Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Changed There Headlights To After Market Ones?

Millsy1

Hey guys. own a ford focus mk2 2005 1.6 zetec

After washing my car i noticed a little bit of water was getting into my headlights and then steamed up when lights were turned on.

i was wondering if anyone has brought after market headlights for there focus. i.e angel eye. daytime running light units.

as thinking of changing them to something else instead of the stock units.

thanks

I bought after market angel eyes for my fiesta n its by far the best mod ive made. www.utraauto.co.uk theyve got some nice lights you could maybe find the lights abit cheaper elsewhere

that link doesnt seem to be working.

what are the angel eyes like at night for brightness?

that link doesnt seem to be working.

what are the angel eyes like at night for brightness?

Depends on the bulbs you use mate, in my display picture thats just the side lights/rings that are on and you can see how bright they are. Ive got Phillips X-Treme Vision 100% bulbs in both dipped and main beam and they're great brightness wise ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=philips+xtreme+h7&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=17028428394&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=581871202106980763&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_7x57lyqlvm_ b ) although i cant find a set of bulbs to match the colour of the rings short of HIDs which i am considering. I got some Xenon effect w5w 501 side lights which you can see in my picture and ive recently fitted Phillips silvertec indicator bulbs which are silver coated so they dont stick out like a sore thumb but still flash orange unlike the amber bulbs http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-12496-SV-Silver-Vision-Bulbs/dp/B000PGRI5O/ref=pd_sim_auto_7

http://www.ultraauto.co.uk/

Like i said mines a fiesta but they do focus lights aswel either that or have you considered the Morette lights? theyre expensive but theyre realy nice you can colour code them to your car http://www.morette.com/products/MAIN/mainproducts.htm

ah right okies so i can change the bulbs that are in there to make them better/brighter...didnt know that.so at night they work really well?

i was going to get myself a full set of osram cool blue as they have had a fantastic write up on guys off this forum.

for a few extra quid i could upgrade to angel eyes instead of the standered ones. hmmmm lol.

Yeah mate theyre nice n fit the osram bulbs to the angel eyes. Let me know how you get on with the osram bulbs I was gona try them myself but ended up getting the phillips ones

Hello Ive changed the lights on my Blue 2005 mk2 Focus 1.6 tdci and its a great mod if you want to individualise your car. It completely differnet from stock and has L.E.D day time running lights.

http://www.daytimeru...yle-headlights/

But one note is that you should check the bulb type before purchase as i found that thses use H1's for main beam and full beam. (annoying) Ill post up pictures later as i think we have the same model and colour car. If the picture you have is your car?

Regards

they was the other kind of lights i was looking at. and yeah thats my car in profile photo.

im sure i have found them alot cheaper then they are.

was they easy to fit? and wire etc?

Hello Gary.

They are very easy to fit. 5 min each light to install and a plug in and play job. They are excellent and i highly recommended them. I don’t know how much they are because my friend paid for them. “He He”

But there are two down side's which i do warn you about. Yours might be by a different manufacturer but if they are the same. The Main and the Full beam bulbs are both H1/H1 not H7/H1. Which I found strange and annoying.

The second is that the quality of light that the main beam projects is very poor. So I do recommend changing them straight away. Im getting Ring Ultima 120% H1. I will post a picture when i can on how they look.

Regards

P.s When i mean the "quality of light that the main beam projects is very poor" the lights come with bulbs already installed. They are less than impressive.

I had that problem with the poor beam but it went for its MOT and they adjusted the height since the after market lights dont have automatic levellers and that fixed the problem

Hello Gary.

They are very easy to fit. 5 min each light to install and a plug in and play job. They are excellent and i highly recommended them. I don’t know how much they are because my friend paid for them. “He He”

But there are two down side's which i do warn you about. Yours might be by a different manufacturer but if they are the same. The Main and the Full beam bulbs are both H1/H1 not H7/H1. Which I found strange and annoying.

The second is that the quality of light that the main beam projects is very poor. So I do recommend changing them straight away. Im getting Ring Ultima 120% H1. I will post a picture when i can on how they look.

Regards

You may be able to advise me then, as I'm currently contemplating these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150766137144?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Have contacted the seller and they do only take H1 as you say, theres no H7 which I find weird. Also they come with all the bulbs but something I find weird is that theres no 501 w5w wedge bulb for the sidelights, as there is no sidelights. Instead the DRLs act as the side lights. I don't know how I feel like this, and the bulbs provided are bound to be poor quality.

I find your statement rather contradicting, saying that they are excellent and you highly recommend them, but the light quality is very poor.

Is the poor light quality simply because the bulbs provided are crap? And can easily be rectified by swapping them for quality bulbs? As if this is the case, I was wanting to swap them for my current osram cool blue intense H1s anyway.

Thing is, everyone I know to have fitted angel eyes, have said they look pretty but the light quality is actually terrible, and that at this time of year you'll want to take em out and put your old standard headlight units back in instead as the angel eyes are really that bad.

