Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vibration When Driving Under Load Mk1 Focus 1.6

good old reliable

Hi newbie here

got a problem with the old gal!

when under acceleration 45mph+ with car load the whole car seems to vibrate then immediately stops when ease off the throttle,

i have been told this could be a drive shaft, drive shaft bearing, cv joints disc warped etc.

I have changed discs pads.

this only happens when under load!!

its not really bad but very irritating and embarrassing when you have a car full, you can feel it through the whole car.

any idea's would be helpful.

cheers

• 2 months later...

sorry to bring this up again but had the drive o/s complete drive shaft changed today and the problem is still there, and suggestion please?

Thanks

Sorry you never got a reply on this,

If it stops when you let off the accelerator, i would suggest the problem doesn't lie with something which rotates or moves when the car is in motion.

Have you inspected the engine mounts?

i sencond checking the mounts..... had the same problem a few years ago on my sierra 4*4, ..... i thought it was my prop shaft as it happened after wheel spinning (showing off) turned out to b engine mounts

Discs warped = wobble on steering and on the pedal(under braking)

cv joint = as far as im aware click (knock) on full lock either way

drive shaft = only ever prob i came across is car pops out of gear, and now and again a clunk noise

there could me more to add....

Thanks guys

yes it does stop when you let off the throttle

i thought being when under load it would put more torque on the drive train therefore if anything out, it would make it vibrate more.

this happens when in straight line so cv joints ok no click when on lock either.

changed pads discs...

no wobble on steering at any speed

had new tyres on balanced

tracking checked

sweet when throttle off or coasting, only happens when accelerating in 4/5th gear and over 45mph up to about 70mph.

what you think? still think engine mount if so, the question is which one?

I'm still with engine mount(s)

I would check them all for signs of wear or damage, then try to move the engine and see if any of them move easily. You will get a little movement but it should be excessive

ok, i will see what i can do, the engine feels solid but i don't suppose you can see the mount very well until you remove it. just to add another word, it feels like the whole car is shimmering, and if you have a loose piece of clothing on you can see it shimmering . i dont get any vibration when on tick over either.

when was the mot'd and serviced last?

also how and when did this start?

How many miles has she done?

just tring to get an idea what condition the engine is in.

Hi newbie here

got a problem with the old gal!

when under acceleration 45mph+ with car load the whole car seems to vibrate then immediately stops when ease off the throttle,

i have been told this could be a drive shaft, drive shaft bearing, cv joints disc warped etc.

I have changed discs pads.

this only happens when under load!!

its not really bad but very irritating and embarrassing when you have a car full, you can feel it through the whole car.

any idea's would be helpful.

cheers

Id put 5 pounds bet on the idea that you have a buckle in one of yout alloys mate.

Full load causes tyre squat (side wall tyre buldge) putting the circumference of the alloy closer to the ground thus causing the bump de bump sensation on driving. And would get worse at speed.

Id put 5 pounds bet on the idea that you have a buckle in one of yout alloys mate.

Full load causes tyre squat (side wall tyre buldge) putting the circumference of the alloy closer to the ground thus causing the bump de bump sensation on driving. And would get worse at speed.

I see where your coming from Lenny as this would be more noticeable at speed but wouldn't be affected by letting off the accelerator

to answer your questions...

when was the mot'd and serviced last? mot december 2012 had new rear spring on as was broken. thats the first time have had anything done, as saled through each time. serviced in may 2012

also how and when did this start? started about 2 years ago and slowly getting worse

How many miles has she done? 83,000 steady miles

bit of history..

i have had the car since 2001 with 10,000 miles on the clock

i have had numerous rear wheel bearings gear box fixed about 5 years ago may be longer after i accidently slammed it in reverse with no clutch (bad mood)had a couple of cogs changed.

had clutch changed twice (when gearbox done)cause had judder and it stunk, (cheap clutch i think) so decided to have proper ford clutch in that cured that. cheaky git tried to blame my driving!

got k&n panel filter in original box and miltek cat back on. but i am no boy racer (too old for that now) just wanted it sound nice and i wouldn't have to pay for another exhaust, lol as i knew i was keeping the car for a while.

few cosmetics and thats about it.

only really started noticing it when i go on holiday, 5 in car towing trailer, which isn't very often. but now you can feel it with just 4 people in and no trailer, only when 45+ accelerating slightly mainly in 5th. just annoying really when i know every one can feel it.

• 2 weeks later...

hi mate ain't got any money yet to play around with and its too dam cold to mess. i have noticed when you lift the clutch up a bit quick and the car jerks i can hear a thud noise. so i was thinking of looking at the rear gearbox mounting to see if there is any movement in that. apart from that i am still at a loss without spending shed loads with no results...

ok up date

checked rear engine mount to chassis no movement back forwards only can move end on engine side to side a bit.

checked engine mount on drivers side no movement

checked gearbox mount on passenger side can't move the engine but when put screw driver down between body and centre mount there is quite a bit of movement. the mount seems to have cracks and splits on either side. the mount only seems to be joined left and right side with kind of bump stop at the rear i suppose to stop engine moving backwards too much is this right?

could this cause kind of like thumping when moving very slowly in traffic and you lift the clutch up a bit quick and when the clutch bites hits i hear a thump....

If it is split and cracked then in my option it cant be supporting the engine as well as it should. I would think thats where the noise is comming from.

I would also be questioning why has it failed in the first place?

Previous driver abuse??

Keep us posted

I would get that mount changed asap. i had mine drop on the mk2 which is very similar to your mount. it caused the driveshafts to bend also and lucky that i stopped the car immediately before causing even more damage.

ok changed mount

small splits both sides but nothing major thumping still there also vibration

i have had the car for 11 years now so no boy racer there! lol.

i did how ever when checking things found fair play in n/s driveshaft when twisted backwards and forwards can hear gears in box knocking.

i also have thumping when going over uneven road sounds like coming from front suspension somewhere??

• 2 weeks later...

ok update on the vibration thing.

found two of my alloys we slightly buckled,!! had new tyres put on all of them and no one said anything.

this is how i found out, but not saying you do this.

jack drivers side wheel up, hand brake on other wheels chocked, traction control off.

put in 4th run speed up to 35mph got slight vibration in the car. took it up to 50-60mph the car vibrated like hell.

swapped other wheels for the same hub and found 2 wheels no vibration but another slight vibration.

took wheels to garage and they checked wheels again and found my wheels were slightly oval.

changed for another 2 wheels had them all balanced again and the vibration a lot better but still slightly there.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club