Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lpg Conversion

Tonis_T

Hello,

Since gasoline is getting more and more expensive I'm thinking of LPG conversion. However I have heard that there might be some problems with valve seats after some time of use. I have also heard that this problem is non existant if you will install some kind of flashlube and use it rght from the beginning. I'm talking about IV generation device.

Car I'm thinkig of converting is mk2 Ford Focus 1.6L Duratec-16V Ti-VCT (115/120PS) estate.

Do any of you guys have any experience about this?

If you go to a reputable LPG fitter they will tell you weather or not your car will need the flashlube part of the system fitting. It's kind of dependant on how many miles you'll be doing, but off the top of my head the main vehicles that need it are the likes of Toyota or Lexus... I've had 2 cars converted in the past, and it does indeed cut the running costs by almost half. The main thing you need to consider is,,, will you keep the car long enough to recoupe the cost of the system and fitting ? If so, go for the best kit you can afford, you get what you pay for, and make sure the fitter has a good reputation.

One of my mates only drives cars with LPG conversions and he swears by them.

If you fit a kit you will need to run it for about two to three years to see savings.

Also you tend to lose the spare tyre as that's where they fit the LPG tank.

One of my mates only drives cars with LPG conversions and he swears by them.

If you fit a kit you will need to run it for about two to three years to see savings.

I was considering getting a LPG conversion myself.

Calculated that I'd need to wait 3 years with my current driving regime to see the benefits (LPG fuel is around 50% less expensive than petrol, but is around 33% less efficient than petrol, and I only fill up about twice a month at the moment!).

Being a postgrad student expecting to graduate with a PhD in about 2 years time, I expect my earnings to rise considerably in around 3 years time, so I'll probably want to upgrade the far (new Focus, mmmmmmmmmmmmm), so probably not worth it for me.

But once I have my new car in 3 years time and plan to own it for longer than 3 years (or less, since conversion prices might drop, fuel price difference may rise and driving regime may require more miles per annum) I will definitely consider the conversion.

the last foci on here that i remember had an lpg conversion was a mk1 or 1.5 and that guy had nothing but problems at the time of trying to help the guy out i found out from another forum the focus zetec engine didnt respond well to the conversion and knowing how complicated the tivct set up is im not so sure i would do it as if theres issues ford wont deal with it and the lpg guys will say its not there conversion causing it im not really up on lpg mate but the ti isnt a simple engine with the variable valve timing on that engine i would get all the info you can on wether the company can do it and gaurantees the car wont give you issues

the last foci on here that i remember had an lpg conversion was a mk1 or 1.5 and that guy had nothing but problems at the time of trying to help the guy out i found out from another forum the focus zetec engine didnt respond well to the conversion and knowing how complicated the tivct set up is im not so sure i would do it as if theres issues ford wont deal with it and the lpg guys will say its not there conversion causing it im not really up on lpg mate but the ti isnt a simple engine with the variable valve timing on that engine i would get all the info you can on wether the company can do it and gaurantees the car wont give you issues

Both my kits came with a 24 month warrenty, and any niggles I had with mine were sorted pronto, no messing around. As I stated, go with a reputable fitter, and they will know their stuff.

As for the comment by GSM about LPG being 33% less efficient than petrol,,,,,,,, That may have been the case when LPG was first introduced into the mainstream, but not today, the systems are far more advanced and the gap in fuel efficiency has shrunk drastically, in some cases you'd be hard pushed to spot any difference at all.

In either case, the main question still remains,,,,,, Will you keep the car long enough to make it a cost effective investment !

one of the biggest questions are there plenty of garages that do lpg where you live up my way theres 1 and its always empty i agree with the above i doubt you will recoupe the money

one of the biggest questions are there plenty of garages that do lpg where you live up my way theres 1 and its always empty i agree with the above i doubt you will recoupe the money

Varies by area I think. Quick check online tells me there's a good few stations in my area that sell LPG, and the price appears to be about 67p/L average around here. That's less than 50% of the petrol price which is encroaching 1.40p/L (again!).

If LPG fuel economy is gaining on petrol fuel economy, and if conversion prices continue to fall, then in a few years time LPG will be extremely popular.

Of course, as soon as it becomes popular, the government will tax it. After all, we've already discovered that they're not interested in keeping emissions down or keeping fossil fuel usage/dependency low, they're only really interested in filling their pockets. Which is why they're talking about switching the VED rules - because since we've all gone out and purchased more fuel efficient vehicles to keep costs down on the CO2-emissions related tax scale, the coffers are taking a hit, and the coffers are all that matters.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club