Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Green Cotton Performance Induction Filter Fitting Guide

Lenny

ah i see why that side hole looks better lol Im off to kms this weekend so can look into the rs/st air filter

ah i see why that side hole looks better lol Im off to kms this weekend so can look into the rs/st air filter

Yes lol it even comes with a cap to plug the side induction during heavy rain conditions,

Take some pictures if possible mate,

ok im hoping they will have an rs air filter and maybe the lid, but as it bank holiday he wont have access to parts (shop not open), yeh im takng my sony up anyway for some cheeky shots of the RS :D so ill ask

• Like 1

ok im hoping they will have an rs air filter and maybe the lid, but as it bank holiday he wont have access to parts (shop not open), yeh im takng my sony up anyway for some cheeky shots of the RS :D so ill ask

It seems from reading about the fitment of the K&N57s

The airbox lid we have in the 1.6TDCi is the exact same as the RS version.

But it is the lower section and snorkle on the RS airbox that really interests me,

As you can see in the images below;

The RS airbox has a straight wide feed intake with dual channel piping for the air to circulate around the filter.

This airbox base aswell as a K&N57s lid to certaintly maximise cold induction feed with minimum heat soak.

rs-induction-kit_zpsdf6c3d59.jpg

IMG_20130325_183345_zps31cf93ca.jpg

if the rs filter does fit in the current airbox i don't see why cant drill/punch a hole in the side of the air filter,

how is the dual air feed different to your pic at the bottom of page 4?

edit: are you saying that the grey piping running under the black corregated pipe with jubilee clip supply air into the airbox under the filter? that would be using the short straight piece you can see in the pic above?

• Like 1

if the rs filter does fit in the current airbox i don't see why cant drill/punch a hole in the side of the air filter,

how is the dual air feed different to your pic at the bottom of page 4?

edit: are you saying that the grey piping running under the black corregated pipe with jubilee clip supply air into the airbox under the filter? that would be using the short straight piece you can see in the pic above?

The Rs induction system has a wider front facing opening.

Unlike the snorkle section running across the front of the car on bottom of page 4.

And yes the grey piping running under the black corregated pipe with jubilee clip does supply additional air into the airbox under the filter.

A retro fit may be possible but I think the RS box would have moulded male sleeves that insert to the pipe and secured with jubilee clips.

However an RS slam panel may be required to allow space for the induction inlet to fit through to the grill,

Or a cut out of the existing slam panel.

sounds good, ill see what i can find out and hopefully report back with photos aswell

• Like 1

hi lenny

got some bad news and some news, the bad news is he didnt want me taking any photos due to him making developments on the intake system and didnt want any pictures leaking out,

however on an rs that had the airbox (he hadnt on his) i saw the second hose entering the box just below the orignal intake hole, with regards to the slam panel, it didnt have the curved section that we have in the 1.6, it had the wider opening which fitted into the plastic cover,

from what i gather i think the airflow comes in at the upper grille under the plastic cover and directly into either port, (it also had the hole on the side however the filter he used (i think was k&n could of been mountune) had a closed core

hope this is some help,

it was basically like this, if you remove the parts in red, then the dual airbox lid would finish at the blue line

Untitled-1-1_zps07dd6cd4.jpg

• Like 1

hi lenny

got some bad news and some news, the bad news is he didnt want me taking any photos due to him making developments on the intake system and didnt want any pictures leaking out,

however on an rs that had the airbox (he hadnt on his) i saw the second hose entering the box just below the orignal intake hole, with regards to the slam panel, it didnt have the curved section that we have in the 1.6, it had the wider opening which fitted into the plastic cover,

from what i gather i think the airflow comes in at the upper grille under the plastic cover and directly into either port, (it also had the hole on the side however the filter he used (i think was k&n could of been mountune) had a closed core

hope this is some help,

it was basically like this, if you remove the parts in red, then the dual airbox lid would finish at the blue line

Untitled-1-1_zps07dd6cd4.jpg

Hi Vince,

Thanks for doing the research and posting up the findings mate,

I really appreciate your input,

So it seems we would require the lower induction box section of the RS focus induction which should include the short snorkle and side pipe,(Samco manufacture a replacement hose for the side induction pipe in various colours)

We may

Also require a Slam panel from an RS focus but could try the fitment of the RS box first.

And ideally this would be paired with a K&N 57s induction box lid with XL filter allowing maximum induction while keeping it blue oval aswell as minimising heat soak from the engine,

I'm sure the results would be smoother gear change quicker turbo spool

Increased exhaust noise, louder turbo wistle,

Perhaps even lower emissions due to increased air-fuel mixture in combustion.

