Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Alloys

PjFocus

New wheels catching on arches, alloys, 225x45 r17.

Hi guys and girls. Just upgraded my wheels from the standard 205 55 r16 steel rims that came on my focus mk3 (2005- ) to a set of alloys of a jag that are 225 45 r17. They went on a dream and look amazing but took them out for a test drive and my fears were realised. As I corner it seems the wheels are catching inside the arches. The tyres are in good shape so don't want to change to lower profiles just yet and was hoping someone might have info about spacers (thickness / practicality etc) in any case I'm going to get under it to find out exactly where the contact is being made but any further info would be great.

Are they catching the rim of the wheel arch or up under the arch liner?

If it's the rim then I'd say the offset is wrong.

i think he means the arch liners Stoney as it happens when he corners. surprised by this as i have 19's and they dont catch (235/35/19 tyres) against 225/45/17 for the OP.

Could it be that I also have coil-over suspension fitted? There's still clearence at the top and front to back but at I turn there's just a hint of knocking and it feels as if its rubbing.

okay, that being said then, apart from winding the suspension back up, what's my best bet for resolving it? I was considering spacers to try and push the wheels out just enough so they don't catch.

Lol, I was scratching my head at the first post, working out tyre sizes in my head and thinking 'that should be fine'. Glad to see you missed one tiny bit of info about the coilovers haha. Everything makes sense now.

so what is required to solve this problem then?

i was thinking of eibachs or collies so some info would be great!

Only 2 options really, either wind back the coil overs so the ride height is slightly higher, or try some spacers, careful with the spacers though, make sure the tyre does not protrude from the wheel arch as that will attract attention from the boys in blue. Also you will require longer wheel bolts.

Spacers was my initial line of thought, iv been told i can get away with spacers upto 10mm without having to change the bolts. Longer wheel bolts will mean taking apart the wheels assembly won't it (wheel off, disc off and take out the bolts)

Your thinking of studs, not bolts. I'm sure mine are bolts, which would just be a simple case of getting longer ones. But if it is studs, then yes, its gonna be a bit fiddly. 10mm might not sound like much, but that's quite a few turns of the wheel nuts your gonna be losing, and I'd be concerned as to weather you'll be able to get the wheels on correctly and more importantly SAFELY.

make sure the tyre does not protrude from the wheel arch as that will attract attention from the boys in blue.

Correct, the tyre tread must be level with or inside the outer lip of the wheel arch to be legal and safe.

The side wall or rim can protrude but not the tread.

beware of advice like the original bolts will be fine a reputable tuning company done my sisters pug 306 and said the same thing with 10mm spacers till 2 bolts on the passenger side sheared whilst driving at 50mph the wheel then ended up going up into the arch and ripping the wing off a decent tuner told her with the coilover suspension the stress was too much and that the bolts would have worked on a standard suspension only and that they dont recommend any spacers when using coilovers

I'm not sure I understand why the suspension affects using spacers and longer studs? Surely the two have no baring on each other...

lowering the suspension on coilovers pots extra stress on the wishbones and bushes hence why these cars need new bushes and ball joints more often than normal cars the wheels have more stress also so if you use normal studs with spacers theres a higher chance the stress will shear them off the springs dont take the weight of the car the wishbones and various bushes also take some of the stress im sure that in order for jag wheels to fit you may have to roll the arches as they sit out from the wing

If the wheel offset is different from standard them the edge of the tyre can hit the inner or outer curves of the wheel arch.

The lower the suspension, the more chance of a wheel with incorrect offset rubbing.

Therefore the lower the suspension, the more critical correct offset becomes.

I put it up on stands and had a root around underneath just to see exactly where they're catching. It just looks like a minor bit of rubbing on the inside of the arches (on the plastic shielding the engine bay) going to wind the coils up 10mm and check again :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club