Ive got angel eyes fitted as said n u can see from my display pic that the rings/side lights are bright and with a pair of decent bulbs fitted the dipped beams are realy bright when set up correctly

Thats just the sidelights/rings on in my display picture

You may be able to advise me then, as I'm currently contemplating these:

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649

Have contacted the seller and they do only take H1 as you say, theres no H7 which I find weird. Also they come with all the bulbs but something I find weird is that theres no 501 w5w wedge bulb for the sidelights, as there is no sidelights. Instead the DRLs act as the side lights. I don't know how I feel like this, and the bulbs provided are bound to be poor quality.

I find your statement rather contradicting, saying that they are excellent and you highly recommend them, but the light quality is very poor.

Is the poor light quality simply because the bulbs provided are crap? And can easily be rectified by swapping them for quality bulbs? As if this is the case, I was wanting to swap them for my current osram cool blue intense H1s anyway.

Thing is, everyone I know to have fitted angel eyes, have said they look pretty but the light quality is actually terrible, and that at this time of year you'll want to take em out and put your old standard headlight units back in instead as the angel eyes are really that bad.

Hello Charlie

Yes there are no side lights fitments because the L.E.D strip are essentially is the side light. (annoying as i bought lovely L.E.D sides) Mine came with adapter that you can rewire to make the L.E.D turn on when you start the car Like the "Audi's" (Ask the seller if it comes with it). I did not bother doing that as i have automatic lights and like the option to turn them off. So your side light function switch turns on your L.E.D strip.

In Terms of the Quality of light, I've not changed them yet as the new H1 bulbs are a little xmas present on the side for me. So i cannot say if its the projector itself or the bulb. It has passed the M.O.T 3x with flying colours tho.

The old lamps have a little further reach of light but the after market has beam has a very defined edge(due to projectors). The bulbs in the aftermarket are not terrible but its not what im used to. Full beams is good tho. Bottom line is everyone has different opinions on whats they like. My previous car were running Ring Ulitma 120% which were outstanding, so im used to a good beam of light.

Ive probably not helped at all in your answer but the reason why we all do this is because of looks more than over the function. There has got to be a compromise somewhere when modding. With the headlamps, the compromise is very small in relation to how they look as it takes 5mins to change back to stocks, They certainly turn heads and thats why i highly recommend them.

Regards

P.s picture added next page

Hello Charlie

Yes there are no side lights fitments because the L.E.D strip are essentially is the side light. (annoying as i bought lovely L.E.D sides) Mine came with adapter that you can rewire to make the L.E.D turn on when you start the car Like the "Audi's" (Ask the seller if it comes with it). I did not bother doing that as i have automatic lights and like the option to turn them off. So your side light function switch turns on your L.E.D strip.

In Terms of the Quality of light, I've not changed them yet as the new H1 bulbs are a little xmas present on the side for me. So i cannot say if its the projector itself or the bulb. It has passed the M.O.T 3x with flying colours tho.

The old lamps have a little further reach of light but the after market has beam has a very defined edge(due to projectors). The bulbs in the aftermarket are not terrible but its not what im used to. Full beams is good tho. Bottom line is everyone has different opinions on whats they like. My previous car were running Ring Ulitma 120% which were outstanding, so im used to a good beam of light.

Ive probably not helped at all in your answer but the reason why we all do this is because of looks more than over the function. There has got to be a compromise somewhere when modding. With the headlamps, the compromise is very small in relation to how they look as it takes 5mins to change back to stocks, They certainly turn heads and thats why i highly recommend them.

Regards

P.s picture added next page

so am i right in reading what u have said is...they dont come with sidelights. but the daytime running lights act as them...so as i dont have auto lights i have to switch my sidelights on for the daytime running lights to be working?

Yes that is corr

so am i right in reading what u have said is...they dont come with sidelights. but the daytime running lights act as them...so as i dont have auto lights i have to switch my sidelights on for the daytime running lights to be working?

Yes that is correct, Unless yours comes with an adapter you can wire them in to turn on automaticly.

Yes that is corr

Yes that is correct, Unless yours comes with an adapter you can wire them in to turn on automaticly.

ah right okies im glad i found this out..as want them on all the time without switching all the time...have to see what the supplier says..i'll keep you guys posted on whats happening..as atm santa needs stuff first lol.

Heres pictures i have promised. (taken in the freezing cold this morning)

Thanks for the photos

I must say I really don't like the colour of the light emitted, really ruins it.

I also really don't like what you say about the reach of the beam being less than the stock headlights.

They might look pretty, but sacrificing the quality of the light just to have them look pretty seems really stupid. I do a lot of night driving on unlit motorways so I need a good strong beam of light so I can see where I'm going. Doesn't matter if the full beams are good, as I can rarely legally drive with the full beams on as I'll just be blinding cars on the other side of the road and forever be flashed by oncoming cars if I needed the full beams on just to get some decent light.

Also, what you say about how easy it is to just swap them back over for the stock headlight units, yes it's easy, but it really defeats the point of buying the fancy new headlights, if your just gonna have to revert back to stock cause you can't see where your going.

