Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You Never Know When Your Driving Is Being Recorded - Dash Cams

2011fiesta

Just wondered how many of you have dash cams in your car? I often watch bad drivers on YouTube that have been caught on other people’s dash cams, or driver’s purposely causing bumps and rear endings so they can get cash from the victim’s insurers etc.

I've had a dash cam for about a year after seeing the usual idiots that we have to share the road with - (luckily I've never been involved in anything and I've never had to use my footage as evidence, but it’s nice to know I can prove/show what happened if I was involved in an incident).

For the first time today I actually noticed 2 other cars pass me that also had cash cams on - one was a taxi driver which makes sense being on the road all the time.

Me and my dad have cameras that stick to the screen and hang from underneath the rear view mirrors - how ever with my dad being a driving instructor we ordered a replacement that iNath also uses - its much smaller and hides behind the mirror so it’s unnoticeable to the driver (I'll post pics of it once fitted tomorrow).

My cameras now effectively a spare and is currently pointing out my back window, and my dads current HD cam is now in the front of my car.

(I know its not the neatest or most subtle but I'll be able to remove them easily without trace when changing cars, and for the time being, well, they do their job)

IMG_1627_zps669f7dad.jpg

IMG_1630_zpsffd57538.jpg

IMG_1628_zpsc5e8f5d3.jpg

I wouldn't know where to start to wire them to the ignition so I just use this switch to turn em on and off...

IMG_1631_zps648ff4c8.jpg

The wires to the cams run from the power outlet, then under the drivers chair and into a 4 way socket adapter, then out towards the drivers door and into the rubber door seals, through the A pillar, headliner and out to the camera.

Only sloppy/visible bit is this section but its only me that sees it so I can live with that...

IMG_1629_zps7467cc15.jpg

My new front cam from my dads car unfortunately has an interior view cam too so please ignore the right hand side. It ain't as good as the exterior view so hence on sunny days it makes people look like Casper the ghost.

th_September222012_zps8010fa36.jpg

Yeah, so I guess you never know who’s watching you. It'd be good to hear if anyone else uses dash cams and if you've ever had to use the footage?

Heres a few YouTube vids.

This first one is a must watch if you haven't already seen it. Watch the whole thing, its quite shocking. (London Southall)

Great YouTube channel.... http://www.youtube.c...s/videos?view=0

I have watched that video before , some people should not be allowed to have a licence .

Those cams look great i might invest in one.

Great post, imgoing to look into getting on of these, even if its there for my own piece of mind and hopefully never have to use it, with insurance's now it one word against another most of the time! but havning hard evidence is always a plus.

Thats it, with having a camera you can show you were in the right (hopefully lol), and they are getting cheaper and cheaper on eBay now.

Paul :)

Does anyone have any cameras which would be good one i can just have on my rear veiw mirror and just leave it there all the time, i dont want to be having to take it on and off all the time.

Does anyone have any cameras which would be good one i can just have on my rear veiw mirror and just leave it there all the time, i dont want to be having to take it on and off all the time.

You just leave all dash cams in place. I never take mine out, not even to review footage - you just pop out the memory card.

This is the one nathan has, and the one that I ordered which I'll put in my dads fiesta tomorrow....

its smaller and is more hidden from view

It's stuck on with an adhesive pad on the bracket, so you can leave the bracket there and remove the camera whenever you need to. I think it also comes with a suction pad.

imag0555t.jpg

imag0553e.jpg

imag0557w.jpg

I'd like something like this but as small as possible so people don't notice it installed.

Now... I know nothing about dashcams, other than I want a front and a rear one for my own piece of mind (I see enough accidents at work that go down as a fault claim due to no evidence)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IR-Car-Vehicle-Dash-Cam-Camera-Rotable-270-Monitor-A1-/120729142427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1c04849b Is on eBay for a BIN price of £15.88.

I know about computer parts and that price would tell me to stay well away... but is that normal price for a car camera?

Jesus @ those prices. I think I might take my chances on the £16 china special :P I like the idea of the one thats rear facing and clips onto the headrest though. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Lens-HD-1080P-Car-Cam-Dash-DVR-Black-Box-Night-Vision-Overwrite-HDMI-/390459955172?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5ae93a17e4#ht_9048wt_1397 Looks like that one from the pictures?

Now... I know nothing about dashcams, other than I want a front and a rear one for my own piece of mind (I see enough accidents at work that go down as a fault claim due to no evidence)

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c1c04849b Is on ebay for a BIN price of £15.88.

I know about computer parts and that price would tell me to stay well away... but is that normal price for a car camera?

Well I'll admit the when I first looked into them I saw fancy ones for like £170 but wasn't gonna spend that type of money. Our 3 are just cheap ones that come from china, cheapest being under £40 http://www.ebay.co.u...3661901&afsrc=1 and the most expensive being around £65.00 - at the end of the day the quality it good enough to be used as evidence so I'm glad I didn't get a super duper one.

