Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where Should Temparture Gauge Of Ford Focus Be On Startup?

adam7862

Hi ive got an 2003 Ford Foucs Zetec 1.6. As soon as i start the car the temp gauge is in the middle. It stays in the middle throughout the journey. Is this normal?

When the car is off the gauge goes down like normal.

Thanks

Perfectly normal.

Mine never goes above half way.

Cheers for that mate, its put my mind at ease

the temp gauge should not be in the middle as soon as the car is started when the engine warms up yes but not straight away faulty temp sensor

the temp gauge should not be in the middle as soon as the car is started when the engine warms up yes but not straight away faulty temp sensor

lol thats bought my worries back now. Could the warm weather be making the temp gauge to go to the middle on startup? I notice your in Scotland but here in birmingham the weathers been quite hot in the last few days so maybe the engine is quite warm already before driving?

It wont be 80+ Deg C warm! As artscot says, should gradually rise to middle (assuming engine started from cold, i.e left overnight without running)

Usually takes my car 2/3 miles at about 40mph to get to around the centre of the temp. gauge then it stays there. Most definitely should NOT be going there straight away.

On start up it shouldn't move from zero.

I agree, mine does the same. I would get the coolant temp sensor checked out, dont think it would be anything too serious. Your coolant level is still ok isnt it?

sounds like a sensor fault regardless of the outside temp the engine will be cold on the first start up

Thanks for the replies guys, i think ill leave it as it is for now. Anyone know how much the sensor could cost to repair?

id have it checked out if the sensor is broken you wont know if the car over heats add to that the temp sensor sends info to the pcm so the car can run lean or use to much fuel it effects so many things that if you leave it long enough you may end up needing more than a sensor