Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Bad Fuel Consumption

Hutch100uk

I've had my Ford Fiesta 1.25 Edge (5dr) for 6 weeks. Its a 59 plate. I am only getting approximately 30mpg which is awful. I've checked the tire pressure (which was a bit low on one tire) but surely this can't be right.

I am using the car for short distances, mainly to work and back which is why I opted for the petrol model.

Does this sound right or could there be a fault? I'm seriously thinking of changing it as I can't afford to run it.

• Haha 1

Mines the same my 2003 Clio does better miles to the gallon than my 2010 fiesta yet I was told it was better around town I'm not convinced up to now

• Haha 1

Are you using the trip or working it out yourself?

I get about 45 from my diesel on short journeys so would expect about 30 (2/3rds) from a petrol.

It also depends on how you drive, I can do better if I drive like an old person :P

I am using the car for short distances, mainly to work and back which is why I opted for the petrol model.

Does this sound right or could there be a fault? I'm seriously thinking of changing it as I can't afford to run it.

It depends how far you are driving to work. I have the 1.4 auto which can easily do over 40mpg on a run but on my commute to work (2 miles each way) it drops to around 26mpg.

No car will be any different as any engine is fuel inefficient when cold. My last car was a 1.8 Honda Civic i-shift which could be incredibly frugal - averaged 47mpg with 4 up and luggage during a holiday in Scotland last year. On the same 2 mile commute to work - 25-26mpg at best.

The key question is - how far is your commute?

It also depends on how you drive, I can do better if I drive like an old person

Haha very true

I used to get 37.5 out of my 1.4 petrol 09 fiesta

They say the best way to test it is to reset the mpg after you fill up with fuel :)

Hopes this helps

Well I drive like a granny to work in a morning normally in auto pilot mode (me not the car)I've got a 1.6 tdci zs and only manage 52 ish average according to the computer

Well I drive like a granny to work in a morning normally in auto pilot mode (me not the car)I've got a 1.6 tdci zs and only manage 52 ish average according to the computer

How long is your journey though?

Im traveling 3 miles to work and then 3 miles back and im getting 53Mpg constantly thats with a 1.6 tdci.

How long is your journey though?

25 miles each way and almost all at 60mph so it's not like it isn't warm

25 miles each way and almost all at 60mph so it's not like it isn't warm

Id expect more than that on that distance.

When did you last reset the trip?

Thanks for the replies. My commute to work is only about 3.5 miles each way. I reset the trip each time I fill up. I put £30 in and got 150 miles out of it. I think I'm probably a bit heavy footed with the car as its a small engine. I had a 1.6 C4 diesel before this and it was way better on fuel consumption,

There's a lot been said on this topic before and I've said a fair amount of it of it !

I've got a 1.4 petrol auto (like your's Roxy) and could never get more than 37mpg in summer which dropped to almost 30 in winter, all on very short journeys (2/3 miles), driving like myself (a grandad). This summer I couldn't get above 32 so I took it into the dealer and they said that repetive short journeys over a period (two years in my case) can cause the injectors to foul up as the engine never reaches operating temperature. This seemed to make sense. They suggested a two-stage additive treatment, one in the fuel and then one in the oil at £12 each. I had the fuel treatment and I must say the mpg has now just about gone back up to 38. I can't imagine how the oil additive could have any effect but I might take the option up at the next service. I think these mpg figures are reasonable in my case in the circumstances. I was spoilt by my previous 1.6 TDCI manual which did nearly 60mpg even on short journeys.

Your 30mpg from a 1.25, Hutch does seem very poor but engine temperature and ambient temperature are big factors (apart from driving technique).

Knowing the short journeys I would be doing and getting a diesel the dealer I bought it from recommended taking it out on a run every few weeks. To "blast" the engine out so to speak. So I drive it on some 60mph+ roads, let the engine get warm and push the revs a bit. Maybe a 30-40min trip. Does the car the power of good. If I havent done it for a while, you notice how much more the engine "purrs" afterwards.

To give you an idea, when my dad was a driving instructor, he had a 1.5dci Clio that did about 70k of town, learner driver miles. When we came to board a ferry in it, it stalled on the ramp up, just no power and cut out, we had to be towed on and off the other end.

We had a French mechanic (luckily it was a french car), who fixed it by literally ragging the car around the port. What had happened is that the fuel line had become partially blocked simply because the engine had not had to pull that much fuel with all the learner driving.

Could any1 tell me the difference between just a cone filter and an induction kit it's self

Could any1 tell me the difference between just a cone filter and an induction kit it's self

You are probably best off starting a new thread about that. Although as far as I am aware, the fiesta doesn't have a just a cone filter to replace. It has a panel filter.

An induction kit replaces the stock air box, with a cone filter., as far as I know

Well u can buy universal cones so it should go straight on my fez

Id expect more than that on that distance.

When did you last reset the trip?

About a month ago I could reset it again but I should think it will be the same or worse

About a month ago I could reset it again but I should think it will be the same or worse

What fuel do you normally use?

Supermarket, branded, premium, etc?

I have a 1.6tdci 90bhp titanium. My commute is about 80 miles per day with 75-80% of it being motorway. I use cruise control at 65mph and only average about 50mpg and get about 400 miles on a tank. I think this is poor, before I bought it I read most people could average about. 60mpg and get 500+ miles on a tank. My gf's 320d BMW is equally as good on fuel and it's got 177bhp. It's due a service so hopefully they can look at the engine management and hopefully improve it.

My last car was a mini cooper jcw with 200bhp+ driven at 65mph on cruise I could get 35-40mpg

I have a 1.6tdci 90bhp titanium. My commute is about 80 miles per day with 75-80% of it being motorway. I use cruise control at 65mph and only average about 50mpg and get about 400 miles on a tank. I think this is poor, before I bought it I read most people could average about. 60mpg and get 500+ miles on a tank. My gf's 320d BMW is equally as good on fuel and it's got 177bhp. It's due a service so hopefully they can look at the engine management and hopefully improve it.

My last car was a mini cooper jcw with 200bhp+ driven at 65mph on cruise I could get 35-40mpg

I would expect better than 50 with motorway driving.

My dad's 207 gets about 60-65 I think with a 28 mile each way commute, 90% motor way driving and thats with the 1.6 hdi 110. (Same engine as 1.6 ford tdci)

I've got 16 petrol titanium 3 door on an 09 plate just been to Manchester airport ..good journey and half drive average fuel 47 ..Im pleased with that ??!!!

Meant to say hour and half drive..on cruise control 72 mph.

How accurate is the reading on this mpg got 49 driving to Leeds cruise control set at 70 ????!

What fuel do you normally use?

Supermarket, branded, premium, etc?

A mix tesco then pb every 2-3 fill ups

Put 25 squid in today from Shell...only cos it was on way .usually tesco I was happy with my mpg better then astray sport hatch I had last.....re set mpg counter and it still says 46 ..47 mpg starting.g to wonder if its accurate reading rest of views on here ?????