Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sony Headunit For Focus 2009

georgeb1971

Hi, I've just purchased my Focus (1.8 tdci zetec) and am really happy with it (ow I've got used to a diesel!). The first change I want to make is to the head unit. In my previous car i had an aftermarket Kenwood unit which I could play mp3's through a usb stick and even stream music via bluetooth through my phone but this time I want to stick to a Ford/Sony stereo so that it fits in with the dashboard style better and I'll also be able to make full use of the Ford bluetooth module that is already fitted.

I currently have the Ford 6000cd unit which is ok but doesn't play mp3's so from what i can work out I can even buy a connects2 lead and fit a usb in my glove box which would be ok or go for a Sony headunit (from a focus so that the bluetooth/calling module still works) which would then enable me to play mp3's on a cd. However even after reading loads of threads from various sites I have a couple of questions.... If I go for the Sony MP3 dab unit which I've seen can I just use it as a standard FM radio without having to change aerials etc? Is there any better option apart from going for a non Ford/Sony stereo? I don't want to have to fit new phone mic etc which is why I'm thinking of the Sony unit.

In an ideal world I would love blutooth streaming and usb slot but don't think there is a Ford unit out there offering this?

Many thanks

I belive there is an update for the standard bluretooth module that alows bluetooth streaming. This is something that a ford garage would have to do if you don't have a USB port fitted as standard.

Also for the headunits there are a lot of Chinese touch screen ones on eBay. Also if you have the money you should consider the German built Zenec unit but that's about £700?!! And will work with the standard features apart from voice control

thanks for the info, just had a look at the chinese touchscreen ones which look quite good for around £250. Just wondered if anyone has one on here and got any good/bad comments? The spec seems good although I don't really need GPS and video but it would let me stream via bluetooth and still have calling facilities I believe, plus SD card and USB card for mp3. Too good to be true?

Hi. I am in the same situation as you are. Have you considered the ford USB music box? Apparently that is compatible with the ford cd6000. As the other poster said, I believe that there are updates for streaming but I thought these updates were only available for the Sony head unit and not the cd6000. Out of interest, what age is your focus? Mine is a 59 2009.

The update is for the bluetooth unit made by Nokia, not the actuall headunit so would work with all focus headunits :)

Also I'm sure the wire for the USB is taped up behind the glove box, saw it today when wiring my footwell lights. May just need the socket plugging in :S

Ah okok. Wow taped up.... Are u gna have a look and see if it works. If so. I will take outy glove box and see if I have anything.

Yeah I might give it a go if I can get the USB socket :)

Then it means I will be able to update the bluetooth via memory stick instead of paying ford £75 to do it

Mine is a 09 Focus, I have read that some people had the cabling behind the glove box but I didn't think it was for a usb?? I could be wrong though! Yes I did have a look at the music Box option but couldn't see much difference between that and the connects2 cables which were a little cheaper. It would be great if the bluetooth module could be updated to allow streaming on the existing unit but I don't think it's going to be that easy.... I'm going to see what reviews I can find for the touchscreen chinese units.. In the meantime it would be interesting if anyone else has resolved these issues

Thanks for your replies

just read a few comments on forums regarding the touchscreen units on eBay and they didn't sound too promising - would be good to hear from someone on here who has one.

You can get a pioneer touchscreen with a 5.8 inch screen bluetooth, reverse camera function usb and aux ports on the front and it plays dvds for aba £250 ish

You can get a pioneer touchscreen with a 5.8 inch screen bluetooth, reverse camera function usb and aux ports on the front and it plays dvds for aba £250 ish

Have you got your pioneer yet mate?

I've got mine ready as well as my reverse park camera. Fitting kit should be here tomorrow so I can do a test fit. But then I'm not allowed it till the 25th

Then it means I will be able to update the Bluetooth via memory stick instead of paying ford £75 to do it

Ok if you do, could you let me know. I would be very interested to hear how you get on.

Mine is a 09 Focus, I have read that some people had the cabling behind the glove box but I didn't think it was for a usb?? I could be wrong though! Yes I did have a look at the Music Box option but couldn't see much difference between that and the connects2 cables which were a little cheaper. It would be great if the bluetooth module could be updated to allow streaming on the existing unit but I don't think it's going to be that easy.... I'm going to see what reviews I can find for the touchscreen chinese units.. In the meantime it would be interesting if anyone else has resolved these issues

Thanks for your replies

Ok. So with the connects2 cable does it plug in the same way as the music box? Would be so good if the bluetooth module could be updated to allow steaming. But from what I read on other forums, it only seemed possible with the Sony dab head unit and not the ford cd6000 but they may have been wrong. I would contact ford to find out but I have only just had my car back after 3 weeks of driving a courtesy fiesta whilst they did a warranty repair. I want to steer clear for a while!

Have you got your pioneer yet mate?

I've got mine ready as well as my reverse park camera. Fitting kit should be here tomorrow so I can do a test fit. But then I'm not allowed it till the 25th

No not yet mate probs gunna be either december but when you do urs any chance you could make a guide cz i wanna try fit it meself like :P

No not yet mate probs gunna be either december but when you do urs any chance you could make a guide cz i wanna try fit it meself like :P

Yes mate was plannin to take a few photos of the fitting n writing up a guide. Seems pretty much plug n play though.

Fitting kit came this morning so I quickly whipped out the 6000cd n plugged the pioneer in using the wiring loom it came with n the patch lead from the kit.

You end up with this long beast of a wiring loom:

2012-11-15141348.jpg

And then that plugs into your existing 6000cd loom so theres gonna be a hell of a lot of wiring behind the stereo.

Up n running with the Missus's ipod plugged in:

2012-11-15135715.jpg

That's as close as I got to it though as it's now been wrapped up ready for my birthday.

Missus also bought me a neat little reversing camera that replaces a number plate light so I'll write a guide on fitting it too:

2012-11-13144957.jpg

Need to work out a few things concerning the stereo fitting. First is I'm not sure where to plug the steering wheel control adapter into cause it's got a 3.5mm jack on it.

Second is the aerial adapter seems a bit wide and doesn't seem to fit in the back of the stereo. I'll suss it out at the time though. Didn't have time to play around with it n the Missus's nephew was being a git n trying to demolish me car from the inside out.

One thing I will say about it that I'm not entirely happy with, is that when trying to turn it on, I quickly discovered that there is no on/off button.

Instead it comes on automatically when you turn the car on. Which will be annoying as when I'm driving about with the Missus n say I get out to pop in somewhere n she waits in the car, she likes to put the radio on while she's waiting but doesn't like leaving the keys on display in the ignition. Which she'll have to now if she wants to use the stereo.

Looks good like yer ill see how it goes then once uv fitted urs like haha

Would you be interested in fitting a camera to it mate?

Are you gunna have to chop the facia about to fit it in as its oval shaped on the focus.

Then it means I will be able to update the Bluetooth via memory stick instead of paying ford £75 to do it

I forgot to ask, you mentioned about your usb cable being taped up, what age is your focus? Maybe only the newer ones have it?

I took my glove box out once before to fit a dash cam and I didn't see any taped up cables although, I was not really looking for one.

I emailed Ford Parts a few days back before I saw this thread to see how much the music box was, and this is the price I got back just for your reference:

<quote>

Thankyou for your Enquiry.

Here is the information requested:

2009 Ford Focus USB Connection Box Kit

Part Number: 1746768

Retail Price: £69.16

You Pay: £62.24

Postage & Packing

Royal Mail/Parcel Force UK 2Day service £5.50

Prices subject to VAT @ 20%

Total Cost: £81.29

</quote>

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club