Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faulty suspension springs

dusmike

My '05 Fusion's front offside suspension spring broke suddenly on Sunday. The car has only done 32,000 and has been on the road for three and a half years. We were travelling at less than 30mph (luckily) but still the anti-roll bar was also damaged. The AA man was surprised, saying it is an unusual fault on a car of it's age. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with this, as the dealer says it is just down to 'fair wear and tear', whereas we suspect manufacturing issues?

My '05 Fusion's front offside suspension spring broke suddenly on Sunday. The car has only done 32,000 and has been on the road for three and a half years. We were travelling at less than 30mph (luckily) but still the anti-roll bar was also damaged. The AA man was surprised, saying it is an unusual fault on a car of it's age. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with this, as the dealer says it is just down to 'fair wear and tear', whereas we suspect manufacturing issues?

with the condition of our roads, broken springs are an increasingly common occurance im afraid. its probably been down to wear and tear really, springs dont seem to last long these days.

Sometimes bits of gravel can end up getting into the "cup" the spring sits in, then u hit a bump in the road causing the spring to move slightly, ends up on the aforementioned bit of grit and "crack"! It's like sitting a tile on a matchstick and pressing either side of it. There has also been a spate of Fiesta springs going the same way.

Sometimes bits of gravel can end up getting into the "cup" the spring sits in, then u hit a bump in the road causing the spring to move slightly, ends up on the aforementioned bit of grit and "crack"! It's like sitting a tile on a matchstick and pressing either side of it. There has also been a spate of Fiesta springs going the same way.

That is a possibility I suppose, the break was completely fresh metal - unlike the rusted through spring the main dealer garage produced when we asked for it to get an independent test performed (they 'couldn't find it' when we collected the car but the next day they had 'found it' and then they admitted they had taken it from a different section of the garage, although they insisted ours was in the same condition!)

Hi,

If you go back to around summer time on the Fusion section on this site there are pages and pages and pages were people have had the same problems with their Fushions with the year 2005. You might find it useful to have a look at what people had said, there was lots of talk of trading standards and watchdog etc and lots of lengthy arguments with Ford if memory serves correctly.

H

Hi,

If you go back to around summer time on the Fusion section on this site there are pages and pages and pages were people have had the same problems with their Fushions with the year 2005. You might find it useful to have a look at what people had said, there was lots of talk of trading standards and watchdog etc and lots of lengthy arguments with Ford if memory serves correctly.

H

Thanks hotashel

That has made interesting reading and will be added to the complaint I have against Ford and the local main dealer.

If u can get a hold of the spring take it to an engineering company. Talk nice to them and see if they'll do a hardness test. The only argument u have is they may have not been hardened and tempered properly and u will only find out if u can get a hardness test done. Had u been near Edinburgh I could have had our inspection department do one for you and print out the results. Our foreman won a case against vauxhall for a new camshaft that was knackered cause it wasn't hardened properly causing it to wear prematurely!