Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Gauge Shows Empty While Driving!

ManxKat

Apologies in advance for another help thread!!

Left the house this morning, had 77 miles of diesel left in the car. Stopped at the school (5 mins away), dropped my son off and then drove off again. As I was running late for work, I was trying to drive off fast and somehow managed to stall the car (yes!!! I know!!). So I started her up again and drove off.

As I drove off I got the warning beep - and looked at my dash. 0 miles fuel!!!!

So I stopped. Turned her off completely. Then restarted. Still 0 miles. I knew I had the 70+ miles and being late for work carried on driving (another 5 mins). Got to work no problem. Parked up and tried turning it off and taking key out and then restarting, but nope it still says I have no fuel!!

Has anyone else experienced this that can give me some advice?

My car is a 2008 Fiesta ZS TDCI and we are no longer friends :angry:

Are you going off the range display on the dash? I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it! Try filling the tank and see what happens if it still says no fuel theres a problem with the sensor inside the tank

I know that I have a fair bit of fuel in there - not to mention I am driving! Red light stays on though and computer and gauge show empty!

When I finish work today I will fill her up and see if that does anything.

Panic over, the car seems to have sorted itself out and is now back to normal! :)

Still might be worth having it looked at just in case it's now reading incorrectly! don't want to be running out of fuel without realising

My mum had this before on her 206 HDI.

The sensor can get stuck according to the mechanic she spoke to, only way to fix it, is to completely fill the tank up, it seems to reset the sensor.

Apparently, its more common to get stuck if you frequently top up the car, say only ever letting the needle go between 1/4 and a 1/2. My mum used to just top up £10, spreading out the cost but it seems the car needs to be filled up every now and then.

I personally just fill the car every time, less trips to the fuel station then :D

Still might be worth having it looked at just in case it's now reading incorrectly! don't want to be running out of fuel without realising

I put £20 in and it went up to the usual 220ish miles so looks good so far, I will just keep an eye on it.

My mum had this before on her 206 HDI.

The sensor can get stuck according to the mechanic she spoke to, only way to fix it, is to completely fill the tank up, it seems to reset the sensor.

Apparently, its more common to get stuck if you frequently top up the car, say only ever letting the needle go between 1/4 and a 1/2. My mum used to just top up £10, spreading out the cost but it seems the car needs to be filled up every now and then.

I personally just fill the car every time, less trips to the fuel station then :D

Yer I am the same only ever put £20 in, and it never goes above half. Maybe I might try filling her up every payday from now on, sounds like a plan!

Thanks everyone.

My guess is it was just too near to empty for the 'rough and ready' sensor to deal with. I wouldn't trust it right down that low.

• 7 years later...

Faced the same problem with my car today. Thanks for this forum, it got me a relief, as i just spent a heck. seems like a troublesome car.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club