Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Mk2 Wont Rev Over 4,000Rpm

LilLew

Hi

All i have just got hold of a S reg mk2 mondeo 2.0 ghia and there seems to be a problem with it reving over 4,000rpm when you put your foot down it rev fine up too 4,000 and then starts bogging down and trying to cut out but if you lift off and it runs fine

there is no eml onand idles fine cold & hot

Thing that have been tryed so far

New items

coil pack

spark plugs

im thinking possible cat breaking down

please can anyone advise

A few things to check-

Fuel pump relay, on some cars the pumps have two levels- low rev and high rev ranges, the high level relay may not be functioning correctly.

Mass air flow sensor, may be dirty or on it's way out.

O2 sensor(s), may be faulty before or after the catalytic converter or the cat may be clogged causing a flow problem and tripping the sensors up.

Cam position sensor, it may be duff and causing the engine to not advance the timing at higher revs therefore causing a retarded spark and loss of power.

These are just semi-informed ideas that may help you to look in the right place.

Do you know when the car wast last serviced? sometimes a change of air and fuel filters will work wonders.

If you need a good garage try Curtis Ball in Rendle Street, they have done my cars for years and have never let me down yet or tried fleecing anyone i know.

Don't use the MOT centre at Laira Bridge, too many horror stories of overcharging and thuggish threats when people challenge their prices.

Of course you are very likely to have a garage you already use and trust, just my personal recommendations.

A few things to check-

Fuel pump relay, on some cars the pumps have two levels- low rev and high rev ranges, the high level relay may not be functioning correctly.

Mass air flow sensor, may be dirty or on it's way out.

O2 sensor(s), may be faulty before or after the catalytic converter or the cat may be clogged causing a flow problem and tripping the sensors up.

Cam position sensor, it may be duff and causing the engine to not advance the timing at higher revs therefore causing a retarded spark and loss of power.

These are just semi-informed ideas that may help you to look in the right place.

Do you know when the car wast last serviced? sometimes a change of air and fuel filters will work wonders.

If you need a good garage try Curtis Ball in Rendle Street, they have done my cars for years and have never let me down yet or tried fleecing anyone i know.

Don't use the MOT centre at Laira Bridge, too many horror stories of overcharging and thuggish threats when people challenge their prices.

Of course you are very likely to have a garage you already use and trust, just my personal recommendations.

yes i was thinking the same thiings and tbh i dont have a clue i always service my own cars when i get them regardsless

and the garage i use is myself lol i do all of my own work unless it is a mot test then i use richmond tyres and exhaust on richmond walk

Fair one mate.

I hope that I've given you some possibles to go on with though.

Thank you for all of your help i have now solved it and the car runs lovely

i did the maf checks dis connected it but to no change

i then seen that a pipe from the map sensor had came off so i reconnected it and then started up and it blew off again if you follow the pipes back they lead to the exhaust manifold

so i put the car on the ramps and checked the cat gave it a few taps with my fist and it rattled

surely i change the cat and downpipe (all in one part)

and now the car works i will be writing a guide on how to check this on mk1 & mk2 mondeos oe any ford with the zetec-e engine silver aand black top

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club