Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Sync - Radio Change

MikeLondon

Hello all...

Does anyone know if Sync is associated with the Radio? or whether it is separate? I'm looking to change my radio from a Standard Ford (62 plate) headunit to another (slightly older 12 plate) Sony radio... and I was wondering whether this would mean i'd lose elements of the Sync?

Cheers,

Michael

I didn't think Sync was available in the Focus yet? I was under the impression it was making it's UK debut in the reshaped Fiesta...

The ford sync is not available in the UK until its debut on the electric focus next year

If you mean Bluetooth/hands free, then this is normally separate to the head unit so will remain if you change the head unit, as long as the new one has the bluetooth function

Hmmm... interesting.

What's the big difference with Sync then?

I know the new ST has it, doesn't it? and when I picked up my Zetec-S at the weekend, I got a leaflet telling me what Sync bits I could use with my car... Only thing I haven't got working yet is the text messaging... (but I thought that was because I hadn't installed iOS6 yet?)

Okay so after doing a bit more reading it seems sync was delayed, was meant to come out summer 2012 but has been delayed until spring 2013. Sync is the 8" touch screen system, which replaces the current 'voice control' system. Basically means u can tell the car what to do (radio, air con, phone, sat nav, search for Points of Interest etc...) has been available in the states for nearly 10 years!!!!

No it's not available on the ST yet, as I asked when I went to look at one last month :(

I've just configered an ST-3 on the Ford website and there's currently no option of Sync (but the website may not be completely up-to-date). If you have the standard Ford stereo and you upgrade to the Sony, you won't lose any of the phone functionality because, as said above, I believe the bluetooth module is the same. It's been done by several people in the Fiesta section with no issues, so might be worth looking here .

• 4 months later...

My new Titanium has Sync options in the Sony menus, build date was 22/11/2012. Certainly doesn't have an 8" touch screen.

My new Titanium has Sync options in the Sony menus, build date was 22/11/2012. Certainly doesn't have an 8" touch screen.

The 8" MFT , (MyFordTouch) screen won't be here for a while , they are learning from thier mistakes they have in the States , lots of problems , where as the SYNC is a Module addition , and is very limited compared to the US version. I Doubt you could just plug and play a SYNC module without a Stereo firmware update at the very least , i know my Stereo has an extra socket on the rear of it i think about 10 pin.