the haynes manual, and i may be wrong, but it does look like the top mount is integral to the shock unit....

Not really able to help but I have noticed a clunk / knocking noise in my car, seems to come from the front end, sounds like its the lower steering joint through the floor.

I only ever hear it when pulling off from a junction on a sharp steering angle and sometimes on breaking into corners.

Only a faint noise and has no apparent effect on the car

Mines a 60 plate from early 2011 with 30000 on the clock

• 3 weeks later...

Guys.... Just an update. brother in law and I poured over the manual, trying to suss this out, and came across a lower engine mount, called a lower engine torque rod/movement limiter link. Its attached to the subframe and gearbox. As this happens under braking, and therefore is probably due to weight being moved, we got the car up on stands this morning. brother in law put his hand up just behind the engine splash panel underneath, and immediately pulled out around a 1/3 of this bush. It was all generally oily and soft rubber. Going to replace this link, and see if it cures it. I dont have a manual for a petrol car, but it may be worth checking as well.

ive already been told that the strut mounts for petrol and diesel are the same only the springs that are different so the mounts are possible also that if a pad is sticking it will make the car think that one wheel isnt holding kicking in the abs which can cause the thump as technically one of the pads is already in contact with the disk before the other side i dont have that rod so i wont imagine it was that

Well replaced the rear torsion link today. Wehn underneath, there was def play in the bush, as the engine could be rocked, and the rod was moving around. Pig to change, but now the engine is rock solid, and absolutely no play in it. unfortunately....... its not cured the knock under braking. Still the same, variable pitch, seems to come from either side, and sometimes where a transmission tunnel would beif you get my drift. Occ feel it through the brake pedal, when it tends to be a louder clunk.

Just thought I would add to my tale of woe. Utterly stumped now.....

it could be simple if any of the brakes stick just a tad then the knock could be the a.b.s as one piston is stuck against the disk the other is free the a.b.s for that moment believes the free wheels sliding and you get the knock

Yeah. I may pull the fuses for the abs, and then take.it for a drive... If no knock its either a faulty abs sensor or brake issue i would have thought. There are 2 fuses for the abs though, does anyone know which one i should pull to disable it temporary, or should i pull both? At least i know its defo not a steering or suspension issue now

Seem to recall this starting after i replaced a rear caliper, and did a complete fluid change. Haynes didnt mention any special procedures for changing fluid with regards to abs at all. Is there any way of testing abs systems or sensors?

from what i understand its not an abs fault mate its just effecting the abs mine stopped after i got a sticky passenger brake caliper sorted the ford tech sussed it out quickly and stated that for that brief moment as i release the pedal the brake had stuck but the other was free making the abs think that the free wheel was slipping

Is yours now sorted then.... If it is, then im happy you got it sorted. Hope its the same for mine. Giving the brakes a through going over wss the next logical step . Reason ive ignored then is that new front disks and pads were fitted in may, to cure judder, it was a warped.front disk. New rear pads, and a rear caliper in june + complete fluid change. I will let you know what i find....

Ps my noise is when appling brakes though, not when releasing, and its sometimes a couple of seconds after appling them. Do hope its the same issue, im about ready to park it on a cliff and release the handbrake

Thanks artscot... Would you mind if I asked a couple more questions?? This issue is driving me mental.... :angry: :angry:

Have you been 'knock' free on braking since the ford tech sorted the caliper out?

Did you hear the noise just from the passenger side, or was it variable from both sides, and was the pitch variable sometimes soft, sometimes like someone has hit the bulkhead...

Just for interests sake, what made the mechanic check for a sticky caliper? You mentioned in a previous post that ford had checked the brakes, and did he just lube up the caliper guides.

Been paying more attention to the braking today, and I have noticed that sometimes the pedal is a bit softer than other times, when its very hard and right at the top.

knock free it was just passenger side and yes sometimes it was soft sometimes louder he took the caliper off and checked lubed cleaned up everything greased the guides etc and all was good after that he did say one of the guides was a bit rusty and cleaned it all up

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club