Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Fiesta Facelift Steering Wheel Issues

fordmad86

I have purchased a lovely MK4 Facelift (W reg) Fiesta! :D

However, I am 6ft 5 and my knees tend to hit the steering wheel and the steering column is non-adjustable :blink:

I have got adjustable seat bolster which can be lowered, however anyone that has got this will know that yes it lowers the back, but when it does this it highers the front slightly so this hasnt really helped.

So I have a three part question......

1) can you replace the current steering rack with a height adjustable steering rack (Straight swap from scrappy)?

2) I took the seat out to fiddle around and noticed that the 4 legs are at all different heights, I have researched everywhere and cannot find any adjusted rails that are not as highly raised from the base of the car - does anyone know if this item is available or is it just worth grinding the legs off and shortening them myself?? (last resort) :wacko:

3) Can you remove the steering wheel (standard fiesta style with airbag in middle) and permanantly disable the airbag (no lights on dash etc) and fit a smaller / different shapped steering wheel?

Any help regarding this would be gratefully appreciated as I rerally do not want to have to sell this car

Thanks

:D :D :D

You can remove the steering wheel yeah, maybe fit a momo wheel or a cheaper brand, you can grind the legs down, shouldnt be too hard.

But i have a question... whats a fiesta mk4 facelift?

To remove the steering first off disable the airbag by pulling the fuse or knocking the cb, i dont know how to remove the airbag but the wheel is held in by a single nut/bolt central

Make sure the wherls are straight when removing and replacing the steering wheel, a haynes manual will help

If you are permanently removing the airbag then you will need to fit a resistor or will get a constant airbag fault warning light on the dash which is an MOT fail.

TBH I'm not sure if removing an airbag is a fail as well

If you are permanently removing the airbag then you will need to fit a resistor or will get a constant airbag fault warning light on the dash which is an MOT fail.

TBH I'm not sure if removing an airbag is a fail as well

Some new MOT rules have just been brought in. It may be if a steering wheel originally had an airbag in, it is a fail to take it out, it certainly is a fail is the warning light comes on. don't know the position on taking the fuse out ?. PS: I think a Mk four facelift is what also is called a Mk 3.5

Hmm strange thing, I swear Mk3.5 would simply be a mk4, or maybe its a mk4 front end without the sexy back end curves of the mk4 & mk5

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club