Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Im So Stuck Here :( Anyone Know About Focus Engines, Please Help!

focus 1.6 ti-vct

Hi guys, im at my witts end with this problem, no one seems to know much about these 1.6tivct engines, im soooooo stuck!

i own a ford focus 2008 (08 reg) Mk2

it is a 115bhp zetec climate ...

i need a new engine and the problem i have is that everyone sends me a standard 1.6 engine, the root of the problem is that the engine code starts with 4m5g and that is what im after but the engines they send are the wrong ones, there is no solenoids on the cam shaft covers and the exhaust manifolds are in the wrong place .... cut a long story short ...

does anyone know EXACTLY what engine i need? i have found loads of focus cmax and new fiesta engines that look 100% like what i need ... are these ok to put in my car? will it work with no problems?

heres what i found so far __>>

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150465153520?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1267wt_989

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320959016103?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2123wt_1185

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180971467276?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_867wt_1185

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200810167935?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2352wt_952

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251156045399?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1202

will any of these be ok?

thanks guys, really appreciate any help :)

Hi mate, when speaking to the guys at mountune about an upgrade for the focus 1.6 Ti VCT they said that the focus mk2 and mk2.5 engines are identical to the mk7 (09 >) fiesta engine (1.6 Ti VCT) however they have different electrical systems and ECU. That's why the mountune kit doesn't fit the focus.

So if you we're to fit a fiesta engine, you would need a focus wiring loom and ECU.

The reason ford did that is the focus has less bhp than the fiesta, but a bit more torque as it is a bigger car

Hope that helps

simply put you can only really use the foci engine c max and fiestas are slightly different like placement of airbox and intake also the ecu is different so you need one from a focus mk2 or 2.5

they didnt sell ti vct by the millions more the standard 1.6 and any ive seen are around 800-900 for that you could have youre engine rebuilt ive searched eBay and found nothing suitable as for knowing about these engines its mainly only ford who do

Hi haz93 thank you for that :) i remember before actually speaking to mountune performance about 2 years ago for an upgrade to my engine, but exactly what you said, the fiesta and focus engines are not compatable, even tho there both 1.6TiVCTs :( shame because it seems that theres alot of interest in upgrades for these ...

Hi artscot79:) you can prob remember me about a month ago on my old post asking about an engine, well, update .. i bought one of those showed to me on eBay, unfortunately the engine that i received was completely different from shown! the cheek! !Removed! garages! haha :)

eBay listing picture ->http://sinewavesounds.co.uk/ebaypic.JPG

What i received-> http://sinewavesounds.co.uk/received.jpg

My actual engine i need ->http://sinewavesounds.co.uk/IMAG0589.jpg

After speaking to some idiot for an hour, he finally realized the wrong engine was sent and was asking if i knew what one was compatable .... urmmmm, thats why im on here again asking for advice because atleast you guys know :)

So artscot79, your saying that the cmax and fiestas engines are no good?

shame, theres loads of them! :)

i really dont want to go down the road of repairing my old engine, it was cursed with bad luck and hadnt been playing fair for a while now thinking about it, i think new engine swappy will just do the trick (if i can !Removed! find one!) :D

cheers guys

the cmax and fiestas run various differences airbox locations throttle housings torque maps etc its far easier to swap like for like if u use the others youll need ecus coding etc etc they are the same engine but adapted for each application unfortunately sellers list them as focus fiesta cmax but they arent the same perseverance mate is the key they do turm up on eBay phoning the breakers is best so they call you when they get one in but as theyre second hand you have no idea if theyre any better so you would or i wdnuld change the belts tensioners and water pump plugs and oil

Depending on what is wrong with your engine, you may get away with a fiesta/c max engine if you can transfer all the wiring and external parts ( ie air box) from your current engine. That is just a thought as mechanically they are identical

• 1 year later...

Hi every body < i m a new here could someone help me , my eyes will get out because of searching on websites all day my problem is that i have a HWDA 1.6 engine with a Ti-VCT system and all websites says that the engine mounted with the VCT have an HXDA engine code ? how it can be ? could someone help me on this ? another thing , we have two types of engines 100 hp and 115 hp could some tell me what is the difference between both of them without refer to the engine ? and why in some websites the engine Ti-VCT 115 hp is called 115/120 hp ??? i will be thankfull if someone can help me on this

okay this is an hxda engine post-8800-0-46334700-1408966089_thumb.jp

this is a 100 bhp 1.6 engine it does not have a ti vct system this is an hxda ti vct post-8800-0-69665300-1408966113_thumb.jp the differences are pretty clear to see so if you have an hxda you have the engine at the top and not a ti vct system it cant be retrofitted to an hwda engine as the engines are internally very different the 115bhp ti vct does not come in hwda form

post-8800-0-17165700-1408966016_thumb.jp

but i have it already : :)