When I've finished the wheels and lowering; I'll go on the search for a focus RS lower section induction box,

We will then find out if an RS slam panel to fit.

I'll then try and save up to purchase a K&N57s and see how she goes!

For me it could be november before complete as I'm taking a modification holiday in june until october.

(I've spent enough on mods between January-June)

hi lenny no problems m8, with regards to the slam panel i don't think there's any difference between the rs and standard 1.6,

i wonder if there is a cut out in the lower part of the airbox for the secondary induction hole, just like the hole on the side of the air filter cover?

out of interest does that k&n kit come with a filter or just the cover?

edit, dont know if you know this but he suggested if you remove the airbox, remove the lid and filter then pull the back up first then the front, as it fits onto rubber mounts.

• Like 1

hi lenny no problems m8, with regards to the slam panel i don't think there's any difference between the rs and standard 1.6,

i wonder if there is a cut out in the lower part of the airbox for the secondary induction hole, just like the hole on the side of the air filter cover?

out of interest does that k&n kit come with a filter or just the cover?

edit, dont know if you know this but he suggested if you remove the airbox, remove the lid and filter then pull the back up first then the front, as it fits onto rubber mounts.

The K&N57s kit comes with an oversized filter to fit inside the new over sized filter housing as result of the bigger lid.

The corresponding hole on the base of the RS induction box is at the lower rear side of the box;

Blowing air in to the rear of the induction housing.

While the rest of the scoop snorkle feeds the front face of the filter,

Much like this Carbon induction.

KGrHqFl8E7DQlB2IBPEMWCMSg60_12_zps9b065fKGrHqRHJBQE7zgtuDbBPEMk1YDUQ60_12_zpsd8e

ahh now that is different to the box i saw yesterday, heres a website with some more pictures of a standard system,

http://www.part-box.com/product_info.php?products_id=31593

this is the kit i saw yesterday fitted to an rs

http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=9948.0

guys,

i think its probably better just to add some extra holes for breathing and another cold air feed. if you look at cost v bhp gained its not worth it at all

i would also remove the pipe going across the slam panel for a more direct feed and have a feed from the main lower grill.

yeh that probably the best bet, i think with the a hole at the side of the box and the k&n lid and the extra pipe on the slam panel removed will be what im aiming for.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have been debating whether to get a K&N filter for a while, and after reading this decided to just bite the bullet and do it. Bought a 57S-4000 with new airbox lid (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/57S-4000-K-N-PERFORMANCE-INTAKE-KIT-FORD-VOLVO-VARIOUS-2007-2013-/281067319470?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4170eaf0ae) and fitted it this morning.

Haven't really tested it properly yet, but have driven up and down the road a full times and so far the throttle is certainly more responsive, and it makes a very loud whooshing noise on acceleration which I can't tell if it's cool or annoying yet haha.

• Like 1

That the item im looking to buy as well, out of interest did you fit the disc shape pieceon the side?

• Like 1

Have been debating whether to get a K&N filter for a while, and after reading this decided to just bite the bullet and do it. Bought a 57S-4000 with new airbox lid (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/57S-4000-K-N-PERFORMANCE-INTAKE-KIT-FORD-VOLVO-VARIOUS-2007-2013-/281067319470?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4170eaf0ae) and fitted it this morning.

Haven't really tested it properly yet, but have driven up and down the road a full times and so far the throttle is certainly more responsive, and it makes a very loud whooshing noise on acceleration which I can't tell if it's cool or annoying yet haha.

Sweet,

Any chance of a video via photobucket or youtube,

I think I'll go for the 57s kit too.

Id also like to find out the dimensions of the replacement induction hose that is supplied with the J1 induction kit,

Its smooth flow inlet pipe mixed with a K&N57S would be as good as it gets for the 1.6TDCi

I've just fitted an EGR blanking plate, helps reduce turbo lag too.

Here is the guide:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/42915-guide-fitting-egr-blanking-plate-16tdci-engine/

that j1 induction kit looks nicer than the k&n kit but i presume you would need the lower half of the air box for the secondary hose unless you drill a hole in there?

i cant find a pic but am i right in sayng that the plastic slam panel is the same in the RS/ST and 1.6? if so then the j1 would simply be direct fit

• Like 1

That the item im looking to buy as well, out of interest did you fit the disc shape pieceon the side?

Na left that off, assume that's whats causing the noise although I'm learning to quite like it now :)

Sweet,

Any chance of a video via photobucket or youtube,

I'll see what I can do Lenny

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Just joined the club:)

IMAG2419.jpg

Can't wait to get it installed..

