Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 Mod Ideas

Rossostopher

I have a standard Focus Mk2 1.6 Zetec (Climate Pack). Nothing has ever been done to it, I have owned it for a year and am looking to start modifying it.

I am only looking for inexpensive ideas, nothing drastic, just things like induction kits and window tints. I have considered a remap but will install other parts first (i.e. induction kit.). On the outside I am considering getting the whole car color coded with window tints and some alloys.

Any ideas on performance mods or any other visual mods would be appreciated. I will post pictures of my car now and then progress as I do it.

Welcome to the forums mate.

For some cheap but effective mods like a second reverse light or LED interior have a look at what I've listed so far in my signature.

If any of it is of some inspiration, have a mooch through my thread at the progress of my mods so far:

As for the remap, is your motor a diesel or a petrol? If it's a diesel, the remap will be well worth it, if its a petrol the remap will be very expensive for a very little gain in power. Like you said, you would need to get all performance mods like induction kit etc done before the remap or you'd just have to remap it again after.

As for tints, check with your insurance company first as some will see you have a massive rise in your premium, and some fellow members of the forum have even had their policy canceled by their insurer as they don't allow tints at all.

Thanks guys, I have had a look through most of your thread, your car is looking nice! I especially like the new spoiler, that's something I was looking at but wasn't 100% on.

I do sadly have the petrol 1.6, which in hindsight was a bad mistake because I feel like it doesn't really have any power what so ever. I was looking at replacing the spark plugs and leads, and haven't decided on whether to get a decent panel filter or go for a full induction kit, any ideas?

I have already debadged the rear and was also looking at rear Lexus style lights just now, maybe put some brows on the front ones too after I have changed the bulbs out.

Have you got any how to guides on the interior lighting? I am not great with electronics but your car looks good with them!

I am definitely ordering the mist screen washer jets as they are 100% better than the standard crap.

the st spoiler is a great mod mate, took me literally minutes and it's extremely simple to do, Clive has already written up a guide on fitting a mk2.5 spoiler to a mk2 and it can be found here:

fitting an st spoiler is exactly the same procedure but requires sight rewiring, basically the plug is different on the st spoiler brake light, you simply cut this off, cut the plug off the mk2 brake light, then splice the 2 earth wires together, tape it up tight with insulation tape, then do the same with the live wires then put it all back together as showed in the guide then admire your work. With the mk2 brake light, both wires are black but the thicker wire is the live wire.

As for the LED interior, do you have front footwell lighting? Stick your head under the footwell n see if you have a bulb holder, if you do, you may already have power to it in which case just pop a w5w wedge bulb in and your good to go. You may find you have the wires but no bulb holder, or nothing at all. in which case, Lenny has written a guide on installing footwell lighting here:

if you do have front footwell lighting already in place, it will be very easy to install rear footwell lighting, this is also covered in the guide.

if you've seen the photo's of mine in my thread, you will know they speak for themselves.

as for the remap, seeing as you have the 1.6 petrol same as me, you will just be throwing money away cause it'll be several hundred quid for like a 4bhp gain.

i'm sure fellow members will be able to advise on the induction kit n filters, you may be interested in a k&n or green cotton filter

as for the mist washer jets, this is also a very worth while mod a lot of us have already done, however, the price has recently gone up something silly from like 6quid to 30quid. fords fault for thinking they was selling em too cheap in the first place and whacked the price up by like 4times

as for the head light bulbs, a lot of members have recently been having a discussion on they're own personal bulb preferences here:

i currently have the osram cool blue intense h1 and h7s, if you look on my thread there should be photos of them as well as in this thread i just linked.

if i can be of any help concerning mods i may have already done, feel free to drop me a pm sometime.

also, look at the mods in fellow members signatures, Lenny and Stoney's signatures for instance can be very inspiring and was a lot of help to me personally when I first bought my car completely stock, now look at it.

Any questions or problems, don't be afraid to ask.

We're all pretty much house trained on here :D

Charlie, thanks for the props mate, really nice to see you're paying it forward. :)

Lol a lot of my mod ideas came from you and Lenny mate and your both very helpful and full of wisdom when it comes to mods.

If I was to say all my mod ideas was my own I'd be lying :P

You both wrote some very helpful guides so only right to give you the mention lol ;)

I have loads of dumb luck and big knackers. :D

I am generally an inventive and practical person, if I need something I just tend to figure out a solution.

It may not always be pretty but by god it will work.

Lol know what you mean mate I'm exactly the same. If I wanna do summin I'll find a solution n do it. But it just happens I come here n everything been done already lol n theres a load of helpful chaps like yourself about so my poor insomniac brian doesn't have to work as hard figuring it out ;)

when you reckon your leds will turn up uncle?

:S really?? Mine seem to do the job great n you can see that from me photos. Confused now

i have purchased a Green Performance induction filter from www.priracing.com and im due to recieve it today aswell as create a fitting guide with a review on the performance from them.

the seller has been so kind to offer all forum members 10% discount on his site when purchasing a green performance filter.

the 10% Discount Code is: FORDOWNERSCLUB10

and for purchasing any items by ritchbrook from the site get 20% discount using code: RICHBROOK20 s

pecial thanks to Ross at Priracing for being so kind to offer us 10% off green performance filters. i will create the fitting guide tomorrow aswell as quoting the discount codes again

The Discount codes work for any ford model not just the focus.

busy today fitting piper oval duplex DPF back stainless system aswell as Green Performanc Filter and a remap to bring the bhp up around 135 and torque to 290 as soon as the delivery guy gets here with the kit.

