Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Antifreeze - Does This Sound Right?

English Electric

I bought 5 litres of Ford Super Plus Premium from a reputable company online. Once mixed 50 50 with water, I tested it with one of those "turkey baster" style testers, with the 6 different coloured discs. Only the first 2 discs float, giving a protection around the late teens.

To get anything near -37 (as stated on the container) I needed to up the concentration to around 2/3 - 3/4 antifreeze.

I tested the antifreeze neat and the 6 discs floated correctly meaning not safe. Also normal water makes no discs float which is correct.

I went out and purchased a 1.99 tester from Halfords (3 floating balls) just to get another perspective. A 50 50 mix makes 2 balls float meaning -17'C which sort backs up the the other tester.

It is possible that the Ford antifreeze I have got is a dodgy batch? Or it is likely both testers are way off the mark?

I have a mix of around 60% antifreeze, 40% water and it gives 3 floating discs and -23' protection which I am happy with. What I am bothered about is whether the higher concentration of antfreeze will have any long term affect on the cooling system?

Note - also the mix is orange like the older stuff, and not the newer pink/purple (which I thought was strange)

Regards Paul

Only really accurate way of telling is with a proper a.f tester, should be tested on all services, or just nip in to a garage on a saturday and bung someone a few quid to check it for ya

When tested neat it says says NOT SAFE so it's not pre-mixed.

I'm wondering if it's old stock. I wonder if it's been sitting in a warehouse for the last 7 years or something. It would explain why it's orange (instead of pink/purple) and was £14.99

When tested neat it says says NOT SAFE so it's not pre-mixed.

I'm wondering if it's old stock. I wonder if it's been sitting in a warehouse for the last 7 years or something. It would explain why it's orange (instead of pink/purple) and was £14.99

if you read the bottle it may have a CFA code or cert of analises code.

you can then go online with the code and print out a COA for that specific batch detailing its percentage content down to .001 aswell as its manufacture date etc.

OK Lenny, on the back of bottle lower left corner it says

5L e

1 336 808

4U7J 195544 EB2A

on the lower right corner it says

i Fir No. 151427

04/04 PMS.NO VFL 18 13 A4

I really hope the 04/04 bit isn't the date of manufacture! What do you think would be the COA code Lenny?

Cheers Paul

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club