Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Pressure Light...

thenthornthing

I've got a Ford Focus 1.6 LX TDCI. 55 plate.

Brought earlier this year, two weeks after purchase, turbo blew. Was under warranty so managed to get them to change it.

A month after this (past warranty) turbo blew again.

Anyway, had it replaced at my expense, and all relevant pipes and things were replaced.

Not sure if this is at all related, but I suspect so.

Last Friday, I was driving home from work (40 miles) and the oil light came on 10 minutes into the journey. It started by flickering a few times before staying on.

It then started making a strange noise, not a knocking noise, but like somethings deprived of oil.

Made it the rest of the way home (about 25 miles from where light came on). Dipped oil, full (changed oil a few weeks ago, 200 miles after second turbo replaced).

Parked home, haven't touched since. My mechanic was on holiday, but he looked at it Tuesday for me, and without driving it, we couldn't get the light to come on, even though we had it warm up for a good 30 minutes. It's baffling. I'm attempting to drive it to his workshop tomorrow (under strict instruction to phone AA should the light come on) but am unsure what to think?

Any help appreciated!

sounds like you have an oil pressure problem which is in turn killing the turbos..

there is always a reason for a turbo failing, worn seals, lack of oil etc..the mechanic who changed it should have investigated this

When our mechanic changed the second turbo, we were all drawn to the conclusion that it was the !Removed! in the pipes (one of the pipes was jammed solid of gunk) which was depriving the turbo of oil in the first place, so I assumed that it was the issue.

Dropping it out to the mechanic today, so hopefully when he's taken the sump off and can have a look, we may get somewhere!

im surprised you had to pay for the turbo, surely it should have had a guarantee? so soon after replacement, you could contest that it was a faulty part and get a refund?

im surprised you had to pay for the turbo, surely it should have had a guarantee? so soon after replacement, you could contest that it was a faulty part and get a refund?

+1. We shouldn't let garages get away with shoddy repairs or selling cars with faults on.

First time was under warranty. The second time was out of it. They were prepared to change the turbo to another second hand one (not a recon), but because they took so long last time (nearly 2 months) and the fact that knowing the turbo wasn't the problem, but the crap in the pipes depriving the turbo of oil, I preferred to get our mechanic to do it.

OK so I can understand that then, I sympathise with the pain you have!

• 2 months later...

I just thought I'd update this.

The pipes were indeed full of crap and a new pickup pipe was required. It seems, even to the untrained eye, that the damage is in the engine and causing the repetitive problem and chances are the pipes will jam again.

Anyway, I've got rid of this car as a part ex, I believe the garage I part ex-ed with are auctioning due to the nature of the problem.

Shame, it was a nice car, just wish I'd researched that model before getting!