Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Brake Pads Do's And Don'ts

k13r4n

Ok noob question I have just had to get new front pads put in anything I should do or shouldn't do while they get driven in properly

1st I have ever had it done that's why I'm asking

just take it easy mate dont hold the car on hills or junctions for a long time with the foot brake they should bed in pretty quickly but wont be as effective for a bit till this happens thats really it mate avoid harsh braking

just take it easy mate dont hold the car on hills or junctions for a long time with the foot brake they should bed in pretty quickly but wont be as effective for a bit till this happens thats really it mate avoid harsh braking

Ok cool cheers for the advice dude

Have heard two schools of thought on this to be honest, and not really sure which is is best so might be opening a can of worms here!

I would have agreed with Art about taking it easy, but I got my mechanic to change them on my Mondeo a couple of years back and his advice was the opposite - to take it to a quiet road and boot it up to 60ish and then brake hard to 20-30, repeat this half a dozen times and they'd be grand after that.

Can see the logic in both really!

i would go with artscot79 thats what i always do

Depends on the pad really, standard stuff just drive them normally. If you've put some performance ones in then follow the manufacturers guidelines - the Pagids RS14/15 I used in my Scooby and VX220s/Elises went something like this :lol: :

1.) BASIC BEDDING IN

To initiate some heat in the brake discs and pads.

4 to 6 stops with medium brake pressure from approximately 150 km/h (90 MPH) to approximately 80 km/h (50 MPH).

Distance between each brake stop approximately 300 - 400 meters (300 to 400 yards).

The pads should not reach temperatures above 400° Centigrade (550° Fahrenheit).

No dragging!

Blocking of the air ducts might be helpful to reach appropriate temperatures quicker.

2.) IMMEDIATELY AFTER BASIC BEDDING IN AT HIGH SPEED

Simulating race conditions

One stop with medium to heavy brake pressure, without allowing brakes to lock from approximately 180 km/h (110 MPH) to approximately 80 km/h (50 MPH).

No dragging!

Recovery stops with light brake pressure 3 to 4 times. (Cleaning procedure)

Repeat the high-speed stops including recovery stops 2 to 3 times.

Allow a cool-off distance of approximately 500 m (500 yards) between high-speed stops.

Yeah that's an in-depth idea of the more rigorous way of bedding them in that I'd heard/read about before.

Kieran, what type of pads did you get by the way mate and anybody any opinions on decent ones? Although good braking is obviously paramount for safety and not something worth scrimping on, I'm only in a 2.0 TDCi so I doubt I need stuff that's gonna cost megabucks!

Eurocarparts have 25% off and have Pagid for £33 and Eicher for £21....go with Pagid? Or are there any better value set-ups on eBay or similar?

Just standard replacement I think ford did it