Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Wont Turn Over But All Interior Electrics Work

hungledink

I have a 2000 ford focus 1.8 zetec with 89000 miles.

As I was driving home earlier, my car died on me. It was as though I had turn the car off without having done so. When I try and start it up, the dashboard lights work and the engine symbol is illuminated and the mileometer shows -- -- -- instead of the mileage. The engine itslef does nothing.

I have been advised by the recovery service who towed me home that it is an issue with my starter motor, possibly not being earthed correctly. He deduced this by activating the starter motor but noticing it didnt start the car.

Does this sound accurate? A freind of mine said it sounds more like an alternator issue.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

I would guess it more likely to be an alternator problem, can you start the car by jump starting?

The Greenflag guy had some contraption which he attached to the battery, guessing he was trying to jump start. Didnt work.

Unusual for the car to die on you because starter faulty, unless it was running consistently to drain the battery, have you/ can you check the voltage of the battery?

has ur fan belt snapped, draining ur car of juice hence why you broke down with no power??? this happened to a work mate the other week in his subaru, car just died, fan belt snapped....

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone.

All the electrics work ins the car, lights, radio, power windows etc. Haven't got a way of testing the battery but sure thats the first thing the Greenflag guy tested, and he said battery was fine. Would the internal electrics as described work if the battery was faulty?

Regarding the fan belt, didnt check that but would the engine at least turn over if the fan belt had broke? Engine dooes nothing currently.

Would the internal electrics as described work if the battery was faulty?

Yes they would work, but be dim depending of current charge.... try having a booster pack on your battery and going from there.... Listen for clicks of the starter (if there is any) this means that battery has lack of power to crank it over......

If no success then have a look at the starter motor/earthing as this wont work unless there is more than 10-11 volts going through it.

So ive just heard from the garage who have no idea whats wrong with it. They say its some weird electrical issue because some of the electrics work while others dont. Apparently headlights and electric windows dont work but the side lights and dashboard does. They have tested all the fuses but they seem fine.

Any other ideas what this could be?

Have they checked for earthing faults?

That can throw up random electrical gremlins.

The greenflag guy said that aswell, said the starter motor earthing wires might need replacing, or something along them lines. Will mention that to the garage tomorrow if they draw a blank.

Turns out you were right, out the battery was loose and the earthing wires had broke. £155 to repair it. Daylight robbery. angry.gif How the first garage never spotted it I will never know. :unsure:

Thanks everyone.

Not cheap but at least problem solved, maybe i should open my own garage seeing as the one you went to initially didn't check something as basic as that.

Glad to be of service. :D

• 5 years later...
On 02/10/2012 at 8:08 PM, hungledink said:

I have a 2000 ford focus 1.8 zetec with 89000 miles.

As I was driving home earlier, my car died on me. It was as though I had turn the car off without having done so. When I try and start it up, the dashboard lights work and the engine symbol is illuminated and the mileometer shows -- -- -- instead of the mileage. The engine itslef does nothing.

I have been advised by the recovery service who towed me home that it is an issue with my starter motor, possibly not being earthed correctly. He deduced this by activating the starter motor but noticing it didnt start the car.

Does this sound accurate? A freind of mine said it sounds more like an alternator issue.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

I saw your issue and I have just had the same issue my battery warning light has just come on 2 days ago. I've not long had my car but it's old and has done the mileage. I took it to a friends when the battery warning light came in he showed me how to check it 'such a simple trick ' to find out if it's your alternator gone/going,if  that's not allowing car the start then -

-open the bonnet. Remember some fords require key to open bonnet.

-Then use a 10mm socket to undo your earth cable to battery and if it does die. But if it does its telling you your alternator won't allow charging of battery. Which can lead to allot of issues in the future. Big expensive ones like engine failure. And even blown batteries and new belts.

-you can get a replacement from A1autoparts which is American website but if in UK you can get new parts from dealerships and then get a local garage to replace.

- shouldn't cost you more then 80-150£ with VAT then local garage costs shouldn't be no more then 50£ Max and she should also check your belts when he does which is brilliant and helpful as this will also reduce belt snapping and engine failure if they break so kinda a extra MOT check.

Hope this helps 

Let me know if any other issues as my friend builds custom cars from scratch to kit cars so I'll ask for advice if anything is needed.

Edited by alexp999
removed unnecessary image

11 hours ago, Ford focus rmy53 said:

I saw your issue and I have just had the same issue my battery warning light has just come on 2 days ago. I've not long had my car but it's old and has done the mileage. I took it to a friends when the battery warning light came in he showed me how to check it 'such a simple trick ' to find out if it's your alternator gone/going,if  that's not allowing car the start then -

-open the bonnet. Remember some fords require key to open bonnet.

-Then use a 10mm socket to undo your earth cable to battery and if it does die. But if it does its telling you your alternator won't allow charging of battery. Which can lead to allot of issues in the future. Big expensive ones like engine failure. And even blown batteries and new belts.

-you can get a replacement from A1autoparts which is American website but if in UK you can get new parts from dealerships and then get a local garage to replace.

- shouldn't cost you more then 80-150£ with VAT then local garage costs shouldn't be no more then 50£ Max and she should also check your belts when he does which is brilliant and helpful as this will also reduce belt snapping and engine failure if they break so kinda a extra MOT check.

Hope this helps 

Let me know if any other issues as my friend builds custom cars from scratch to kit cars so I'll ask for advice if anything is needed.

Holy old post batman! This post is over 5 years old!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The NecroPoster strikes again!!!

Mwahahahahaaaaaaa!!!

• Haha 1