Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Stuttering?

Kazlok

Hey guys,

Fairly recently I fixed a revving problem which I posted about on here and got some good suggestions! (http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/35039-ford-fiesta-revving-problem/#entry197217)

Now my car seems to be randomly having issues with the engine stuttering, it seems to randomly come and go so recreating the conditions is quite difficult.

Usually it starts when I take off in First gear and it feels like it's going to stall or its choking on something which makes acceleration difficult, second gear it's still quite violent shudders but can usually get me up-to speed, from third and fourth gear the shudders are far less noticeable.

The odd thing is once I'm up-to speed, or if I accelerate very slowly, the car seems to behave fine! It seems to be ok in neutral, however, when I was waiting outside work the other day it was having little 'hiccups'.

As i said sometimes its fine, and the car will behave normally, which makes me think there could be a blockage somewhere?

Someone from work suggested that there is something blocking a filter which is attached to the carburettor? (Apparently this filter isn't even mentioned in the haynes manual)

Something I've noticed is that there seems to be less power when its playing up and that there may be a ticking noise coming from the engine? This may just me being paranoid though lol..

Any-ways I thought I would post on here to see if anyone else has had a similar problem or knows of a fix :)

Cheers

I had the exact same problem. It tends to happen more when the engine is cold. It was my number 4 cylinder on my engine. Wasnt to expensive to fix. If you take it to a garage and leave it there over night and ask them to run diagnostics on it in the morning the fault should occur so they and identify exactly which cylinder is causing the problem. Could also need new HT leads

Sounds like HT lead or coil pack problem, both common faults on this engine from what I understand. Start by replacing the HT leads then go for the coil pack if they don't solve it. Your friend at work is wrong as there is no carburettor on any car made since about 1973 so it will not be mentioned in the Haynes manual!

Mine turned out to be the coil pack and it was the exact sane symptoms you're describing

Couldnt tell you haha id assume so but I just let the garage sort it for me and its been fine ever since. Let me know how u get on :)

Hey guys,

Fairly recently I fixed a revving problem which I posted about on here and got some good suggestions! (http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/35039-ford-fiesta-revving-problem/#entry197217)

Now my car seems to be randomly having issues with the engine stuttering, it seems to randomly come and go so recreating the conditions is quite difficult.

Usually it starts when I take off in First gear and it feels like it's going to stall or its choking on something which makes acceleration difficult, second gear it's still quite violent shudders but can usually get me up-to speed, from third and fourth gear the shudders are far less noticeable.

The odd thing is once I'm up-to speed, or if I accelerate very slowly, the car seems to behave fine! It seems to be ok in neutral, however, when I was waiting outside work the other day it was having little 'hiccups'.

As i said sometimes its fine, and the car will behave normally, which makes me think there could be a blockage somewhere?

Someone from work suggested that there is something blocking a filter which is attached to the carburettor? (Apparently this filter isn't even mentioned in the haynes manual)

Something I've noticed is that there seems to be less power when its playing up and that there may be a ticking noise coming from the engine? This may just me being paranoid though lol..

Any-ways I thought I would post on here to see if anyone else has had a similar problem or knows of a fix :)

Cheers

Alright mate did you get the problem sorted?

• 2 years later...

Did the coil pack replacement work? I have the same problem with my Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 05 plate, could there be a coilpack proble even if i am able to achieve 40+ mpg and have no loss of power in higher revs only when stationary or near stationary where it feels like the engine is choking. Any help/advice would be very much appreciated please.
Graham

This is going back a while so I can't quite remember, I still have the stuttering problem however..

At one point I couldn't even put the car into gear and had to call out a recovery vehicle, the mechanic put his foot down in neutral and it kicked back into life, he thought It was something in one of the valves stuck.

Every now and then I just have to put my foot down a bit and It seems to stop it for a while, but apparently it can be caused by a multitude of things.

Sorry I can't be more help!

Dan

Thank you anyway :) . I hope yours goes soon too! I regularly use injector cleaner etc and only use VPower nitro so i doubt there is a blocked valve but it is possible. Giving my car a good rev has never solved the problem. My bet is that it is an intermittment sensor problem due to either a bad connection or malfunctioning sensor, but somehow influences the fuel air mixture :S confused. Better get back to the drawing board!
Graham

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club