That's it in:)

IMAG2450.jpg

Not had the chance to test it properly yet but I'v noticed better throttle response as well as a bit of a roar. Would recommend.

Luke

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My 2007 Mk2 has the flat air filter and the air inlet is from below, which looks different from the photos here of the Mk2.5 - would I need to buy a new air box to allow me to fit a conical or cylindrical filter?

Also, seperate question - I have oil seeping at the hose joints between the air box and turbo, and a bit of staining on the filter itself, but not too bad. I've been told that this shouldn't really happen but a small bit of oil like this isn't a problem. What are your thoughts on this? Logically, I would have thought that the air flow from filter towards the turbo shouldn't let this happen, but it clearly is. It has been like this since the first time I openned the bonnet about 80,000 miles ago and I tend to clean it with a rag whenever I do an oil change. I guess I should change the air filter more often than normal to keep up performance and air flow. Should I be worried?

• Like 1

My 2007 Mk2 has the flat air filter and the air inlet is from below, which looks different from the photos here of the Mk2.5 - would I need to buy a new air box to allow me to fit a conical or cylindrical filter?

Hi V,

To answer your question mate,

Yes you would need to change your induction box and possibly the rubber induction feed to fit the new air box that takes the cyndrical style induction filter.

However you can purchase a panel filter from Green Cotton Induction to fit your existing air box,

There's no difference in performance between the panel filter and cylindrical type in fact my new project car runs 160bhp from the factory and its fitted with a panel filter induction box. What I'm trying to say is; the panel filter style induction box's don't harness loss in power compared to the cylindrical type so I personally wouldnt bother changing it.

Also, I have oil seeping at the hose joints between the air box and turbo, and a bit of staining on the filter itself, but not too bad. I've been told that this shouldn't really happen but a small bit of oil like this isn't a problem. What are your thoughts on this? Logically, I would have thought that the air flow from filter towards the turbo shouldn't let this happen, but it clearly is. It has been like this since the first time I openned the bonnet about 80,000 miles ago and I tend to clean it with a rag whenever I do an oil change. I guess I should change the air filter more often than normal to keep up performance and air flow. Should I be worried?

That hose that is between your air box and turbo is called "oil breather pipe"

It basically runs from the crank case to your induction pipe,

Its purpose is to dump excess oil out of the engine and in to your induction where it will be incinerated as part of the combustion.

Now that's how it works but its not ideal to be honest.

Diesel induction systems are designed to suck in clean DRY air only.

And when I say dry; I mean oil free aswell as moisture free,

I recommend you purchase an oil catch tank from eBay,

take the car off the road for 24 hours

Carefully remove the induction system including rubber hose feeding to the turbo,

Consult your local motor factors for some sort of cleanng agen that removes oil but doesnt damage rubber.

WD-40 perhaps but it turs your rubber a smoky white.

Anyways

Clean the whole induction system then store it in the house until its bone dry,

Followed by refitting to your car.

Now ill explain what the oil catch tank does and how to fit,

Th oil catch tank has a two pipes on the top

Inlet pipe

Outlet pipe

It also comes with some hose,

The hose coming from the engine goes to the inlet port on the catch tank,

Then the outlet connects to the existing hose on your induction hose.

The induction system will then remain clean because any oil from the crank case will drop in to he oil catch tank instead of contmnating your induction system casing harm to your turbo and eventually leading to turbo failure if not treated.

You may wish to consult your motorfactors for a diesel turb cleaner,

Generally an aerosol spray,

It will clean the fins on the induction turbine this will also help your engnes throttle response because it will suck better after the oil has been cleaned.

Finally then,

To complete the clensing,

I recommend you purchase a can of wynne's engine flush fr diesel engines.

It costs less than 8euro a can in Halfords,

It helps break down the carbon lumps inside your engine oil,

Put it in 20 minutes before drainng the oil,

It will clean the turbo oil feed vain helping to prolong its life aswell.

Thanks for reading and im glad you got in touch to address these issues mate,

Its early days so we can treat the small issue before it grows to somthing more serious.

Also see my guide on EGR blanking the 1.6TDCi that will also prolong your turbo's life

See here: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/42915-guide-fitting-egr-blanking-plate-16tdci-engine/

Thanks Lenny for a very comprehensive reply. I'll look into all this as soon as time allows. I have read somewhere that the dpf and/or egr can lead to dumping unburnt diesel into the oil sump, or something like that. I'll do as you suggest to clean up the hoses and induction system, and see if it is still happening. I have bought some stp engine flush ready for the next oil change - I guess this does the same as the Wynns you mention? And thanks as well for the egr blanking guide - its after reading it that I decided to go ahead and do this job.

• Like 1