Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Problem

Mr Singh

if you have read my introduction you will know i dont have a ford but my mum has a focus and loves fords.

we bought my mums focus from an independant dealer back in november as a trade sale as im a mechanic (so no warrenty) and its been going well... untill recently.

iv notices when on start up there is an engine rattle for about 3 seconds and then its gone, as if the oil pressure is low, and it happens intermittantly. it did it twice on me this morning, both were short journeys to the shops. the oil level is ok, i did a full service (plugs, air filter, oil filter, oil) with genuine ford bits and used the oil in the pumps at work. it was 5w30 which Jaguar also use in there engines and its ford approved oil aswell as using engine flush.

my mum and dad went to coventry and my dad was driving and he said that when he put his foot down to over take, the car didnt pick up, as if it had no power and then it picked up and went. iv noticed this not so much while driving but when setting off in first. initialy you'll have nawt and then you do

if done the clutch slip test, put in 5th at 30 and then floor it, and have to say it pulls like a train, no signs of clutch slip.

the car is a 2006 registed 55 plate focus saloon which has done 30,030 miles when we bought it and its done roughly 36,000 miles now

Welcome, need a bit more info fella, what engine are we dealing with? Petrol or diesel? Auto or manual?

I've found with my 1.8 petrol, if I 'gun' it on a motorway, it won't pick up below say 4k. I read somewhere the petrolatum are good, but only really high up in the rev range. They like it fast!

Maybe for a bit more take off, drop it down a cog?

Regards the engine rattle. All cars can sound a but rattley from cold, as much as an oil pump can pressurize the lines, it may take a couple 100 of revs before everything is all lubed up, which could lead to the odd rattle. The important thing is it goes away!

as above depends on the engine if its a tivct then the injector rattle is common and nothing to worry about even if its not and it goes away theres not much to worry about the basic 1.6 i believe likes high revs the tivct certainly does though its quite torquey

not sure on these engines, but could be the hydraulic valve lifters taking a while to fill. If its a diesel, then rattles are pretty much the norm when cold. My 1.8TDCi sounds like an old van some very cold mornings, but this only lasts a min or so, and goes away when at the end of my road. With regrds to the pickup, again if its a diesel, try putting into 4th, and flooring the pedal at around 20ish. it will be sluggisg until the turbo kicks in, and then you will get a surge of acceleration.

my bad should have said its a 1.6 petrol 115 BHP. since we bought it in november iv always filled it with Shell v-power.

iv got a mate at volvo (who use the sinilar engine in the smaller volvos) who says that there are 4 vaccume valves that fail on there engines, that cause the intermittant lack of power.

we dont do enough miles a year to justify a diesel and with EOYLS on the 1.6 TDCI which has to be refilled and level sensor reset, its a pain in the backside! the mileage in do in my smart forfour mileage has gone up considerably and could do with a diesel but i like my pertol one too much

in reguards to the hydraulic tappets/valves once they have been filled they shouldnt rattle again untill they drain. and it takes a long time for them to drain

the car can be parked up over night (from about 6/7pm till 7.30am unless, i nick it) and it will fire up, no rattle, but other times it will be parked for a few hours and then rattle for 3 seconds and then all is well

as above depends on the engine if its a tivct then the injector rattle is common and nothing to worry about even if its not and it goes away theres not much to worry about the basic 1.6 i believe likes high revs the tivct certainly does though its quite torquey

surely the few second rattle is to do with the timing side of things/solenoid etc and not the injectors? cant see why the injectors would cause a rattle..

what bhp is the tivct? 115?

what bhp is the tivct? 115?

115 BHP TIVCT

115 BHP TIVCT

the rattle sounds to me like its coming from the variable timing side of things, a solenoid or pulley etc. the lack of power could also be related to this

the rattle sounds to me like its coming from the variable timing side of things, a solenoid or pulley etc. the lack of power could also be related to this

ahh pants! can anyone narrow this down... if that could be a case of going to one of the many ford dealers in leeds for a diagnstic check.

• 1 month later...

took it to benfield ford for a diagnostic check and they said that the coil pack was starting to break up, bought one and it seams better now... just the engine rattle that needs sorting now. im guessing its an oil problem as its started about 2-3 months ago and the service is due in november. might be worth changing the oil ever 6 months if thats the case

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club