Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lack Of Power..help!!

domc

A couple of months ago my Focus decided not to start after work. I called out the AA and he did some tests on the car and came to the conclusion that it was a problem with the fuel pump not sucking through the petrol as it had got low. He managed to get it started and I eventually got it home. Went to take it to the garage the next day and it started perfectly fine but I decided to take it to the garage so they could have a look at it. As it had started and wasnt problamatic they said they couldnt be sure it was the fuel pump and didnt want to waste my money if that wasnt the problem. Anyway I filled the car up on Sunday night and again Friday after work (when the petrol had got down to the same level) it wouldnt start again. I went and put some petrol in a petrol can put it in the car and it started perfectly. I kept running it as it was and even ran the petrol down to see if it would do it again but it didnt, it started fine everytime. Until yesterday morning when it really struggled to start. Once I got it started when I was driving it was very juddery (not sure thats a real word!) and lacking in power especially when in the lower gears.

Any ideas what the problem could be and where to start to get this resolved? It sounds to me like there could be a blockage somewehre stopping the fuel getting through?

Any help would be appreciated.

has it had a fuel filter change might be blocked

I have heard there is rubbish that sits at the bottom of the fuel tank and when it gets low enough all that goes into the engine and causes problems I personally would get it cleaned out and have new fuel added but I'm not an expert or mechanically minded but I hope u get it sorted

An observation and a suggestion.

1. If you've experienced problems with low fuel don't keep repeating it ;-)

2. Treat the quarter marks a fuel,tank e,pity and fill up thus preventing repeat of issue.

My first thoughts matches post above, sucking cramp up out of the tank coz it's run low on fuel.

Get a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner, Fill your tank, add the full bottle.

Worked wonders on my car, but mine didn't not start.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STP-Petrol-Fuel-Injector-Cleaner-Car-Van-4x4-200ml-NEW-/261020342441?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D170671839487%26ps%3D54

I found that before using this, my car had low power in low gears, it juddered a lot in low gears, and I had to be going faster than normal in 4th and 5th for it not to labour.

I added this, it's spot on now - I feel like I have more performance, and it's a lot better in low gears, it honestly feels like a different car.

the pickup for the fuel draws fuel from the bottom of the tank so this idea that running the car low means rubbish gets sucked up is just well rubbish thats why theres a fuel filter on the car to catch the particles in the fuel this as said may be blocked its not uncommon and always overlooked on services so that would be the first point of call and the cheapest

In a way - the rubbish at the bottom still would happen.

If you consider sooty deposits being very light - they'll float on top top of the petrol, and as the intake for petrol is about half an inch, to an inch from the bottom of the tank, as the fuel gets low - the sooty deposits would be at the right height to get sucked up.

Cheers for all the help guys definitely going to get the fuel filter changed and see if that helps the problem

An observation and a suggestion.

1. If you've experienced problems with low fuel don't keep repeating it ;-)

2. Treat the quarter marks a fuel,tank e,pity and fill up thus preventing repeat of issue.

My first thoughts matches post above, sucking cramp up out of the tank coz it's run low on fuel.

I must have been half if not fully cut (inebriated) when I posted this!!!!

haha never noticed maybe we were all in the same state thats why it made sense :D

I usually find it's easy to post gobbledygook when using my phone.

Fat thumbs and touch screens don't always work well with predictive text. :P

What could be the problem is that there is water in the fuel. i work on small private aircaft for a living and on the very odd occation an aircraft comes in with fuel issues. there are additives out there that soaks up water from fuel as water sits in the bottom of the tank. all fuel has a small amount of water in it. cant be helped but i would try that and then see what happens. and then change the fuel filter or just tajke it out a clean it with pneumatic air if possible?? saves you abit of bob :)

I usually find it's easy to post gobbledygook when using my phone.

Fat thumbs and touch screens don't always work well with predictive text.

:P

thats very true hence why i have had 3 replacement screens i can confirm though mobiles do bounce surprisingly well

Due to the nature of my job I'm very hard on my phones.

I'm always bouncing them and sending them skidding across roads and car parks.

When I had an iPhone I had a military grade protective rubber and polycarbon case which was great.

Can't find one for my current phone and have gone through 6 protective backs in 6 months.

Thankfully no screens so far.

I wreck radios quite frequently too, I'm sure Sepura love me. :D

low and behold the ford owners club annual mobile phone olympic games :D

• 2 months later...

Following on from the above I've still experienced a lack of power at times even after getting the fuel filter changed. Also recently having trouble starting the car even with a full tank in it. Any ideas as to what the lack of power and trouble starting could be? Would they be connected? Problem with the power seems to be when cold and when going about under 30.