Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.8 Ztec Problems

stewart_2004

Hi I have just got myself a 1.8 Zetec I got the car cheap as it was sold with engine problems the owner thought it was a snapped timing belt. I have had a quick look inside the covers and the belt still seems to be holding tention. I will have a closer look when I get a chance. What signs should I be looking out for when I have a look the car hasn't lost any fluids the are all at normal level I will try and turn the engine over by hand and see how it feels. If the belt has gone whats the cheapest option to get it fixed fix engine or get a 2nd hand one ?

Regards Stew

Depends on the level of damage. If the belt has indeed snapped you're at least going to be looking at bent valves, possible piston damage. Might be as easy to get a reconditioned engine.

Well today I had chance to have a good look at the car, I turned the engine over by hand and the belt has not snapped and there is no problems when it is turning it all seems to turn smooth. So I tryed to start the car and the battery was dead so after getting a new one I tryed it, and all that happens is the engine makes a clicking noise no attemp to start or turn over it just continusly clicks ?

does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong ?

regards

stew

Sounds like the starter motors bust mate.

Ok thanks for advice can I give it tap with a hammer to try and free it up ?

You can do what you like its your car lol.

Checklist, the clicking you hear is the relay so its unlikely to be that.

A1: CHECK THE battery

A2: CHECK THE STARTER RELAY

A3: CHECK VOLTAGE TO STARTER RELAY CIRCUIT 50 - BB17 (GY/OG)

A4: CHECK CIRCUIT 50 - BB12 (GY) FOR OPEN

A5: CHECK THE STARTER MOTOR FEED

A6: CHECK OPERATION OF GEARSHIFT MODE SWITCH CIRCUIT 50S - BB12 (GY) AND 50 - BB14 (GY/RD) (AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE)

I'd do the easy checks before all this. Check the leads to the starter arent loose.

The starter relays fine mate, thats whats clicking.

What I'd do is check the leads to the starter are tight and connecting. If they are get a meter on the leads and check if theres power to them when you turn the key. If not, it could be as simple as a fuse. If there is, you're back to the motor itself, and its likely to be the solenoid thats sticking.

Right I had a play today with the car fully charged battery one hammer and starter motor lol I gently hit the starter afew times tryed to crank engine still click did it again noting a little harder and the cam shafts started moving but was still not turning fast enough coould it just be a faulty starter ?

well tryed a new starter today but engine is still doing the same thing just turning over really slowly any ideas what could be wrong ?

How many times did you turn the engine by hand?

Try taking the plugs out and crank it. See if it turns over any quicker.

HI Gaz I turned the engine over by hand about 4 times. I have fully charged the battery and when I crank it im getting 10V on the volt meter. I will try and take the plugs out and see what happens.

Last night I had a play with the car to see if I could get it started first thing was I checked the earh leads all looked clean starter motor cables were secured ok. tryed to start the car I could hear the fuel pump kicking in, but still the cams spin slow this time it made a few popping noises along the way. So I removed the plugs and tryed to turn by hand still seemed ok. tryed to crank car with plugs out to see if that speeded things up but still no joy. Removed the rocker cover and cheked the timing marks & they looked as if they were alligened correctly.

I made a few videos to show whats actually happening sorry for poor quality It was on my phone.

th_174mov.jpg

<p>

th_175mov.jpg

That sounds terrible :( Doesnt seem like the engine is turning over slow tho. Have you tried a compression test? Do you know if your getting any oil pressure?

Could be cam or crankshaft problems internally !!!! best way to find this out is to drop the sump and check for metallic particals or whole pieces of metal, from your video it sounds terrible !!!!! maybe best off with a second hand engine !

Its just like doing a compression test. Only you take out the oil pressure switch instead of the plugs.

Thanks gaz can I just use my compression tester for the oil aswell then ?

Also is it the switch near the oil filter ?

I tried to do a compression test on the car tonight but for some reason my Gunson tester wont screw into the focus spark plug holes even though it looks the correct size. this is the tester I have

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165557

So then I tryed to check the timing and set the cams to TDC as I purchased the laser camshaft tool and crankshaft pins to see if everyhing was timed ok. In the haynes it says to align both cams and then lock them with the tool but I cant seem to get mine to both line up The front cam which I take it its the exhaust seems to be always abit off when the rear cam cut out it horizontal no matter how hard I try the wont line up am I doing something wrong ?

If you p.m me with your email address and the engine code I can send you everything you need to know about timing the engine up. The oil pressure switch should be on the side of the block somewhere. Never changed one so cant say where exactly. But I can try find out for you.