So when you say about the compromise very small, I actually find it a very big compromise, as actually being able to see where your going is just as important as having decent tread on your tyres.

Don't mean to sound like I'm knocking you or anything though, I'm still really tempted by them and most likely will get them, but only if I can swap the bulbs for my own.

Thanks for the photos

I must say I really don't like the colour of the light emitted, really ruins it.

I also really don't like what you say about the reach of the beam being less than the stock headlights.

They might look pretty, but sacrificing the quality of the light just to have them look pretty seems really stupid. I do a lot of night driving on unlit motorways so I need a good strong beam of light so I can see where I'm going. Doesn't matter if the full beams are good, as I can rarely legally drive with the full beams on as I'll just be blinding cars on the other side of the road and forever be flashed by oncoming cars if I needed the full beams on just to get some decent light.

Also, what you say about how easy it is to just swap them back over for the stock headlight units, yes it's easy, but it really defeats the point of buying the fancy new headlights, if your just gonna have to revert back to stock cause you can't see where your going.

So when you say about the compromise very small, I actually find it a very big compromise, as actually being able to see where your going is just as important as having decent tread on your tyres.

Don't mean to sound like I'm knocking you or anything though, I'm still really tempted by them and most likely will get them, but only if I can swap the bulbs for my own.

Hello

I understand what you are saying here but firstly: i did not say that the beam of light was poor due to the actual head light, all i said was that the beam of light has a "little" less further reach. But a more defined edge. I clearly stated that I was just used to the light of a higher quality bulb on my old car and im waiting till xmas to upgrade them.

Secondly: I did not suggest at all that go driving around with the full beam on like a idiot, all i was saying was that the light of the full beam emitted was great and very clear.

Lastly the compromise: All i was stating was that the compromise was minimal due to the fact that you can upgrade the bulb anyways and also i they do not work in the long run, it is not a big job to change them back to stocks. Not like changing coil-overs and finding the ride is to harsh.

I to think that a clear and high quality light is highly important when driving at night, thats why on of the first things i do when i buy a car is change the bulbs. As i said before, i did not buy these headlamps myself they were bought for me as a present. Im personally not bothered about having different head lamps. If i had i my way i would keep the stocks in and upgrade the bulb.

I was just trying to give my honest view (that fact i actually own them and use them everyday) on the head lamps and what to look out for. Either way i still highly recommend them as that look great and work well.

So to make it simple:

Pros: Look great, well built, easy to fit and changeable bulb.

Cons: Stock bulbs are rubbish (change them immediately)

Im not knocking you or anything either , im following your progress and its a very informative post you have. Thumbs up.

Regards

Hello

I understand what you are saying here but firstly: i did not say that the beam of light was poor due to the actual head light, all i said was that the beam of light has a "little" less further reach. But a more defined edge. I clearly stated that I was just used to the light of a higher quality bulb on my old car and im waiting till xmas to upgrade them.

Secondly: I did not suggest at all that go driving around with the full beam on like a idiot, all i was saying was that the light of the full beam emitted was great and very clear.

Lastly the compromise: All i was stating was that the compromise was minimal due to the fact that you can upgrade the bulb anyways and also i they do not work in the long run, it is not a big job to change them back to stocks. Not like changing coil-overs and finding the ride is to harsh.

I to think that a clear and high quality light is highly important when driving at night, thats why on of the first things i do when i buy a car is change the bulbs. As i said before, i did not buy these headlamps myself they were bought for me as a present. Im personally not bothered about having different head lamps. If i had i my way i would keep the stocks in and upgrade the bulb.

I was just trying to give my honest view (that fact i actually own them and use them everyday) on the head lamps and what to look out for. Either way i still highly recommend them as that look great and work well.

So to make it simple:

Im not knocking you or anything either , im following your progress and its a very informative post you have. Thumbs up.

Regards

Lmao I only play nice uncle, you know that ;)

Hello

So to make it simple:

Regards

I really appreciate that reply mate, think you may just convinced me so I'll almost definitely get them at some point and I'll be swapping the bulbs for osrams.

I just really don't get why they go to the effort of making a nice looking premium fancy head light unit and charging a premium price, to only go and ruin them by providing the crappiest bulbs going knowing you'll just have to replace them.

Going by the photos, am I right in saying the indicators appear to be on the inner corners of the head light units as apposed to the outside edges like standard headlights?

I really appreciate that reply mate, think you may just convinced me so I'll almost definitely get them at some point and I'll be swapping the bulbs for osrams.

I just really don't get why they go to the effort of making a nice looking premium fancy head light unit and charging a premium price, to only go and ruin them by providing the crappiest bulbs going knowing you'll just have to replace them.

Going by the photos, am I right in saying the indicators appear to be on the inner corners of the head light units as apposed to the outside edges like standard headlights?

Yes the indicators are on the inside. I agree on what you say on the price.. but companies know that people with a passion for cars (the lot of us) will still pay out regardless of the bulb or not. But saying that i was surprised they came with any in the first place.

Regards

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club