Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Green Cotton Performance Induction Filter Fitting Guide

Lenny

Don't forget to treat your old cotton filter and then you can resell it like new Lenny. Maybe you putting a whole in the air filter box impacted its life quicker too. I have to say since fitting mine a week or two after a bit of dust has built up its performing better than ever and sounds better too. You can really hear it woosh

• Like 1

I have it packaged up as is if anyone wants it for the price of shipping,

Its never been cleaned because i cant find anywhere in Ireland that supplies the induction filter cleaning kits, and aviation regulations wont ship a cleaning kit from the UK,

IMG_20150802_154345_zpsnayyxx8x.jpg

Maybe you putting a whole in the air filter box impacted its life quicker too.

IMG_20150802_154320_zpspqgbunmj.jpg

I agree,

Drilling the holes in the front of the stock airbox lid; did allow more contamination to enter speeding up the dirt level of the filter,

Although it did increase induction noise it didn't do much noticable difference in performance having done it.

Im gonna clean it up, stick a K&N +5bhp sticker on it and list on eBay,

IMG_20150802_170449_zpsm84nxcgv.jpg

IMG_20150802_170501_zpsbbegfakw.jpg

IMG_20150802_170510_zpsvaztuecb.jpg

Looks Good :)

I have to say since fitting mine a week or two after a bit of dust has built up its performing better than ever and sounds better too. You can really hear it woosh

That would be your MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow) adjusting to the increased flow from the newly fitted filter mate,

After upgrading induction filter, people disconnect battery for 10 minutes to reset the ECU,

This causes the MAF sensor to adjust immediately however the MAF sensor will self adjust in a couple of weeks without disconnecting battery as you have now found.

I personally don't recommend disconnecting the battery to people because it leads in to a whole different discussion regarding the security code for the stereo headunit etc.

Glad your happy with the filter upgrade mate,

Other mods you may consider on your 1.6 petrol are:

NGK iridium Spark Plugs,

oil Catch Tank,

Silicone Induction hose replacement,

Engine bay earth kit.

• Like 2

take it you will be colour coding the k@n in the future lenny find it hard to believe you could not buy cleaning kit for the green cotton filter and have it posted over by road

paul

• Like 1

take it you will be colour coding the k&n in the future lenny find it hard to believe you could not buy cleaning kit for the green cotton filter and have it posted over by road

paul

I think ill leave it black mate,

If i did have it colour coded id be spraying the K&N logo black again, would leave much silver,

I cant spray paint to save my life neither so would mean leaving it with body shop,

Probably could purchase a cleaning kit via ParcelMotel in Antrim but to be honest i didnt try too hard to import a cleaning kit,

The guys at Pri-Racing whom sent me the Green Cotton Performance filter tried to include a cleaning kit along with the filter,

But airport customs sent it back to Pri-Racing refusing to ship it with can inside,

So i just recieved the filter and i didnt try purchasing elsewhere,

Halfords sell the K&N cleaning kits but i havent priced them,

I just went for the 57s kit.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have it packaged up as is if anyone wants it for the price of shipping,

Its never been cleaned because i cant find anywhere in Ireland that supplies the induction filter cleaning kits, and aviation regulations wont ship a cleaning kit from the UK,

IMG_20150802_154345_zpsnayyxx8x.jpg

IMG_20150802_154320_zpspqgbunmj.jpg

I agree,

Drilling the holes in the front of the stock airbox lid; did allow more contamination to enter speeding up the dirt level of the filter,

Although it did increase induction noise it didn't do much noticable difference in performance having done it.

Im gonna clean it up, stick a K&N +5bhp sticker on it and list on eBay,

IMG_20150802_170449_zpsm84nxcgv.jpg

IMG_20150802_170501_zpsbbegfakw.jpg

IMG_20150802_170510_zpsvaztuecb.jpg

Looks Good :)

That would be your MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow) adjusting to the increased flow from the newly fitted filter mate,

After upgrading induction filter, people disconnect battery for 10 minutes to reset the ECU,

This causes the MAF sensor to adjust immediately however the MAF sensor will self adjust in a couple of weeks without disconnecting battery as you have now found.

