Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shell V Power Test

NorthSussex

I have just done a comparison over the last 4 weeks using first, 2 full tanks of Supermarket petrol, then 2 full tanks of Shell V Power petrol, in a 2009 1.8 litre petrol Focus Estate, driving over the same routes, with the same loads and in similar weather conditions, only driving on A&B roads, no Motorways.

Not particularly scientific test, but a real world test.

Supermarket petrol @ £1.40 per Litre giving 36.7 Mpg = £0.17.3 p per mile.

Shell V Power petrol @ £1.48 per Litre giving 38.9 Mpg = £0.17.41 p per mile.

A 6% increase in cost and a 6% increase in MPG using V Power, and very similar costs per mile for both fuels.

I could not detect any difference in performance between the 2 fuels, but I do have a very light foot.

My conclusion is; it’s only worth using the more expensive fuel if you can get it for less than a 6% premium or you believe the marketing hype saying it’s better for your engine.

There may be different results with a diesel engine and Diesel Power.

Has anybody done a similar test and obtained different results?

Good test , I'm a supermarket petrol fan and actively source the cheapest one haha.

I'm Currently driving to Venezuela

THE TOP TEN CHEAPEST PLACES TO BUY PETROL:

1. Venezuela

Price per litre: 8p

2. Egypt

Price per litre: 9p

3. Saudi Arabia

Price per litre: 10p

4. Qatar

Price per litre: 12p

5. Bahrain

Price per litre: 15p

6. Libya

Price per litre: 15p

7. Turkmenistan

Price per litre: 17p

8. Kuwait

9. Algeria

10. Iran

Price per litre: 21p

I've done 10 tanks of Shell FuelSave diesel followed by 10 tanks of Shell V-Power diesel - difference in cost outweighs any extra mpg unfortunately.

Having found out from my fuel comparison test that you can get a slight increase in MPG by using a more expensive petrol, even if it's not cost effective, it got me wondering. What fuel do car manufactures use when producing there advertised MPG? I hope they are not doing a Lance Armstrong and doping! :unsure:

Having found out from my fuel comparison test that you can get a slight increase in MPG by using a more expensive petrol, even if it's not cost effective, it got me wondering. What fuel do car manufactures use when producing there advertised MPG? I hope they are not doing a Lance Armstrong and doping! :unsure:

Hmm, yes. They should really also be required to produce a pence per miles figure based on a standard datum price.

Hmm, yes. They should really also be required to produce a pence per miles figure based on a standard datum price.

My Top Gear magazine under the new car cost section shows an indicated CPM

Is that a cost per mile just on fuel? also what fuel, expensive or supermarket? -_-

How is it given though? If all they give is a cost per mile, without reference to a specific price, then it's useless info because it depends on the time the test was conducted (fuel costs extremely transient!), the region in which the fuel was bought, which fuel was used.

I'm just saying a cost per mile should be given with respect to an arbitrary standard datum fuel cost for a bunch of different octane ratings - individual owners could then scale it depending on which fuel they intend to use and the current cost in their area.

Haven't used V-Power, but it's sort of related.

Bought the car, used supermarket fuel for two/three months - Then decided to use one of the STP fuel injector cleaners, and filled full tank of BP fuel.

Result; I can feel a massive difference in lower gears, I need to rev nowhere near as much from a standing start, and i'm finding I'm able get into gears four and five quicker.

Eg; Car used to judder/labour at say, 26mph in gear 5 with no acceleration.

Now; I can go down to about 21mph.

In turn, I've gone from 29.9mpg to 35.5mpg - I'm happy

Must've had blocked/dirty injectors!

Haven't used V-Power, but it's sort of related.

Bought the car, used supermarket fuel for two/three months - Then decided to use one of the STP fuel injector cleaners, and filled full tank of BP fuel.

Result; I can feel a massive difference in lower gears, I need to rev nowhere near as much from a standing start, and i'm finding I'm able get into gears four and five quicker.

Eg; Car used to judder/labour at say, 26mph in gear 5 with no acceleration.

Now; I can go down to about 21mph.

In turn, I've gone from 29.9mpg to 35.5mpg - I'm happy

Must've had blocked/dirty injectors!

Yes it sounds like you did have a problem which you have now sorted. When I did my test with Shell V Power the car had only done 16,700 miles, so the engine was clean, I will occasionally run a tank of V Power through it in the hopes that their advertising saying it cleans the engine is true, it doesn't cost any more per mile providing there is 6% or less differential in the price than my local Supermarket petrol, but the Shell garage is not local to me so it will be Supermarket most of the time.

• 3 months later...

What about the likes of Tesco performance fuel for example - my trip computer gives me a much better range whenever i fill up with that - which isnt very often, usually just if i'm in Inverness because Shell is ridiculously expensive up there - i usually use Shell Regular....

How does the trip computer calculate the distance to empty just out of curiosity?

I haven't used premium fuel, but I do use Millers Diesel Power Ecomax. Can't really comment on MPG as my journeys are too varied (drifting between student rental house, parents house and girlfriends grandparents whenever we feel like it!) but it had a definite effect on performance. This tank I forgot to use it, and have noticed it struggles in 4th if i drop below 30mph. Before, it would happily pull in 4th from 20, but now, until about 28ish mph it wants 3rd. I will do a better, more conclusive test soon :).

you might call me mad but i have filled my forfour and my mums focus with Shell v-power since day one, with the odd occasion where i have filled with 'normal' petrol. cant say about my mums focus but i do feel a difference in my forfour.

my forfour is a 1.1 petrol with VVT. now if i fill with normal petrol, a 'step' can be felt when setting off quickly in 1st where the VVT kick in but with v-power the step isn't noticeable.

i have a Shell v-power drivers card where i get double points when i fill with v-power and my dad has calculated that it is worth the extra in costs for the small increase in MPG as i get money of vouchers for fuel, the most iv had is £8.50 of fuel voucher which does help when paying for it