1.6 climate so its likely a ti vct in which case its already fitted with a cold air intake induction kits rob power on these cars so a panel filter is about it remaps not worth it though if theres no power you may have an issue if its a ti vct as trust me theres plenty of power in there

I am not totally sure whether it is a Ti or not. From my understanding there is the 100bhp 1.6 and the 115bhp 1.6. I am assuming the Ti is the 115bhp, I know mine has been stated as 115bhp on the registration form but not mention of Ti anywhere.

I think I will need to sort out it's own power first before adding things to get the full benefit.

I know I have a dodgy Lambda sensor but surely that can't rob the engine of that much power? I have been reluctant to change it since a new one from Ford is £120 (approx) and Ive heard third party ones don't fit particularly well.

if its 115bhp then its the ti vct in which case its a complicated engine and theres many things that can cause the loss so ford it is you have the o2 sensors the cam solenoids the cam adjusters when mine did it it was the timing cam that was faulty

as for more power forget it no one does anything for these engines too complicated so other than a remap and panel filter thats about it anything else they get very unreliable and expensive to fix .

the ti vct has 2 cams one for air in 1for gas out they work independantly and has cam sprockets that advance or !Removed! the ignition via an adjuster within the sprockets fed via a high pressure oil line all this is done based on fuel flow air intake volumes engine temp coolant temp etc etc trust me dont muck around with it stick to filter exhaust and remap

Thanks for the info! I will have to look at the aftermarket ones more closely to see what kind of fit they have. I really and going to begrudge spending £120 on one sensor!

I have a lot of questions in a short space of time before I even start anything! I am also looking at changing the spark plugs and wires for better quality parts ( I heard this can give better performance even if it is only little), any ideas of which ones to pick? Whilst under the bonnet, does anyone have any pics or ideas of simple things that improve the look of the engine i.e. hoses etc.

I would also like to change my head unit (6000) for one that is compatible with an iPhone (as I just got my new iPhone 5 through :D) so I would like to be able to plug it in and use the cars controls to control the music and maybe answer the phone etc. I would preferably like a Ford stereo and not a single din head unit. Any ideas on what Ford Stereos there are, or any ideas on decent double din head units which will fit without too many extra surrounds.

changing the plugs and leads wont gain power the ones fitted are Bosch magnecor claim there leads give an increase however the coil pack would require changing and fords in general run bad with anything other than genuine coil packs fitted since the spark is part of the system fiddling with it isnt a good idea i did and ended up at the dealers with a poor car the leads had damaged the coil pack.

you buy slip over hose covers on eBay silicone or plastic having had them they are okay forget the proper hoses no one does a kit ive tried eBay the net and american sites to no avail its an engine that sold in small numbers so wasnt worth the companies time developing parts its all diy im afraid and given the hoses on this car is like a maze i aint removing them till i need to.

theres a few tivct owners on here who are all in the same boat

So...so far I have only really looked at bulbs and lights. I have found a RHS reverse light and bulbs to buy. Obviously I will have to sort the wiring but I didn't fancy having to 'massacre' the light to add a reverse light so I'll buy one. The bulbs (as recommended on here):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Reversing-Light-Lamps-CREE-Q5-LED-Bulbs-5W-High-Power-6000K-Xenon-White-/270855010170?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1037777a#ht_3584wt_1271

I am looking at getting some new side indicators in the range of:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-Fiesta-6-Fusion-Focus-04-LED-SIDE-INDICATORS-/260968675994?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc2f1fa9a#ht_1870wt_1271

To start the LED interior I will start with the courtesy light:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Festoon-Dome-36mm-9-Power-SMD-LED-Spark-Blue-Bulb-/190727085502?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D190716548089%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2093283317225589335#ht_863wt_1165

I have also looked at panel filters and decided on this:

http://www.carnoisseurdirect.com/pipercross-panel-filter-ford-focus-mk2-25-st-1105-pp1630-6875-p.asp

If anyone thinks I could be buying better just let me know. I am still looking for headlights and sidelights but am after bright white lights and not tinged blue lights. Can anyone suggest some decent ones?

A mod you may be interested in for the mk2 that I've literally this minute just finished doing myself is installing wing mirror indicators. If your lucky to find some ST or cmax ghia wing mirrors going already in the right colour you can do it quite cheaply too.

I got my mirrors for 50quid on eBay, n just transplanted the indicators n covers over onto my existing mirrors rather easily. In theory I could now sell the mirrors back on with my old covers on them n make some money back.

Has anyone tried putting on a shark fin ariel onto a focus, if so do they have any pictures?

Has anyone tried putting on a shark fin ariel onto a focus, if so do they have any pictures?

I had a photoshop done of one on mine before,

Had planned to remove the original and fit a fully functioning one to the rear, I'll try find the photoshopped image.

tried and failed the reception was crap sent it back to the seller and its not designed to fit theres a locating hole for the ford base but no locating pin on the shark fin you could whack a load of sealant in but i didnt like the way it sat

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club