Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk7 Zetec-S 1.6 Diesel 12 Plate

gsmith

I have just bought a 12 plate zetec-s 1.6 diesel (95) Fiesta mk7. The car is lovely and very quick. However when I pull away i feel a 'lull' in the throttle response, thought not actually a flat spot, it seems tho the revs peak out at about 10 mph and the car is slow. It will pickup if you press the gas but it has a strange levelling of the revs quite soon after moving off.

I'm not sure if I've explained this very well... I asked a Ford dealer mechanic and he says that all the 'new' diesel models are doing this. and there is no upgrade available and Ford haven't recognised it as a fault.

Does anyone know what I am talking about??

your responses to this is appreciated.

cheers Graham.

The 95DPF engine suffers majorly with turbo lag (or something like that) when pulling away. Quite often I'll pull out at a roundabout, after it jumps in to oncoming traffic there's a delay (whilst I'm sitting there with cars coming at me!) before it picks up and shoots off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no boy racer (and can get 65mpg to prove it!) but there is an issue which Ford need to address. Or Mountune release their remap...

EDIT: Oh and mine's a 10plate btw, had it from new and now has 46k on the clock so it doesn't fix itself over time.

Ah! thanks iNath for that, I'm not imagining this then. It'll be interesting to see if others contribute to this post. Interesting to hear that you are getting 65mpg. I'm struggling with 49mpg at the moment and I'm driving it very carefully.

New engines need to be run in for a few thousand miles before you start to get higher mpg

New engines need to be run in for a few thousand miles before you start to get higher mpg

thanks Marc.. I've done only 2,200

Correct - I got 48 when I very first had mine and didn't see 60+ until after 15k.

wow! I didn't realise that.

Mine, a 1.4 68Hp (RM to 80) also has some turbo lag even though it was mapped to spool quicker and at lower revs. I also have the "oh no" scenarios at roundabouts....

Interesting! I do hope for a solution to this. My son hired a car just like mine in Jersey last month and that one didn't do it.

I just tend to put revs in to about 3k in a quick-ish need to run, it's a pain to have so much lag in power.

Mine also bogs down a bit and you get a bit of lag when trying to do a quick pull-out. I have had those "come on move, NOW!" moments a few times.

That is on the 90PS non-DPF version too. Diesel's have smaller power bands than petrol anyway, I tend to find the best way of pulling away quick in the 1.6D fiesta is to give it plenty of power before lifting the clutch or it just dies on you. (Not stall, just massive delay in power)

I use mine for driving instruction so it's quite a problem for new drivers.

All I can say is that my 09 (March) plate 1.6 TDCI 95ps didn't do that. The response from rest was smooth and progressive from rest throughout the rev range even when the car was brand new. Ford must have changed something or you have a fault.

I thought all diesels now had a dpf to comply with the emissions regs ? I'm sure mine did.

Mine also bogs down a bit and you get a bit of lag when trying to do a quick pull-out. I have had those "come on move, NOW!" moments a few times.

Don't buy a Vauxhall 'Easytronic' automatic if you don't want any of those moments - I know them well !! :o

I was tempted to keep looking at my watch !

All I can say is that my 09 (March) plate 1.6 TDCI didn't do that. The response from rest was smooth and progressive from rest throughout the rev range even when the car was brand new. Ford must have changed something or you have a fault.

I thought all diesels now had a dpf to comply with the emissions regs ? I'm sure mine did.

I wouldn't call it a fault, more a querk of the engine that even any diesel has to some extent. I still find it very forgiving it just bogs down and lags a bit if you haven't got the revs up enough.

DPF were only fittes to the 95PS engines and the 90PS econetic. One of the reasons they had to up the power was to compensate for the loss of power when you add a DPF.

Yours wouldn't have had one as it was introduced in March 2010 on the 1.6TDCi Fiesta.

I wouldn't call it a fault, more a querk of the engine that even any diesel has to some extent. I still find it very forgiving it just bogs down and lags a bit if you haven't got the revs up enough.

DPF were only fittes to the 95PS engines and the 90PS econetic. One of the reasons they had to up the power was to compensate for the loss of power when you add a DPF.

I must have been lucky, either that or, as I say, Ford must have changed something since 09. That car was my first (and only so far) ownership of a diesel (although I had driven many) and I did find it a bit strange at first but the torque from that engine in such a light car was impressive and much quieter than I expected. Vibration on tick over was obviously noticable but otherwise very good - easily got 60mpg too. Only the desire for an auto made me go back to petrol. Pity they don't do diesel autos, that would have been my first choice. Surely the software of an auto can be adapted to suit the different characteristics of a diesel ? Something I have never understood.

Yours wouldn't have had one as it was introduced in March 2010 on the 1.6TDCi Fiesta.

Sounds like another case of being given duff info from the dealer then as they said it did have one (maybe to get me to have it "serviced" !).

Mine does this too, I also find myself shouting out loud "Come on baby, move!!" Maybe I should be more patient at junctions lol?

Or get a proper engine - a petrol ;)

*waits for grief*

Is there an official Ford help centre to call?

So I can ask if they will ever solve this problem

I think a moderator should look into that comment. :D :D

Hi Gsmith, I have had issues with my Fiesta, several posts on the subject of poor running, very poor indifferent attitude from the supplying Ford dealer.

Only being resolved because of threat of legal action and full refund.

Now runs lots better-had faulty camshaft timing sensor at only 8,500 mls, but after another 4,500 mls has started to hesitate and lag when off boost, similar to your description.

I too have had lots of diesel cars, some good some poor, but none as -how can I say reluctant to shift at low revs, it needs a variable vane turbo to improve things , but you do get used to how it drives but thats not the point.

Great car otherwise and a blast on back roads (when wife not with me).

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I'm just in the process of getting a Fiesta zetec s. Dad works for ford so gets a huge discount on new reg orders. Can't decide which is best to get. Petrol or diesel. Only £3 difference in the monthly price of the two. I've got an 11 plate focus 1.6 115 tdci at the moment and I also have the problems discussed above. Previous Diesel engines I've had were perfect but I've noticed numerous occasions where I've set off and had the 'lurch' and then the lull! As a few people have said a slightly heavier right foot and its ok but it's the first diesel I've had where I've had to do it.

I'd love the diesel in the zetec s too but the fact you can't get the street pack is a huge down side for me. Think it will end up being the petrol for now. Looking forward to test driving the ecoboost in the facelift. Test drove the ecoboost in the focus and its surprisingly quick. Or maybe I'll just hang on for the Fiesta ST........

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club