I personally don't recommend disconnecting the battery to people because it leads in to a whole different discussion regarding the security code for the stereo headunit etc.

Glad your happy with the filter upgrade mate,

Other mods you may consider on your 1.6 petrol are:

NGK Iridium Spark Plugs,

Oil Catch Tank,

Silicone Induction hose replacement,

Engine bay earth kit.

If you've still got the green cotton filter Lenny I'll take it off your hands? Pm me your PayPal address and I'll send you what you want for it

If you've still got the green cotton filter Lenny I'll take it off your hands? Pm me your PayPal address and I'll send you what you want for it

very sorry to say;

I got itchy with a few match sticks a couple of weeks ago and well it's gone like woof

• Like 2

up in puff of smoke :D but what a glorious way to go

Sent it up to Paul Walker in the Skyline

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My Green filter which i ordered off the back of this thread arrived today. Couldn't fit it as it was raining so much earlier. Itching to fit it tomorrow and see if there's any difference. Already looks the part though.

• Like 1

Hi lenny, the recommended k&n drop in filter for my 2007 focus tdci 2.0 is e-2993, if i order a 57s perfomance air box, will it have a drop in filter that compatible with my focus?

• 8 months later...

Hi Lenny can you please guide me ?? i want this sound and I cannot find the induction kit he have for my mk6 tdci check out video what do I need to buy to get that noise 

8 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

Hi Lenny can you please guide me ?? i want this sound and I cannot find the induction kit he have for my mk6 tdci check out video what do I need to buy to get that noise

Hi,

Sounds like it's using an open induction system which doesn't use the factory box, 

this type of kit tends to be model specific and as result quite expensive but here's a link to 1.6TDCi upgrades including hybrid turbos 

http://www.nbstyling.co.uk/store/?pCat=16 

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

Hi,

Sounds like it's using an open induction system which doesn't use the factory box, 

this type of kit tends to be model specific and as result quite expensive but here's a link to 1.6TDCi upgrades including hybrid turbos 

http://www.nbstyling.co.uk/store/?pCat=16 

I see that he put the title ramair induction kit they not expensive around £50 but they dont have it for mk6 Guy from eBay that sells them said I would need to get universal one to measure the pipe pr something

• 5 months later...

hi sorry to bring an old post up but upon reading this is the pri racing site working as i cant seem to open the page

http://www.priracing.com/section.php/144/1/ford?utm_source=FordOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_campaign=referrals

10 hours ago, AlexBartlam said:

hi sorry to bring an old post up but upon reading this is the pri racing site working as i cant seem to open the page

Hi,

Ive tried the original link and it's working fine, alternatively try this link http://www.priracing.com/search.php?xSearch=ford+green

yes thanks it worked but they dont have one on there website for my model of fiesta what a bummer thanks anyway, ill have to get one direct from green cotton as they have it, no discount tho. :sad:

• 1 month later...

Being honest, I haven't read all of the comments, but is there a way/does it make sense to modify from my standard panel filter on the MK2 TDCI 1.6 to a cylindrical performance filter? 

Thanks, Sam

3 hours ago, Sack13 said:

Being honest, I haven't read all of the comments, but is there a way/does it make sense to modify from my standard panel filter on the MK2 TDCI 1.6 to a cylindrical performance filter? 

Thanks, Sam

The cylindrical filter in the mk2.5 1.6TDCi is the same as the Focus RS filter housing; being a cylinder it does have a larger surface area in comparison to the panel it's almost double the surface area allowing for a smoother flow.

if changing though; id fit a K&N57s kit to the cylindrical housing for maximum performance and you would definitely see a difference.

