Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofit Auto Lights And Wipers

clubber

Resurrecing an old post.

I've installed the mirror, the rain sensor and the auto head lamp switch I have the wiring in place like mixmaster, but how did you go about "activating" the autoheadlamps and rain sensor, did you do it via the ELMConfig software and the modded ELM cable or did you take a trip to a local Ford dealer and get them to activate it using IDS?

Resurrecing an old post.

I've installed the mirror, the rain sensor and the auto head lamp switch I have the wiring in place like mixmaster, but how did you go about "activating" the autoheadlamps and rain sensor, did you do it via the ELMConfig software and the modded ELM cable or did you take a trip to a local Ford dealer and get them to activate it using IDS?

I used ELMconfig myself, it's easy enough

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Ford OC mobile app

Right got into the GEM and ticked a few boxes, however since my car is prefacelift, the auto headlights are on all the time when in auto mode, and the rain sensor has stopped my variable intermittent wipe to just a normal 10 second sweep, cannot seem to find a post that somebody had the same problems and installed a 2008> fuse box?

Any other ideas?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just a wee update Got the auto lights/wipers all working for £25 thanks to Tezza, (What a top bloke he is), it was just a total plug 'n' play sort of mod for me.

• Like 2

Well done mate, what did you change out of curiosity?

I changed the GEM module from a Titanium X reprogrammed it with my settings from my own GEM and hey presto

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a problem with making the sensor work properly. I have an "AA" sensor (bargain with auto-dim mirror), but I see here that it shouldn't be a problem. But it looks like there is something wrong.

My situation looks like this:

sensor is mounted, wiring was already in place, everything is plugged in as it should be, I used ELM-FF software (from guide here on forums) to activate "Rain sensor" and "Light sensor" options, written to GEM, no problem what so ever. Now, when I turn wipers to first (auto) position, they do behave differently than before, so I believe there's something changed, however when I turn my headlights to the AUTO position, only thing I get, is headlights to turn on as Ford's DRL system (which means only low beam is on at 85%, no parking lights, no tail lights) - and if I put my hand across the sensor, nothing happens.

Any ideas on what to do? Or perhaps, did I forget to turn on some other option in ELM config?

Thanks ;)

Sounds like you need to have a look at the GEM module and see if it compatible with what your trying to do....

Make sure you have all the pins populated in the upper left hand corner of the GEM module / fuse box.

What year is your car and what spec is it?

• Like 1

Yes I would say you have the same problem KevG had so it's time to look for another gem module

• Like 1

This is what my GEM module looks like:

post-58295-0-49547000-1440576579_thumb.j post-58295-0-25497200-1440576580_thumb.j

...as you can see, all the pins are there, and the GEM is the pre-FL version, I believe the almost most earliest version...if this would come to changing the GEM module, what does it take? Getting the new GEM module of course, then what? Save config through elmconfig, install new GEM in place and then load it's config through elmconfig again?

//EDIT: oh, and the car is 2005 Focus 1.8TDCi, Champion edition, which is sort of "upgraded" Trend X trim...

Yes exactly that :) make sure the new gem is from a 2008 onwards you will find it look different but all your plugs will fit the reacement gem

Other than having an older GEM, could this be something else? 'cause from what I'm reading on other forums, this should work also on pre-FL cars/GEMs without any problems...and if rain sensor works...and light sensor "does something too"...I'm thinking it should be more of a sensor-related issue, rather than GEM problem...

I have help other out with the same problem as yourself and in every case it was the gem module and everyone had a pfl focus

Hmm...ok...how about this one? What can I, let's say, expect, from this GEM?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121719172940?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I didn't find any other that has all the pins needed for the rain/light sensor...how do I check if it will work with all the other features I have in my car? Let's say heated windsreen?

after 2008 Ford only made one Gem module that fits all model focuses so it didn't matter what extra features the focus had you can enable any extras that any focus model had

• Like 1

Oh, didn't know that...any link/FINIS/product no.? :)

Or do you think the one from the link could be it? Because, as I said, I came across lot of them on eBay, but only on this one I saw the pins for the sensors, for example...

Mine has the number 7M5T-14A073-JE and when i fitted mine and enabled it with elm all worked perfect

I would say that would work, what do you think Tezza?

Ok, I'll try to get some new GEM I guess...one more thing though...page back, Kurt posted few pics showing his progress on installing sensor and auto-dim rearview mirror and here's the thing. His bracket to hold the mirror:

post-58295-0-34005400-1440689645_thumb.j

and here's mine:

post-58295-0-33311900-1440689672_thumb.j

you can see there are three "bumps" on the bracket, which makes it impossible to attach it to the windscreen with some sort of rearview mirror repair glue I bought.

It's genuine Ford part that is supposedly used on every Focus (or Ford car generally I believe) that has auto-dim mirror...

How should I mount this? Or is there some counterpart that I'm supposed to buy too? I didn't find anything like that, only this bracket, which should hold the mirror...

Thanks...

Your better to get a new windscreen as the mount for the rain senor is bonded to the screen.

Well, yes, that's one way to go, but for now I'm looking more for a solution that wouldn't set me back hundreds of €s... ;)

I gather windscreen replacement isn't covered on your car insurance wherever you are?

:( not anymore...we have two types of insurances here in Slovakia, one that's mandatory, which pays the damage I cause to others but not my own, and second, which you don't need to get, and that covers also your costs...but for a 10 year old car it's pretty expensive...and it doesn't even necessarilly cover windscreen repairs...I had it too, but it expired five - six years ago when the car was finally paid off...from then on, I have to pay for every repair...luckily there weren't that many...("knock on wood")

That's a pain.....can you not get a breakers yard to salvage a screen and get it fitted?