Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knock From Front Of Car

ChrisH

Thanks alot artscot. I appreciate your time.

Will get on and remove both front calipers and give them a good cleaning and relube the guides. I will be a little unhappy if thats the issue, as the new front brakes and disks were fitted by a garage, so they have obviously not cleaned the guides or used the wrong grease. Brother in law fitted new rear caliper and pads, and I know he lubes the calipers, as he had little packets of Bosch brake grease......

seems like i've the same problem, got the car up on axle stands and got a mate to put it in gear and let the clutch out rev to about 2000 then clutch in and brake gently, doing that replicates the knocking that i've been getting while driving, only managed a quick look tonight and although the engine jumps quite a bit when he gently brakes and it makes the noise, i couldnt find the cause, dont think its a brake problem though, gonna try have a look tomorrow

We thought it was engine movement. There was some movement before we replaced the rear gearbox mount/torsion bar. There is no movement in engine now.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this......

finally got around to checking out the brakes. The front guides all looked OK, and calipers moved fine.Rears also looked OK, and all correctly lubed up. Recleaned the front caliper guides, and regreased the guides, with the correct brake grease.... Also noted that the middle section of the exhaust heat shield was hanging off as well, so pulled that off, as it was making clanking noises.

unfortunately its still doing it :angry: :angry:

Its a little softer now, and not as frequent. I do suspect its some kind of pad knock, but cant for the life of me think whats causing it. I have had a think of the timeline to this, and suspect it appeared after the rear pads, and offside rear califer were replaced. I also renewed the brake fluid at this time as well. Could renewing the fluid have caused some issue with the ABS?? I have also noted that when its not doing it, the pedal is very hard, as I would expect for new pads all round, and new front disks. When it does make the knock, the pedal is that little bit softer. Could I have a lazy piston, or something like that (is that even a diagnosis :unsure: ), and how would I check which one it is. I would be fairly sure its coming from the fronts, as the noise is def from the front. Suppose the only way to really check is to dismantle the caliper and check the seals etc.

• 2 weeks later...

i have the same problem for over a year now, changed track rod ends , top struts bush and mount , and sure ive done drop links - seems even worse now even though just done the struts - feel like just setting fire to it ....... doing my head in .- it knocks like hell if i blip the gas in 3rd on and off jerking the car and engine or sometimes when letting the clutch in first and second gear i was thinking engine mounts or lower engine/gearbox mount ?? -but the noise/knocking/clunk deffinately comes from both sides of the front of the car wheel/suspension area.

check the back of the disks for a lip or scoring clear sign of a lazy piston

I will have a check again but can't see it being that as mine does have abs or ever had a hard or soft brake petal , knocks all the time when in neutral free wheeling or in gear driving along braking and not even touching the pedals free wheeling again , am proper stumped - thanks for your reply by the way .....hopefully I'll find it before I throw in the towel and get rid , shame as mine only got 67k on the clock with many years of life left but totally frustrated with the knocking from both front sides of the car .....

your issue sounds like front droplinks or front anti roll bar bushes

• 5 months later...

Sorry to ressurect, just wanted to feedback on eventual solution to this.... Noise actually went away on its own, so I put it down to a sticky piston, that had finally moved beyond the sticky bit. Recently as I have previously posted had issues with the handbrake, and the car started to make this noise again, and after investigation, we found that the whole issue was due to a faulty rear caliper, that was only fitted June last year. It seems that its not been pulling the handbrake on properly, and the pads were unevenly worn as well. (Probably what was causing the clunk). This however has stretched the N/S handbrake cable, as this is the only one that was doing anything. So we have had to fit a new rear caliper (under warrenty thank god), and its going in to local garage this week for a new handbrake cable, as it really needs ramps to do this. Hopefully that will be it, as since fitting the new calpier, no brake clunk now.

garage also sorting the injector seal at the same time.

We live and learn, but thanks for the advice everyone. hope this solution helps someone else.....

mine went away and hasnt returned in 4 months or so i did have new pistons fitted to the rear drums so it ties in with what you say ill know if it returns to have the rears looked at

i know your sorted now, but just a heads up

had a similar problem on a vw, turned out to be the brake pads were moving within the caliper, took me forever to pin down as looking and feeling by hand you only got a miniscule amount of movement, but made a quite audible but inconsistant, knock...cured it by fitting a different brand of pads, which were that little bit more of a snug fit.....just wondering if the cure you found was inadvertantly down to just changing brand of pad.

ford did mention some types or brands of paad have been the cause in the past but i had original ford then mintex and it was the same with both but it is always a possibility

Pads i have in now are not ford, i think they are girling, but they are the same brand as the last lot.....

Strangely warranty direct told me that 47% of all claims are front or rear suspension related on the focus 31% are knocks etc the dealers cannot diagnose a common knock from the mk2 and ive done a few now is the heatshield that goes from the lower bulkhead slap bang in the centre to under the car that sounds like its coming from the suspension but it isnt

• 1 month later...

Never found where my knocking noise when I brake is coming from, it still does it, checked everything I could think of, passed the mot ok so not a safety issue, just annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

i have had the same problems

and all i had done was to change the anti-roll bar link arms

and the knocking stoped

you could try it

kev

I'll have a look next time I'm under the car, checked everything I could think of last time for any play and none was found.

that was one thing i found to when i got hold of the bar i to could not feel and play in them

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club