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

The cylindrical filter in the mk2.5 1.6TDCi is the same as the Focus RS filter housing; being a cylinder it does have a larger surface area in comparison to the panel it's almost double the surface area allowing for a smoother flow.

if changing though; id fit a K&N57s kit to the cylindrical housing for maximum performance and you would definitely see a difference.

Which K&N57s product would actually fit my engine? Sorry if that's a stupid question! 

1 hour ago, Sack13 said:

Which K&N57s product would actually fit my engine? Sorry if that's a stupid question! 

None of them with the panel filter at present time mate, but if you were to fit the cylinder induction housing from a mk2.5 1.6TDCI then you can fit the K&N57s kit that's available for the mk2.5 RS and the new mk3 focus ST

IMG_20150801_085253_zpscorm3so0_edit_143

IMG_20150801_085046_zpsk7aamfew_edit_143

SciFiFantasyHorse_PowerhorsepowerjpgrZd3

IMG_20150801_110126_zpsnuppojdq_edit_143

IMG_20150801_112016_zpsyyjkiwp5.jpg

IMG_20150801_110753_zpswxpkq4ym.jpg

IMG_20150801_112122_zpsxd2t7fjw.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lenny said:

None of them with the panel filter at present time mate, but if you were to fit the cylinder induction housing from a mk2.5 1.6TDCI then you can fit the K&N57s kit that's available for the mk2.5 RS and the new mk3 focus ST

IMG_20150801_085253_zpscorm3so0_edit_143

IMG_20150801_085046_zpsk7aamfew_edit_143

SciFiFantasyHorse_PowerhorsepowerjpgrZd3

IMG_20150801_110126_zpsnuppojdq_edit_143

IMG_20150801_112016_zpsyyjkiwp5.jpg

IMG_20150801_110753_zpswxpkq4ym.jpg

IMG_20150801_112122_zpsxd2t7fjw.jpg

Brilliant thanks Lenny, you're a don! Do you know if the cylinder connects to the existing MAF piping or if I would need to do some jiggery-pokery? Thanks again, I know I'm a pest haha!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sack13 said:

Brilliant thanks Lenny, you're a don! Do you know if the cylinder connects to the existing MAF piping or if I would need to do some jiggery-pokery? Thanks again, I know I'm a pest haha!

😁pain in the Sack13

I'm not sure mate as it's not something I've done myself; however if you were to purchase the bass of the cylindrical filter housing you will be a bit further on and can try for size.

maybe get one from a breakers on eBay very cheap as it's not a very sought after part.

• Like 1

Towards the end of Febuary I will be selling the Genuine K&N57s-4000 induction system as featured in this guide.

The optional Bung for the top end of the filter has gone missing but I believe a replacement comes along with a replacement filter.

So the selling items are; the larger Filter housing lid and the larger Filter.

the filter is in need of a clean using a K&N filter cleaning kit; however I can't purchase this in any shop in Ireland and the UK suppliers can't ship it to me without special conditions because it contains a pressurized container.

So my option of cleaning the filter is non existent in this country; my second option is to purchase a replacement E-9289 K&N filter but they cost 70GBP and I'm not looking to spend that sort of money on my Focus anymore my interests are now on improving the house.

Third option was to replace the K&N with a Green Cotton induction filter; but it won't fit the larger K&N induction filter housing 😣 ive already sold the standard air box lid.

So my final option is to sell the K&N57s-4000 kit second hand for 60GBP including tracked shipping then use this money to ship the item aswell as purchase a standard ford focus induction lid and a replacement Green Cotton induction filter.

The Genuine 18" facelift ST alloys are also coming off in the coming months when the tyres are finished as im not willing to spend 120GBP per tyre replacing them every 10-12 months, 

I won't be selling them; just taking off the tyres and keeping them in the attic because the market is flooded with replicas which has brought the resale value of these rims down to nothing and I bought them from local ford dealership for 375euro each. 

