Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg - Your Experiences

mobily

I have done some reading which suggests the 1.6 petrol has improved mpg after the engine has done a certain number of miles at decent revs. Would this be true?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobily

• Pitmonster

• Scoobimax

• GSM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the 2 litre diesel i get around 500-550 miles out a tank(I beleive is 53 litres) Thats mainly motorway driving as i drive M5, M42, M40 to work and about 2 miles either side of the motorways.

Not sure on the MPG around 45 maybe.

update town only driving in the ti vct has got me 32mpg so i cant grumble

Update - 300 miles of town driving returned me 31.22 by manual calculation.

this is what i mean. a 1.6 petrol is returning better mpg than my 1.6 diesel.

what else could be contributing to poor mpg?

even on a run or mainly A Roads and Motorways i only get up to about 40mpg

Checked on the trip today averaging 51mpg after 350 miles :)

this is what i mean. a 1.6 petrol is returning better mpg than my 1.6 diesel.

what else could be contributing to poor mpg?

even on a run or mainly A Roads and Motorways i only get up to about 40mpg

Dave

I am not saying this is the answer but just thought I'd mention it.

I drove various makes of TD cars for years in UK for a living and when I drove them so they went as good(fast) as a petrol version, the MPG was bad. When i drove them like a diesel the MPG was good but it was !Removed! boring. Seeing as all the petrol was paid by my firm, you can imagine what option i chose.

Dave

As Dave says, it could all be down to your right foot. <_<

I once achieved an average of 55.2 MPG from Chadderton to Blackpool once, true story. And this was in my 1.6 Petrol. I was practically in 5th all the way there, and driving at 65 down the motorway.

Mk to brands hatch and back today 165 miles and got an average of 40.1mpg and cost 28 quid to fill on tesco momentum

My experience is all down to my driving style. I cover a lot of miles, and I do a lot of long range driving.

If I drive sensibly not going above 60mph I can achieve 52mpg and higher.

If I drive like I used to drive my petrol i.e 80mph down the motorway like a lot of people, I can normally average anything between 44 and 50mpg.

I avoid trying to go above 2000-2500rpm when changing up gears as there is no benefit of over doing it unless you're trying to over take, and its probably no good on the engine.

I have a 2008 MK2 Facelift Focus Zetec Estate, with a 1.6 Diesel engine, When I brought her in Feburary I had roughly 47500 miles, I am now on roughly 58500 (service due soon, I've been told it will ping up on the dash!?!?)

Tank no 3 into RoadTrip Lite app gives me a tank mpg of 49.86; with a 3 tank average of 48.55.

That's a massive step up on my 47.2 previously reported. The car on board read out si now showing a 6 month average of 47 mpg.

Stay tuned for regular updates ;-)

Max

Next fuel purchase. 50.11 mpg for the last tank full, 49.08 cumulative.

Slowly keep increasing the mpg's & still enjoying my "progressive" driving style.

Keeping this thread alive.

Next fuel purchase. 50.11 mpg for the last tank full, 49.08 cumulative.

Slowly keep increasing the mpg's & still enjoying my "progressive" driving style.

Keeping this thread alive.

It's addictive, isn't it?

Expect to see the figures drop with the colder weather though - especially with shorter journeys where the car doesn't get up to temperature properly.

Computer currently showing 31.1mpg... again mainly town driving with a couple of A road trips but not more than 40 miles in total. Plenty of short journeys 2/3 miles a piece.

My 7yr old 2.0TDCI (136bhp) Focus Titanium with 110k on the clock consistantly delivers 51MPG on the work run (which is about 10 miles each way, mostly doing between 30mph-60mph).

In the summer i drove from Southampton to Blackpool, put in a full tank of V-Power diesel, and it returned 76MPG. And for the trip home 68MPG. Was more than happy with that. I always use V-Power, i think its worth the extra cost....just.

Great figures! Sometimes wish I'd bought an older diesel just for the excellent economy!

yeah considering its 7yrs old and done 110k im surprised its still returning great MPG (and i wouldnt consider myself a slow driver). One of the main reasons i bought the car in the first place was because of the 6th gear...which helps massively in terms of MPG.

It was the only 2nd hand car i could afford at the time that had a top spec trim level, was 2.0tdci engine, had under 81k on the clock and was less than 3.5k

We've owned our 55 plate 1.6 (100) petrol for 2 weeks now.

We do short runs (10-15 miles) on A and B roads to and from work at rush hour times. I do 2 motorway runs a week of about 15 miles and the average is around 33MPG.

We went to Blackpool on Saturday, motorway pretty much all the way. We got 42 MPG on the way there and 40MPG on the way back, pretty good i think! :D

Keep this thread alive!

Currently done 40 miles since last fillup and computer showing 26.8mpg. Cold weather and short journeys is killing the economy at the moment.

On the plus point, I used the heated windscreen for the first time and was v.impressed!

mine mk2.5 1.8tdci estate does 30mpg average but I'mdoing short trips around town

Next installment and it's bad news, last fill showing a drop to 48.74mpg, average down to 49.01mpg. Have to confess my progressive driving style as been a "bit more progressive".

And the heated front windscreen is a great option.

A fair bit heavy on acceleration, steady cruising always and cruise control 90% of the time!

2007 1.8 Tdci, 55k, I get 38 on my work runs 5 mile each way, a bit hilly and a couple of stop starts, 47 to 50 on a decent A road or motorway. I average between 38 and 44 with my work run and weekend cruising.

Before I start going into a blind panic about my car being broken, would you guys say a drop from 34mpg on average all year down to 30mpg since this cold spell is normal? I haven't for the last couple of days been able to average more than 29mpg but then I've only been driving in less than 5 degree temps (early morning, late at night)