Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Remove Swirl Marks

scotthunter

Hi there

Got a (nearly) new Fiesta ZS but unfortunately the paintwork is covered in those infamous swirl marks which really show up under sunlight. I guess the previous owner didn't know how to wash a car properly :(

Can anyone recommend any good products designed for white paint that will fill-in swirl marks and protect it for the future? I'm guessing a polish/wax combo?

Thanks

post-35244-0-03602600-1345632201_thumb.j

Meguiars Ultimate compound and Scratch X are great products it's also worth investing in a good quality Dual Action polisher makes life much easier Try and avoid things like T Cut as its very abrasive

It depends how much time/effort/money you wish to throw at the problem.

As above - the best bet is to properly polish them out using a DA (for a first timer) or a rotary (if you've used one before) polisher and the appropriate pads and polishes.

As an alternative you could use a filler polish. Autoglym SRP can work wonders on minor swirling, as can White Diamond from Poorboys (which is a glaze rather than a polish, but filler heavy).

It's practically a new car so I'm a bit wary of abrasive polishers as I won't want to dull the paintwork or remove any shine.

You can only remove swirls with an abrasive polish. You can cover them with a filler but they'll still be there under it.

Oh, and plenty of brand new (and seriously expensive) cars are machined polished by detailers to enhance the finish - you won't dull it.

Super Resin Polish or Poorboys to cover the swirls as said in the above posts, the only way to remove them would be to use a rotary or DA with the relevant polishes

A mobile Valeter I know swears by Brasso.

Far less abrasive than T-Cut apparently.

buffer is propper way, as stated stay away from heavy abrasives, as they do take alot of paint of the car, and if used incorrectly can burn the body work. If you intend to use a buffer i use a rotary (angle grinder type) always start off on low speed setting, then gradually work up throgh the speed, but dont just stop turn speed down again and let if run for a min before turning buffer off.... if you use it correctly a bonet should take a hour plus, remember different abrasives take different pads etc....

• 4 months later...

I would second the ultimate compound from Meguiars and the gold glass over the top and keep on top of it the wont go away but they will appear less obvious.

When i picked up my st170 it was horrid. It had a nasty haze on the corner of the bonnet and rear quater like someone used it as a arm chair and allways when wearing jeans. Its looking near on spotless and no swirl marks......for a 10 year old car.

I did spend 7 hours polishing lol

1. washed with hot soapy water the again in car shampoo not wash and wax.

2. autoglym 1200grit compound on the major hazing and scratches, used it wet not straight out of the bottle

3. then used a clay bar

4. autoglym paint renovator

5. gold glass

Have a good read of this:

http://www.detailing...ead.php?t=63859

I bought this:

http://www.cleanyour...t/prod_721.html

das6-menzerna-intro-new.jpg

And managed a great job on my O/H Fiesta ST

Before:

250320122850.jpg

After:

250320122851.jpg

Take your time and start with the least aggressive combo (as outlined in the guide above) and learn your way.

Yep, don't think you can go far wrong with DoDo Juice Lime Prime and a Buff Daddy with a selection of pads. Just make sure the surface has been thoroughly washed, clayed, and then rinsed and dried before polishing. Dedicate some time over a weekend at it and the results are well worth the time spent.

Don't forget a quality wax over the top.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey lads,

-The best way may be to use the two bucket method as attached.

-Then what I use as said previously is AutoGlym Super resin polish and microfibre towel.

I'd suggets not using a buffer unless you are confident in using one as I have seen serious mshaps using them.

Hope this helps

Two Bucket Method.doc

A DA (or Dual Action) polisher is absolutely fine for novices. Just use light polishing or finishing pads to begin with and something like the Dodo polish I mentioned, watch plenty of YouTube videos to get the idea, and then start slowly after all of the mentioned prep work (which is essential to a good finish, especially claying).

Super Resin Polish is also a great polish to get you started. Works very well with a DA, but don't expect fantastic long term results as it has a lot of fillers in it. But good choice for beginners.

Also, don't forget to wax or seal afterwards and protect your hard work.

Agree Chester, but makes it easy if you can nip swirl marks on the bud from washing which will stop having to use buffers, where a simple quick rub of a microfibre cloth or real leather chamois would do well

Dal, a very good job on your polishing effort! well done!

what about a detox. strip all wax/polish off... then clay bar, paint work detox, i like to use the 3 step megs, but as a polish i prefer auto glym deep shine. then auto glym paint sealant....

That'd be a great combination to condition and protect your paint, but it won't get any swirl marks out.

Dal, a very good job on your polishing effort! well done!

Thank you! I did her car as it's blue and the swirls show up terribly. My Electric Orange doesn't really show them thankfully (unless you look properly), but I will be doing it when the weather warms up to let the polishes work properly. (16+ degrees)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club