I'm searching local selling sites for a set of 16" ford alloys and I'll be fitting them when the 18" run out should get better fuel economy with a reduction in handling which is a factor I really need to make note of prior to chucking it in to the corners again because the 16" won't have the 8" wide stability to keep it on the road 😦😅

my interests are now on home improvement so the focus needs to run as cheaply and efficiently as possible which results in a reduction of performance and handling but that's just how it is.

anyway if anyone is interested in the K&N57s kit second hand for 60GBP via paypal including tracked shipping let me know leonard.woods@live.ie 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/1/2012 at 5:00 PM, Lenny said:

Here are some images of the stock induction filter removed from the induction box, it is heavier than the replacment and it manufactured with a paper style material that becomes very soft and britle when wet or damp,

wet or damp conditions can occour in the induction box in both winter and summer being caused by the heat of the engine creating condensation in the air box,

thankfully the material used in the Green filter is cotton a much better material for this type of filter and alot more breathable in both damp and dry conditions.

Image2381.jpg

as you can see more clearly in the image below,

the stock filter was bent when installed and i assume by my local ford dealership last march when it was booked in for a full service, thankfully by fitting the Green filter in the induction box,

ford wont have any reason to touch the replacment filter any time soon because its good for 80,000 miles,

when that distance has been clocked

Priracing also stock & supply cleaning kits for the induction filters to renew the life for a further 80,000 miles.

Image2387.jpg

as you can see in the image below,

the inside area of the stock filter is very small and the 117 pleates seem to be crammed togeather very tightly,

to be honest i wouldnt consider the stock induction filter to be sufficent enough to breath through air for myself never mind the engine and a human body wouldnt vacum as much air in as a car.

i really didnt expect it to be so restricted,

Image2382.jpg

Since i had the filter removed i decided to take the oppertunity to clean out the induction filter housing,

and i spotted what i assumed to be a stone in the base of the air box, i couldnt reach in to pick it out with my hands so i had to fetch a tweasers from the tool box.

Image2379.jpg

To my surprise

it wasnt a stone at all :o

as you can see in the image below, it was a Snail :D i know diesel engines are said to be slugish but i didnt ever expect to find a Snail stuck inside the air box, it would be fantasy to assume that he got sucked off the road in to the induction box, :lol: but i can only assume that he went in their when the car was in it's 6 month storage period earlier in the year. perhaps he thought he found a mate with the Garret GT1544v Turbo situated to the left of the induction filter housing.

Image2380.jpg

I used to Matt finish Armor All dashboard wipes and a hoover to clean out the inside of the induction filter housing, then closed the bonnet for 15 minutes allowing the area time to dry before fitting the new free flowing Green Cotton Performance Induction filter.

Image2390.jpg

I decided to meassure the differences between the filters to observe if their was any.

i found that had ford not buckled the stock filter installing it in to the induction housing the it would be the same height as the Green Cotton Performance Filter at just under 8'' Inches.

Image2386.jpg

The filters differ in width/diameter though,

the stock filter is 6'' inches in width/diameter and the new Green Performance Filter is 5.5'' in width/diameter

this will allow more air circulation around the filter inside the airbox, aswell as more base clearance in the unfortunite event of any water engress due to flooding, the Green Cotton filter is positioned .5'' higher in the induction housing aswell as being constructed of Cotton it wont store much moisture compared to the stock paper style filter that could potentially store up to 3 times its size in moisture.

Image2385.jpg

Image2383.jpg

Image2384.jpg

What size filter fits can't see propply lenny 

16 hours ago, zetec Adam said:

What size filter fits can't see propply lenny 

ive since fitted a K&N57s which is bigger than stock so im afraid i cant help you with meassurements, 

They used to be listed model specific; If you meassure your existing fiter that is on the car; then log on to there website and find the matching size yourself; this would eliminate any risk of responsibility being put upon me for you possibly purchasing the wrong size. 

• Like 1