Code engine : HWDA

Type Engine : TI-VCT

i think if i have a HWDA i can change it to an TI VCT engine with 115hp with modification of some parts and the new engine will be mouted in another vehicule because of ECU and so on ... what do you think ?

the top pic is an hwda engine the bottom the hxda what engine do you have from the pictures if its the top and thats how it looks its not a ti vct engine hwda does not come in ti vct form and its not as easy as change a few bits they are setup completely differently

easily explained you dont have a ti vct what you have is standard vct that all ford engines had so you have the 100 bhp zetec se engine codenamed sigma this like all ford engines has vct technology this explains it

Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) is an automobile variable valve timing technology developed by Ford.
It allows for more optimum engine performance, reduced emissions, and
increased fuel efficiency compared to engines with fixed camshafts. It
uses electronically controlled hydraulic valves
that direct high pressure engine oil into the camshaft phaser cavity.
These oil control solenoids are bolted into the cylinder heads towards
the front of the engine near the camshaft phasers. The powertrain
control module (PCM) transmits a signal to the solenoids to move a valve spool
that regulates the flow of oil to the phaser cavity. The phaser cavity
changes the valve timing by rotating the camshaft slightly from its
initial orientation, which results in the camshaft timing being advanced
or retarded. The PCM adjusts the camshaft timing depending on factors
such as engine load and RPM.

For twin cam or DOHC engines, VCT was used on either the intake or
exhaust camshaft. (Engines that have VCT on both camshafts are now
designated as Ti-VCT.) The use of variable camshaft timing on the
exhaust camshaft is for improved emissions, and vehicles with VCT on the
exhaust camshaft do not require exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) as retarding the exhaust cam timing achieves the same result.[1]
VCT on the intake camshaft is used primarily for increasing engine
power and torque as the PCM is able to optimize the opening of the
intake valves to match the engine conditions.[2]

Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) is
the name given by Ford to engines with the ability to advance or !Removed!
the timing of both the intake and exhaust camshafts independently,
unlike the original versions of VCT, which only operated on a single
camshaft. This allows for improved power and torque, particularly at
lower engine RPM, as well as improved fuel economy and reduced
emissions.[2]

so youre engine is a 1.6 100bhp zetec se engine thats it its not a 1.6 115bhp ti vct engine

no they are 2 different engines internally oil pathways are different for a start as are the internal designs easiest way to do it is fit a ti vct engine

so can you explain to me ! how i found a HWDA block code with a Ti vct System !

You dont have a ti vct system the hwda has a vct system as explained and as the info above explains the hwda is the vct system totally different from the ti vct system people call it a ti vct but its not the picture shows the solenoids if those are on youre engine and it looks like the second pic its a ti vct if you dont and it looks like the first pic its a vct its really that simple

thanks a lot , but i already understand you from the first day . the question is if i have alreday a Ford focus 1.6 Ti-VCT(HXDA engine code ) and i have a dammage on cylinder Block . could i change it with a HWDA Cylinder block ?? i hope you understand my question ...

no its not posible for these reasons the engines look the same on the outside however the ti vct bottom
end has only the same conrod bearings water and oil pump as the standard
1.6 thats all the ti vct has a electronically controlled water oil heat
exchanger attatched to the inside of the oil filter
housing to aid faster warm up and aid cooling of the oil during normal
operating temperatures ,the piston housing the piston pin area are
reinforced and the pistons crown thickness has been increased over
standard ,there are larger 3.5mm deep valve
pockets designed into the bottom end to account for all possible cam
timing variations ,the crankshaft was redesigned from an 8 counter
weight to a 4 counterweight and the standard symetrical tumble type
ports on the intake and outtake were changed to asymetrical ports, the spark plug
has been lifted by 1.5mm to make the water galleries closer the head,
has different water paths with modified oil circuit and restrictors in
each cam gallery, end bearings and cams integrated with a built in vct
bridge with increased compression and increased valve llift

the whole engine inside is different it has way different tolerances
the pistons are totally different the piston bores have different
linings the oil exchanger isnt in the original 1.6 which is required
even the wiring to the engine is different as is the ecu so as i said
the bottom end will not work you need a ti vct bottom end or whole
engine a standard 1.6 will not work as the cam timing will cause the
pistons and valves to smash together hence why the ti vct has deeper
pockets to prevent this as well as moving various internal parts around

thanks friend for these information , pearhaes i will have some other questions in the next few days i hope you be here as usally , and thanks again :)

hello could you help me with some pictures if you have ? about the process of disassembly of Ti vct system

hello could you help me with some pictures or book if you have ? about the process of disassembly of Ti vct system and how its work ? :)

• 6 years later...

Hi guys

I have a 2009 focus mk2 with 1.4l duratec engine ive got an mk3 1.6l tivct engine

What about the electronic and electric i know the wiring is different 

I want to know what i need for the engine 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club