Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interior Light

Big_dom91

Hello guys new to this and this is my first post which is probaly the easiest fix but thats why were on this site haha

Anyways iv got a mk2.5 59 3DR focus and the interior light in the cieling panel was playing up earlier and wouldnt turn on when the doors were all closed and now after taking the lens off and looking to see if anything was wrong i.e bulbs need replacing there is only one bulb and since i put the lens back on the light constantly stays on whilst the doors are closed when the switch is in the button down postion as ifi want them on and when its in like the neutral position so the light comes on when the doors are open so little bit confused ???

Maybe you have knocked something out? Take it back down and re-seat it!

Ill try that in morning but already took it down after i noticed it but it was going dark

Cheers

Hi mate, welcome to the forum :)

If you are still having this problem tomorrow when you have had chance to look, you could upload a photo of which interior light unit you have. Do you mean the front one or the one above the rear seats?? (not sure if your 3 door will have the rear one but that's the only one on my car with just one bulb in it.

I may be a bit more use then :P

@haz93

Its the front one right above the gear stick but i originally thort it may be the bulb/bulbs but like a say when iv took the lens off its only got the one bulb :S

Sounds a bit strange, mine looks like this:

post-30730-0-93200200-1351025332_thumb.j

Maybe its been fitted by a previous owner to produce more light from a single bulb :S Not sure though. I can't understand why it would play up though. so you saying when its in "door open" mode it stays on constantly? even after the car is locked?

No when the doors are closed but the button is not pressed on either side so wen the doors are closed the light should be off but when doors are open it should go on but when the doors are closed the light is on even tho it isnt pressed in to be on if that makes any sense itll probs be easier if i was to take a pic in mornin showin the switch and the light.

Light only dims when you lock it doesnt it?

Lightbonly goes off when i put the switch in off so it never comes on :S

The light should go off when locking, also after about 2 mins after ignition off if the car is not locked. it does sound like you have the wiring the wrong way round, although this would be hard as the two connectors are different shapes.

You could take the light unit out to check the wiring, only need a flat screwdriver and a few seconds. see my guide to help remove the light unit.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/tutorials/article/34-guide-to-fitting-ambient-submarine-lighting-focus-fiesta-mondeo/

There should be two different connectors, one will have two wires and the other has just one. make sure these are attached firmly and there is no damage to the wiring

This is what it was like this morning after the doors had been closed for a few minutes

Look like an idiot now aswell iv took photos of the problem but dont no how to upload them on this thread any help plz im using a mobile aswell ?

I don't think you can upload via a mobile. Best way is on a pc through the 'more reply options' section. You can try using the 'use full version' button at the bottom if you do t have access to a pc

Cheers heres some of the photos iv took showing what the problem is much appreciated for any help thanks.

post-37742-0-28153900-1351074069_thumb.j

post-37742-0-96621900-1351074095_thumb.j

post-37742-0-55124100-1351074121_thumb.j

post-37742-0-60536500-1351074157_thumb.j

post-37742-0-81807100-1351074183_thumb.j

post-37742-0-40555400-1351074210_thumb.j

Wires appear connected properly.

Explain again what the light does in these positions-

When switch to the left?

When switch in the middle?

When switch to the right?

When switched to the left its off completley when in the middle it stays on completley and the same for switched to the right but it should fade out wen its in the middle when the doors close ??

It only fades out when the car is locked not when the doors are closed. try sitting inside with no key in the car. make sure your light is set in the middle and use the door lock. if it goes out then its working correctly. If not there may be a section of that copper circuit on the back of the unit that is in contact between the two different circuits.

Also got to say that defo the first focus I've seen with a single bulb unit in the front. If your problem continues, you may want to change the unit for a 3 bulb type

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-mk4-2010-Interior-Light-/251160394352?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7a537a70

Thats the unit used in the facelift focus, seems a bit steep though. best to shop around if you do want to replace it. the same unit will fit from a fiesta mk6/7 or mondeo mk3/4 cmax etc...

I have exactly the same problem with my interior lights too, still no idea why!

i would be looking at the switch on the door not the light unit just not 100% sure if they still use the old style plunger swith to turn the light out or is now in corporated into the door lock only sayin as in the past when curtesy lghts have played up its been the switch on the door not the unit its self worth havin a delve .

I can see no switch on the doors - at least not on mine anyway!

Its a nucence really coz it just has to be permantly off might go to fords and see what they say coz they serviced it last week and replaced a fuse so maybe theyve nocked something in the fuse box but thanks for ur inputs people and ill post the results.

Right everybody found the culprit it was after i compared the light switch to the one on my dads focus that i realised the triangular copper fittments attached to the switch were too far apart on my switch so after a little squeeze together everything is back to normal :) once again thanks for everyones help

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club