Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Private Reg

Liam Mango Jackson

Hi All,

First Post,

Im just wondering......

Im thinking of buying a private reg, only im in a conundrum.

Im wondering how bad it is with getting pulled on an illegal spacing.......

Basically ive seen a few plates one of them is like this (not the actual plate of course just in case i buy it, but you should get the idea!)

L18 MHU

What the probability be of getting pulled if i had it as L18M HU ?

The other ones i would have legally spaced as its like this :- V888 LJJ, H777 LJJ etc etc

Which do you think 1) Looks better and 2) is a better buy as there both £250.

Thanks in advance,

Liam

Some forces are running operations purely for this...

You take the risk, but as at as I know you get two strikes... Then the reg taken away from you...

The laws on plates are pretty strict, particularly sizing and spacing. Just did a quick Google and found this: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/contents/made may help?

I saw a brilliant plate for me the other day, which was 'JA11 ESG'... if I had a spare £2k, I would have bought it there and then. And yes, I would have run the risk and had it spaced 'JA11ES G' ;)

The laws are there, but I think it depends where you are as to how likely you will be to get pulled. It seems round here they don't bother as I see loads of illegal spacing...

Laws are pretty strict on spacing, and if seen by a traffic who isn't on a shout, you will be pulled.

However, there's some good news - the law has no problem whatsoever with you writing your name, in full, with proper lettering (no substitute numbers necessary!!!), across the back of your vehicle in paint, stickers or some elaborate engraving. Hell, you can even throw in your date of birth and your bank balance! Everybody around you gets to know your name (that's your intention, right?), everybody gets to know how much expendable income you have, it's basically free, and you won't ever get pulled - win-win situation!

Sarcasm intended.

Police units around the country are getting tighter on non conforming plates as they are often seen to cause recognition problems with ANPR cameras.

Usually a plate is scanned by the camera and if not linked to any logs or intelligence reports are disregarded.

If the system flags up a modified plate as unreadable them you will tend to get tugged so as to ascertain the correct plate data.

Why draw unnecessary attention to yourself?

While it is true that certain requirements have been relaxed for plates such as gel lettering and custom side logos instead of the euro symbol, technically they are still illegal but very unlikely to cause a rectification notice.

Plates that have watermark emblems behind the lettering will still be deemed as an attempt to obscure plates from ANPR.

If you live somewhere like my town you will see small tubular cameras on bridges, lamp posts and main entrance routes, there are fixed ANPR and are becoming more commonplace.

Agree entirely, Buy one and make the plate legal - thats perfectly fine. Also feel free to have a "show plate" which you can do whatever you like to (colours, styles backgrounds - anything you fancy!) and stick it on your motor whilst you are OFF the road. as soon as your wheels touch the public highway with the plates you can and probably will be shot :)

The shorter number plates i dont believe are illegal - I had a number plate years ago - N43 UTV - it was the actual registration and was on legal plates, so it was fine, so a shorter than the 1234 123 format isnt necessarily the problem, just as long as its all above board.

L 1 8 M H U as a number plate may cause you no problems at all, but if you start !Removed! with it:

L18 MHU | L 1 8 MHU | L 18M H U | (you get the picture :))

Then you could end up in trouble.

If you are not confident or dont know the legality of it, contact DVLA / VOSA. the number plate content should look as if it was factory made, otherwise, I would treat it only as a show plate.

Seeing as L18M looks nothing like Liam anyway, I wouldn't bother having an illegal spacing for it.

Seeing as L18M looks nothing like Liam anyway, I wouldn't bother having an illegal spacing for it.

To be honest, if you saw L18M like that you would rightly so read it as liam surely mate?

i wouldn't personaly space it, like said above fro those with good experience and knowledge, not worth drawing the attention to yourself. Just get standard one with no requirement of spacing.

Thanks for all your comments, Ive decided against it.

Ive decided to get one that is both personal to me and legal.

Also,

To be honest, if you saw L18M like that you would rightly so read it as liam surely mate?

I agree!!

L18M is obviously LIAM...... Bit strange saying it dont look like it! Maybe your just a personal plate hater.

Anyhow, Thank you again to all the people who actually helped with advice and not just used this topic to vent there personal opinion or sarcasm on something that is non topic related. Now im off to start a topic, "am i a {removed} if i have a private plate"......Where no doubt your comments will be right at home...........

Edited by DanGull
Edited to remove some rather rude comments directed at myself.

Thanks for all your comments, Ive decided against it.

Ive decided to get one that is both personal to me and legal.

Also,

I agree!!

L18M is obviously LIAM...... Bit strange saying it dont look like it!

Anyhow, Thank you again to all the people who actually helped with advice and not just used this topic to vent there personal opinion or sarcasm on something that is non topic related. Now im off to start a topic, "am i a [removed] if i have a private plate"......Where no doubt your comments will be right at home...........

No need to be sarcastic.

Not appreciated here.

Edited by DanGull
Sorry Stoney - just had to tidy your quote a bit.

Yeah, that'll get you a long way on a forum - abusing a mod because they give an opinion you don't agree with.

I have a private plate - and funnily enough, I use the actual letters to represent the letters I want to represent, rather than using numbers to represent letters. If you really must go for a number in place of a letter - then use a 4 to represent A, except, oh yes - hang on, that's what everyone else who wants to make Liam does and the plates are 5 times the price because the DVLA clearly don't think that L18M looks like Liam either.

Glad you thought it through and went for a Legal one.. This is exactly what i have, Personal to me and to my friends who know it, but looks standard to anyone wishing to take vengence on those with Personal Plates...

I bought my girlfriend one, which she decided against my advice to get Illegally spaced... she got pulled and reported, and now runs with the legal one. Yeah ok, it doesn't look as good and i agree, but at least she doesnt run the risk of gettin the reg revoked!

Just out of interest, did u buy direct from DVLA or from one of these trader/dealers??