Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Illuminated Ignition Barrel Wiring Issues

Oxide

As for cutting into existing looms, that's why I decided to go through the courtesy light, tiny bit of extra fiddling to get there but as a complete novice in wiring it certainly made things easier than cutting and splicing. It's up to you and how confident you are at the end of the day.

I was the same mate, hadn't really planned on doing anything to mine until I stumbled across this. After looking at Stoney's, Lenny's, Brigante's, and other peoples mods I'm getting quite addicted now. Great group of helpful lads

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brigante

• Oxide

• Stoney871

• quadrophenic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i had the dealer poking around trying to figure out how the rear was lit up and the front then he spotted the door handle l.e.ds and wanted to know how its done while he was having a nose the mechanic decided he wanted to do it to his fiesta lol l.e.d boot lights next then thats me till the new year

lol I feel like I need to start a list, or my own thread just to keep track of the plans I've got for mine. Too many mod's on here that I want to keep track of!

Sorry for the late reply, been a long day.

In answer to previous posts, bearing in mind I too was a complete novice, I still maintain splicing the ignition barrel LED straight into the driverside foot-well is a lot easier than wiring it to the courtesy light. It saves a lot of fiddling too.

To do what I did, follow Clive's guide for how to remove the steering wheel column surround. Once this is removed, you will see a black sheet of foam covering the foot-well. Instead of following the guide on routing the wire to the courtesy light, flap the foam sheet up and locate the foot-well wire, it will be easy to spot cause It's loosely wrapped in fabric tape.

Hold the LED ring to the ignition barrel then route the loom to the foot-well wire, allow an extra inch or 2 and cut off the rest of the loom as It won't be needed.

614394_481238915228000_1881787785_o.jpg

You could however actually sell this off-cut to someone who has no front foot-well lighting at all as they will need it to install them.

Take a stanley blade and trim back some of the plastic off the end of the live and earth wires to expose the copper wire inside.

Peel back some of the fabric tape of the foot-well lghting and you will see the live and earth wires. Starting with the earth wire, take the stanely blade and again trim back some of the plastic to expose the copper wire. It'll look like this:

Image2173.jpg

Now wrap the exposed end of the earth wire of the LED loom around the exposed earth wire of the foot-well wire. Tape this up tight with electrical tape.

Repeat the same process for the live wires and again tape them up.

Once finished (without tape) it will look like this:

Image2189.jpg

With tape:

Image2191.jpg

The LED ignition barrel light will now run off the same feed and timing as the foot-wells

Now follow Clive's guide for how to put the steering wheel column back together and your good to go.

I know how hard and long winded it might sound reading it, but it is actually extremely simple to do and only took a novice like me a few minutes to do. And is good practice if you ever want to install rear foot-well lighting like I have as it's exactly the same process except you splice into the passenger foot-well instead. Lenny has already written a brilliant guide on this but again it is also very simple to do.

Right, wires corrected and footwells up to scratch, maybe this will stop Charlie sticking the knife in at last...:P

DSC_0203-1.jpg

Just been out and took this especially for you mate now that I've fitted my glove box light ;)

DSCN0826.jpg

Although you do already have the same glove box light so your front lighting is now the same as mine pretty much

But I can still counter it with my rear lighting :P

DSCN0828.jpg

Can also say that after you said the foot-well LEDs I recommended to you was dim as ditch water, it turned out you'd just wired them wrong and they now look the business :P

Looking great guys, I need to write a list and get my priorities in order but rear footwell and glovebox lighting are definitely on my to-do list!

Looking great guys, I need to write a list and get my priorities in order but rear footwell and glovebox lighting are definitely on my to-do list!

Glove box is an easy one mate as you already have a glove box light (don't you?) so you just need to order one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4aadd2f69b

Then it's just plug n play. Remove your glove box, easy just a couple of screws, remove the standard light bulb, plug in the wedge adapter that came with the LED pad, re-fit your glove box ensuring the wire from the adapter goes through the hole in the glove box, plug the led pad into the wire and stick the light either on the top or on the side of the glove box.

But as the pads come from china n mine took about a month I'd order it now. While your at it though order a second one to replace your boot light with, or order 3 in total if your thinking about doing a second boot light like I did. If you gonna get 2 or 3 obviously order em all in one go so then you got em all ready for as and when you decide to fit em rather than decide to do the jobs 1 at a time n order them separately waiting a month each time

I still have a pair of 3 led strips coming which I was planning to wire in to the footwell's in place of the bulbs, but as I'm happy with them now I'll have to think of somewhere else to put them.

Maybe cup holder, OBD port pocket or something similar.

Ideas welcomed.

I think I have a glovebox light....not entirely sure. I'll check tomorrow. Boot lighting sounds good, how involved does it get adding a second? Do you just splice it into the original?

I think I have a glovebox light....not entirely sure. I'll check tomorrow. Boot lighting sounds good, how involved does it get adding a second? Do you just splice it into the original?

Yes mate very simple splicing again but you will obviously need a second bulb holder n a length of wire. Simply remove all the necessary trim pieces in the boot, splice one end of the length of wire into the existing boot light, route the wire around the spare wheel well and up. So it's basically parallel to the existing boot light on the other side and cut off the rest of the wire. Splice the second bulb holder into the wire then cut a hole in the trim piece where the light will shine though. Re-fit all the trim pieces, whack in another bulb n your good to go.

