Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Misfire

Fordtastic

Hi everyone.I posted a topic earlier in the month reguarding a loss of compression on my 1.8LX 51 plate Mondeo.The fault was indeed a burnt out valve.Had it replaced at a garage for considerably less than I was quoted from someone else,however,after picking car up,the eng man light was still on and the tickover was very lumpy.The car just didn't feel right.Took it back to garage where a fault reader pinpointed a misfire on number 4 cylinder,the same one as the burnt valve.A new set of leads & a new coil pack were put on but made no difference.Compression test was ok but the spark plug from number 4 was caked in oil (again).They now have the car back & are replacing the injector o rings.Does anybody think this will help or is another strip down required?They ruled out inlet manifold.Think this saga is going to drag on :angry:

oil leaks onto spark plugs are usually down to an ill fitting rocker cover gasket.

Er, was it the part of the spark plug inside the engine or outside?

if it was covered on the inside do you know if the valve stem oil seal was replaced when the valve work was done as a damaged seal will allow oil into the clynder.

I would like to think they replaced the seal.They still have the car because they've sent the ecu away to be re-mapped as they now think this is the cause of the misfire.When the car was started and reved prior to the removal of the ecu,there was clouds of white smoke billowing from the exhaust.They said it clears when you start driving.Never smoked before,at all.

I would like to think they replaced the seal.They still have the car because they've sent the ecu away to be re-mapped as they now think this is the cause of the misfire.When the car was started and reved prior to the removal of the ecu,there was clouds of white smoke billowing from the exhaust.They said it clears when you start driving.Never smoked before,at all.

mmm this subject would be interesting for a follow up my 1.8 mondeo has valve stem seal gone not loss of compression though dose use oil more noticable when running on engine like dwn hill thenthrottle dwn it puffs smoke..chatted to my dad he said they norm smoke more afterwards but please keep us informed

Hi Peter.Just phoned the garage where my car has been for what feels like months.They should be putting the ECU back in today so hopefully I'll get it back later.Will let you know how it goes,if it goes

Think it's gonna take more than fingers crossed Peter.Went to the garage where my Mondeo is in danger of taking root.Was told that the new,not repaired,therefore more expensive ecu,had been fitted but on starting the car there is now a misfire on number 1 cylinder.This saga is seriously testing my patience.The mechanic is now on holiday for the week,so wont be any progress for a while,not that there's been much so far anyway.Live and learn.

if the new ecu did not cure the fault do not pay for it,it sounds like the garage havent a clue with their lets try this next attitude,i would get to a different garage.

That'll be easier said than done mate.They're not the sort of people you want to argue with.I knew the bloke years ago and certainly wont be using him again.Might have to buy an old banger for a couple of hundred quid just to get me to and fro from work til it's sorted.Can't keep ponsing lifts and walking everywhere.

That'll be easier said than done mate.They're not the sort of people you want to argue with.I knew the bloke years ago and certainly wont be using him again.Might have to buy an old banger for a couple of hundred quid just to get me to and fro from work til it's sorted.Can't keep ponsing lifts and walking everywhere.

mmm i would just say look i want my money bk keep the car n go buy another i asume u have a warranty on it i mean if oil had got into plugs there still a issue cant see doing ecu would have anythink todo with oil on plugs.either that or they put oiley plug on no1.is it a 1 man band i expect mechanic gone ask sum1 else fix it 4 me

how ever if it was a bent valve i would ask them to change the valve guide that sits in the head chances are thats bent letting in the oil in 1st place i would have done mate

Yes mate,bloke on his own.No warranty,bought the car somewhere else as a part ex.Don't want to spend a fortune on it coz it aint worth it but I do expect it to be fixed so I can at least use it.The time before when I paid him a visit,when he made enquiries reguarding the ecu,he did say that he'd put the oiled up plug in no 1 and it was still misfiring on number 4 and that he'd put an old coil pack on in replacement of the new one he'd fitted to see if that made a difference.I'm thinking maybe that has knackered the replacement ecu.He says he put the new coil pack back on pryor to starting the car.See what I'm up against.

yea he dont know what he doing by sounds of it mate. i cant seem to see why a oiled up plug would have anythink to do with ecu though,has he checked the HT Lead i know ur frustration mate sum places just like to spend other peoples money dont they,keep us informed mate

He replaced the ht leads before he was advised that the ecu could be the problem.I think the misfire is a seperate issue to the burnt valve,just unlucky I guess.

yea seems like it.or valve clearance wrong .shame they havent got a spare coil or plugs that work to help eliminate even new can be faulty

Hi mate.They sent the ecu back to where it was repaired to get it re-done.They tested it and said there's nothing wrong with it.He said he's going to get an independant technician to test it.I think I'll get him to put the ecu back in the car,I'll pay for that and take my car back.At least I can use it with a misfire.

Hi mate.Took the plunge and brought another mondeo today.Another 1.8 but it was very local and a reasonable price.Lets hope I have more luck with this one.No news on the old one yet.!Removed! things sitting there with a full tank of petrol.Bummer.

yea shame u cant drain it out buddy.suppose thats the trouble buying old motores aint it.gd luck with new 1 keep us posted on other 1 buddy

Hi mate.New mondeo is going back this week.Knocking,clunking noise from back end.The anti roll bar bushes were replaced for the MOT but that obviously wasn't the cause.Could be loose exhaust,loose strut tops or the dreaded sub frame :( No news on the other one so I'm going down there today to find out whats going on with it.Hope yours is going better than mine.Will let you know what he says.