Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk1 2000 1.8L Petrol Pinking Problems

Jason40

Hi guys/girls

I was wondering is anyone could help with a bit of advice or guidance. I have a mk1 focus 1.8 petrol and lately randomly while driving I've been experiencing a sudden loss of power then the speedo drops to zero, yet the rev counter, oil, fuel gauge still work then suddenly I get a pinking the power comes back and the speedo starts working again, starting to drive me nuts now, any ideas? ignition coil? crank sensor maybe?

Best thing to do is get it on a diagnostic machine rather than replacing random parts that may or may not be faulty

It's your speed sensor, a very common problem in mk1's.

The part is cheap but a pig to get out.

If you're not fond of laying under the car for an hour or hanging into the engine bay wrestling with a small metal pin then you're best off seeing a garage.

At least of they snap something they pay not you.

Best thing to do is get it on a diagnostic machine rather than replacing random parts that may or may not be faulty

Yeah you are right, best advice really, thank you

I still insist it's the speed sensor.

It's such a common fault, why pay Ford £80+ to confirm what i know it to be?

I still insist it's the speed sensor.

It's such a common fault, why pay Ford £80+ to confirm what i know it to be?

sorry stoney it didnt show me these messages until today, got a mobile mechanic coming round at £45 so will find out, dont have the time right now as the time I get home from work Im shattered

No problems mate, if it's anything other than the speed sensor I'll be very surprised indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

hi stoney, a quick update, mobile mechanic came out, only fault showing was throttle position sensor, so changed that and guess what? still got the problem, I pick up the speed sensor tomorrow and will fit it tomorrow and I'm sure you are right about whats wrong, will let you know the outcome and thanks for the advice mate

Ok mate.

Thanks for the update.

Are you doing the sensor yourself?

Take care and don't rush it.

The pin can be a sod and the sensor can be very tight.

ill lay bets its the speed sensor to the gearbox always is when the speedo drops out the throttle sensor was fine the fault relates to the fact the speed sensor stopped causing the throttle sensor not to respond i wouldnt do it yourself either they always break in the gearbox only other thing is the dash cluster at fault very common not diagnosed by mobile mechanics ford diagnose it you can try the wd40 trick but it doesnt work a new dash cluster is required ford have to replace them for 99quid after it was hilighted on watchdog

thanks for the advice guys, did it myself, (peace of P) lol pin came out in 10 minutes, sensor however liked it homes lol I found some good eviction tools and won :) new sensor in and working lovely, again thanks Stoney, spot on diagnosis

I would have been sorely surprised if it was anything else.

Thanks for the feedback mate. :)

They can be a right pain it the rump to do but it's so satisfying when the car runs properly again.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club