As always, Lenny has already written a detailed guide:

http://www.fordowner...083#entry146083

It's very simple to do as well as cheap n the results are this

DSCN0830.jpg

Nuff said B)

I still have a pair of 3 led strips coming which I was planning to wire in to the footwell's in place of the bulbs, but as I'm happy with them now I'll have to think of somewhere else to put them.

Maybe cup holder, OBD port pocket or something similar.

Ideas welcomed.

Was gonna say cup holder or door handle mate. I'm doing them at some point.

Sorry though but the thought of you wiring even more lights into your foot-wells as the wiring was is hilarious, you thought they was dim then so after going to the trouble of wiring more in, the look on your face when none of them light up at all would have been a right picture :huh:

Oxide if you do wanna do the second boot light n you gonna get the led pad, you won't need another cover cause the pad just sticks straight over the hole so all you'll need is one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK1-Boot-Light-Bulb-Holder-Hatchback-98-05-/280971103605?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item416b2ecd75

and a length of wire:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180513876557?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Hey I figured it out in the end.

Even I make mistakes.

Oxide, you need one of these-

http://pages.ebay.co...id=120991188718

Lol sorry mate wasn't taking a dig it would have just been a funny sight ;)

And damnit beat me to it by a second with the second boot light listing. Was gonna list the same one but it's an auction, plus if you do what I did the cover isn't needed which is why I now have no use for mine n it's going spare if anyone want's it?

So I just linked the bulb holder only listing that's also buy it now so save waiting for the auction to run

Oxide mate now that I'm fitting mirror indicators, I've got the bulb holders from my old indicators going spare

2012-09-26200953.jpg

So if you gonna do the second boot light I could post you one of these. It's all I used to do mine cause I had a spare indicator unit before.

I thought those LED pads would work for the boot lights? I think I might wait for a bit. I've got the parts for about 6 different mods in the post already. On my short term to do list is:

Front footwells

Rear footwells

Courtesy light

Pedals

Badges

And climate control knobs

Once they're done I'll look at glovebox lights, boot lights, drl's, brake calipers etc etc....

Thanks for the offer though mate, I might take you up on it in the near future

I thought those LED pads would work for the boot lights? I think I might wait for a bit. I've got the parts for about 6 different mods in the post already. On my short term to do list is:

Front footwells

Rear footwells

Courtesy light

Pedals

Badges

And climate control knobs

Once they're done I'll look at glovebox lights, boot lights, drl's, brake calipers etc etc....

Yeah the Led pads are for the boot, but you currently only have one boot light lol, what you need to do is wire in an extra bulb holder so that you can plug in the second LED pad n have one on each side. In that photo I just haven't taken the old indicator bulb out yet lol.

Like Clive n I previously listed these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120991188718

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item416b2ecd75

But to save you a few quid i can just send you one of my spare bulb holders for free instead, then all you need is a length of wire to route me bulb holder to your existing boot light like in Lenny's guide n your done. As long as it's a wedge bulb holder it don't matter where it comes from whether it's from the boot or indicator etc.

Ahh right gotcha, sorry mate, got a bit confused there. Yeah that would be great, I think the boot light is a bit low on my priority list atm seeing as the led pads would take ages to ship.

If I did get one of the lights listed with the plastic cover would it just slot into the trim like the existing boot light? I know there's holes cut out in the trim on both sides, I just think it would look a bit more complete if both lights had a plastic cover. Or would that dampen the light a bit too much?

I think I need to start a build thread on here to keep track of what I have planned

The holes on the left side do not line up with the right hand side boot light.

Usually fitting involves cutting a hole to fit the lens but if you're intending to do LED pads from the off, just run the wire from anexisting hole or gap and stick the lights where you prefer.

You could even move the original one to a better position too.

Ahh right gotcha, sorry mate, got a bit confused there. Yeah that would be great, I think the boot light is a bit low on my priority list atm seeing as the led pads would take ages to ship.

If I did get one of the lights listed with the plastic cover would it just slot into the trim like the existing boot light? I know there's holes cut out in the trim on both sides, I just think it would look a bit more complete if both lights had a plastic cover. Or would that dampen the light a bit too much?

I think I need to start a build thread on here to keep track of what I have planned

As Clive just said mate, and as I previously explained you will need to cut a hole in the trim piece on the other side of the boot so that it lines up with the existing boot light, this is easily done though cause you simply cut the hole out with a stanely blade.

Lenny has explained this in his guide.

But if you don't wanna go down the LED pad route, you could use 2 of the same LEDs from your front foot-wells, they'll do the job nicely but obviously not as bright as the pads but still bright enough.

And as I'm such a nice bloke, if you want one of my spare bulb holders I'll even let you have my plastic cover from my boot light.

2012-09-26225545.jpg

It'll do exactly the same job as the eBay listing

This is what my boot was lit up like when I had 2 of the foot-well leds in compared to the second photo which is the pads:

DSCN0775.jpg

DSCN0830.jpg

Still quite bright as you can see mate so if you don't wanna wait for the pads just stick with them.

Here's what my second boot light looked like without the plastic cover before I fitted the pad over the hole I cut with a stanley:

DSCN0778.jpg

Like I said if you want my plastic cover to go over the hole it's yours mate.

The pads make the boot look a lot tider mate compared to the image of the wedge bulbs

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club