Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Towbar Electrics

pauljoanss

I have successfully refitted the Towbar taken from my previous Mk2 onto my Mk3 but now have to face the electrics. Does anyone know if their is a dedicated socket on wiring loom for Towbar electrics.

Otherwise my only option is "knive & fork" attack on wiring using those scotch(?) connectors things. Would hate to do botch job only to find out later that a dedicated socket was available.

Any other advice would be welcome.

Hi, if it is for a Mk3 2011 0n then I found this http://www.towequipe.co.uk/products/19060527rcc-conwys-car-specific-towbar-7-pin-wiring-kit-ford-focus-5-door-hatchback-2011-on.html which looks like it has a dedicated socket. Also be aware that the car has to 'know' that a trailer or caravan is connected to the vehicle so it can turn off the reverse sensors and, I believe, alter the various gizmos, such as the dynamic cornering control.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Have looked at the kit you referenced and not convinced that it is designed to fit special socket on car. The picture shows a multi pin plug, but it also shows an electronic unit with a multi pin socket and I am assuming the two go together.

Would like to see some clear instructions about plugging into existing car socket.

• 4 months later...

Still have not fitted electrics but started today then the mass of fine wires has made me decide to find dedicated kit but just cannot seem to find one.

Can anyone help.

Thanks, I have already seen this page but not very happy with some details so have emailed the company asking why the latest kit is described as Mar 2011 onwards and why the fitting instructions only describe the Ford C Max and Ford Grand Max. The instruction pictures do not seem to relate to my 5 door Focus.

These kits are very expensive so do not want to end up with the wrong one.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Were you able to find a propper solution to the wiring? I'm also sitting with the same issue, fitted a thule detachable towbar in the week and was promised plug and play, unfortunately not so I stopped them from fitting harness and said I'd rather do it myself. I remember when reading on Fords website that the car comes with a Pre-harness, do any of you know where this plug might sit? I found a small green plug with four wires but when testing with multi-meter no readings, maybe it should be activated first?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

• 7 years later...

I have a 2013 mk3 focus estate I will be towing a caravan with standard brakes not electric so I dont think I need the trailer brake towing module am I right in assuming this