Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Booked In For Remap

A-train

Got my Tdci zetec s booked in for a remap at Celtic tuning. Thought I'd do a thread and let people know the end result and how I get on with it.

I know some people have had remap and 'tuning boxes/resistors/chip'(whatever they're called) so any experiences people add would be good and hopefully this thread could be useful to people considering something similar.

I've chosen Celtic as they've said It'll add +30bhp and +49Ibft of torque which is higher than mountune and I know a few people who have good things to say about them as well as ok price... and its just down the road :)

What do you recommend for a petrol ZS? I heard that the exhaust note on the Mountune is a bit raucaus

Tbh Mountune's MP140 and MR155 seem like the best options for petrol Zs. Im sure you could stipulate a slightly different exhaust when they fit it or get it modified????

I know a remap alone on N/a Petrols dont make as big a difference as diesels.

Is is possible to spec the same exhaust set up as the Metal with the mountune upgrade? I don't want anything sounding too boy racer like, just a bit more torque at lower engine speeds would be ideal, and a more fruity exhaust note but nothing too over the top.

Is it worth paying the extra for the MR155?

Couldn't tell you that bud. Ping an email to mountune. I'm sure they'll tell you what they can and cant do. I know of a couple of people on here that have had the MP and MR kits. Best search for their threads, may help you decide better.

Had my 1.6tdci remapped last Friday by souhan.ie brought from 90bhp to 120

And fitted piper stainless duplex exhaust, completly new car and only 2mpg less than before the remap.

I'll have to give those Mountune boys a bell myself. I've had dealings with Angel Tuning near Banbury to get my 1.6 tdci titanium (60 plate) remapped. First time they booked me in on a day they were shut so I drove the 80 odd miles to find a closed workshop. Well unimpressed! After re-arranging and agreeing a discount for my wasted time and fuel, I delivered it back to them and left it with them for four hours as they said the anti tamper stuff on my model needed more time to get around. Long story short, they couldn't back-up the original map so were very reluctant to put the new map on (fair enough). Doubly not impressed! Apparently they have re-mapped newer cars than mine and couldn't understand why mine wouldn't play ball. Not sure where I'm going with this, just venting. Grrrr.

I enquired to Angel tuning Plymouth but they quoted an extra £100 compared to Celtic and with less power gains. Hoping I wont have the same issues you've had.

Lenny, whats the exhaust like on a diesel?

Heard bad things about Angel tuning from friends that have gone there.

Reduced performance and lower mpg which is obviously not what a remap is supposed to deliver.

I went bluefin and have not looked back.

Price on the Celtic Tune? I was looking at those. If they're decent I'll go for one; the launch-assist they can do also seems tasty so that might be a good buy (not for the Fiesta though :P)

One question I have is how does this affect your insurance? I have found that you can't use comparison sites any more, since as soon as you add the option that your car has been modified with engine tuning/management system then the quotes are just ridiculous.

Celtic tune £295. Agreed launch control would be pointless.

I will no doubt cause controversy but whats the point in telling them? (Yes I know you should) and I agree they should be aware of mods.

Celtic tune £295. Agreed launch control would be pointless.

I will no doubt cause controversy but is there any point in telling them? (Yes I know you should) and I agree they should be aware of mods. Mine even know that my stock wheels are white. I havent heard of companies plugging in to your car after an accident, which theyd have to do to even find out. Just my 2p

That and if they do find out you just tell them it must have been fitted before you got the car and where unaware and there's not a lot they can do as its a fairly big problem

I will no doubt cause controversy but is there any point in telling them? (Yes I know you should) and I agree they should be aware of mods.

Yes, otherwise it's called insurance fraud and you've just posted it on public forum. They pay private investigators and the like a lot of money to look in to these things. They match up an invoice from Celtic Tuning to your car registration and you'd be screwed in the event of a claim.

Which is why I asked the question and gave my opinion, although reading back contradicted myself a bit :wacko: I'm aware its owners responsibility and don't intend on breaking laws

Stoney it sounds like I dodged a bullet then?

Someone I spoke to today with a focus 1.6tdci said he had the same engine as me and his was 110bhp... I take it this is just ecu or the injectors are different.... or are there bigger differences between the two?

Someone I spoke to today with a focus 1.6tdci said he had the same engine as me and his was 110bhp... I take it this is just ecu or the injectors are different.... or are there bigger differences between the two?

The focus is available in 90bhp and 110bhp 1.6TDCi model.

I have the 90bhp model now remapped to 120bhp

The 110 focus has bigger fuel injectors and can be mapped to 140bhp both focus also have a front mount intercooler which I don't think the fiesta has

So only differences would be injectors and intercooler.

Also you asked about the exhaust,

I'll try get some video's up but it sounds much the same as standard just a tad louder with the burble grunt of the engine and wistle of the turbo when you come off the pedal.

Its a 3" bore from the DPF back and sounds like a scooby when in 3rd gear at 3,000rpm

Image2306_zps15bf0ddc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that Lenny... Good to know!

So...The cars been remapped and on the rolling road. All I can say is GET IT DONE! Its now performing like the car should have been when it left the factory.

Going from memory (need to find the dyno sheet) the cars original output when they put it on the dyno was 100bhp and 160Ibft. So started off slightly above fords claims from go.

It now stands at just under 127bhp and over 200Ibft but was increasing each time they dyno'd it. Although not massive gains for a diesel... its alot compared to mountune and other places have advertised for this engine.

I was worried that it wouldn't be that noticable but it deffo is. Traction control is busier than before too. MPG seems unchaged once I drove it normally too. Rev limiters been upped and has a smoother torque curve and doesnt run out of puff at higher revs as much as before.

Overall I'm very happy. Celtic have a good set up and seem to know what they're doing and were friendly so I recommend

Also you asked about the exhaust,

I'll try get some video's up but it sounds much the same as standard just a tad louder with the burble grunt of the engine and wistle of the turbo when you come off the pedal.

Its a 3" bore from the DPF back and sounds like a scooby when in 3rd gear at 3,000rpm

Image2306_zps15bf0ddc.jpg

Are you removing the dpf or leaving it in

Now we just need to find out if this 'hex flag' actually exists.

Apparently there's some 'hex flag' that when hooked up to the dealer's equipment comes up to say the car's been modified and then off is written the warranty of the vehicle.

Hi, the reason they couldn't re-map is 2010 model TDCIs were fitted with a Bosch ECU instead of a Seimens one, and it is an anti-tamper , but I know they are working on cracking it, I was just into get mine done last Saturday, and told they couldn't do it, but they will eventually

Well to be honest ive only got a few months left on it anyways. The remap comes with a 12month warranty that if found somethings gone wrong due to the remap and the dealer wont touch it then I should be covered *touch wood