Heres a couple vids showing failed insurance scams - bit worrying lol

Right, I think I may invest in one next payday. I'll start with the super happy funtime £16 spesh, see how that fares and perhaps upgrade

Found this one looks like the one you guys were using cheaper then the £200 ones but cant beat the £16 one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-IR-Night-Vision-Car-Vehicle-Dashboard-Rotable-5MP-Camera-DVR-Cam-/221021420031?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3375e739ff

You can get plenty of small ones if you look around. They're really small now - cyclists wear them on their helmets.

check out this london vid of two cars in the same clip, one knocking down a cyclist and another running him over!

Unbelievable -

Another London cyclist, known as the traffic droid has a good youtube channel of the idiots he comes into contact with. After a few accidents he now has a car horn fitted to his bike and multiple (front rear and side view) cameras videoing his journey - http://www.youtube.c...eature=CAQQwRs=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJeZPbYcBvE&feature=plcp

Right, I think I may invest in one next payday.

I thought this thread might not even get a reply - I'm thinking its a shame I'm not selling dash cams now, seems I've done a good pitch lol

• Like 1

Found this one looks like the one you guys were using cheaper then the £200 ones but cant beat the £16 one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-IR-Night-Vision-Car-Vehicle-Dashboard-Rotable-5MP-Camera-DVR-Cam-/221021420031?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3375e739ff

That looks half decent.

You just know the instructions will be in poorly translated English though.

That's the best part though mate - Engrish instructions are always good for a laugh. I've seen some shocking translations on eBay just now!

That looks half decent.

You just know the instructions will be in poorly translated English though.

Heres a video of it in action it looks like

flower.gifYou may have such an experience, when an impact happened, actually you had no responsibility to take charge it, it was other party's. Abominably, they refused to do so, but more insidious, they forced you to take the blame! Can you bear it? Absolutely not! The proof? let the Car DVR show you the truth at anytime and anywhere.

Own the DVR, Own the proof, Now let the frame go to hell!

Watching that video, only thing that puts me off is that you can't see their numberplate... and that's incredibly important when proving someone's involved!

Heres a video of it in action it looks like

This is the one Nathan has & I got delievered this morning for my dads car,

Quoting Mr iNath again as he's not here:

If you want cheap this is what I have and

is what the quality is like (I removed sound in the clip and the quality is rubbish and music taste questionable...)

Did you have to use something to stick it to the window if you dont want to use the suction cup provided, becuase it has that other pad but is that got any kind of adhesive on it?

Did you have to use something to stick it to the window if you dont want to use the suction cup provided, becuase it has that other pad but is that got any kind of adhesive on it?

No its just a rubber base as far as I can tell. I was meaning to ask Nathan if he bought his own self adhesive pads coz I didn't get any with mine.

I've got double sided tape for sticking on number plates so surely that'll work

Interesting thread.

A numpty rear ended me on 1st April (no joke) just days after I fitted a £50 China special from eBay. If anyone is looking search for "X6000 car DVR" - has twin lenses, up to 32G storage, LCD screen (front + rear view, date/time etc), internal iR lights, GPS + g-sensors (software shows video footage, speed, running Google Maps overlay, g/shock forces etc). Sucker means it can be positioned fairly discreetly slightly to the left behind the rear view mirror and nice long power cable to !Removed! lighter is handy to. Easy to use and maintenance free. GPS sensor hidden neatly in the tiny passenger side window. All good.

Anyway, the evidence from the camera was great and helped no end. Insurance company loved it and kept my claim beyond dispute. It's also amazing the stuff you capture in general. There's some pure comedy gold creative driving in Bristol.

The camera is discreet. You get used to it being there and forget it but its still gives me extra peace of mind regardless of what's going on outside. If the scammers are out or I'm involved in an incident or someone is being stupid and aggressive or something is simply amiss, then know its all there on video with plenty of extra detail.

However - it has draw backs:-

1) Front and rear lenses mean I have to behave myself in the car, no iffy bloke manners now :-(

2) It has built in sound which I have to turn off in case someone is one day witness to some ripe language. Likewise cheeky conversations with my better half should stay mute, lol.

3) I also dare not show my other half footage in case she catches sight of me checking out a nice girl or two walking along on my way to work.

4) The GPS means I have to be wary of my speed and position. If I have an accident and the insurance company or police spot I'm ambling along at the speed of sound in my 1.25 it won't wash with them. That's admittedly a good thing to be fair and its slowed me down. Interestingly the other day I passed a Police van doing speed checks and it made me wonder who was watching who?!?

I'd say buy one. Some folks don't like it and think its all a bit dubious in some way or simply view them skepticism, but it's already proven its worth with me and one of my colleagues.