Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Burning Smell.

Herr Fiesta

Anyone got any idea's why my Fiesta(2010 1.6 diesel)gets a burning smell in the cabin when the door's or boot lid are open for any length of time. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the interior courtesy light's because if I turn them on manually with the door's closed I don't get the burning smell. This isn't a new problem but one that is a bit of a worry all the same. Thanks.

Just to clarify then you get the burning smell inside the the car when boot or doors are open but the engine not running. If so is it a plastic burning smell

Yes that's right Sambooka. I should have said that in my last post. I only get the burning smell with the engine off.

It smell's like a burning plastic smell.

Well there is only the interior light and footwell lights that come on so I would check the wires and lamp holders for burn marks. I would have thought if the problem was the radio or instrument cluster there would be other faults

Also check where the loom passes through to the boot and to the doors. The wiring can become brittle and break, causing it to short. If its a weak connection it will get very hot and will only short and fuse if the live and earth come into contact.

After changing my number plate lights I would maybe check those as well as my bulb holders were black and the lamps red hot

Thanks for the tips folks. I'll keep you posted how I get on.

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I've just had the same problem. I had recently changed my footwell bulbs and have had no problems with them until now.

This had literally just happened a few minutes ago, but I started getting the smell you describe. I couldn't find anything, until I looked down in the footwells to find one of them wasn't on (drivers side). I pulled it out and to my expectation, it absolutely stank of burning. Maybe check to see if your footwell bulbs are fully pressed in, since they're only pull out and push in bulbs.

Hope this helped.

*Edit* Just realised the date of the thread lol. Hope this helps anyone with the same issue

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club