Do Not Sell My Personal Information

More Woes, But A Strange One ???

Mike77

Hi again guys, got a wierd problem. Got in my car today, started it up, no problems there. But noticed while driving off that the computer display has gone mental. All it is doing is cycling through all the settings, mpg, average speed, distance left to empty etc etc. And I have no control over it at all, the stalk buttons and switches are not responsive. Hope to god this isn't gonna be a biggie, with the festive fast approaching the money tree is empty :-\ hope someone can shed some light on my problem.

The stalk switch has probably broken would be my guess? Dunno how much they are and how to fit them...

I thought it was maybe that, but it seems to have fixed itself now :wacko: I reset the ecu by dis-connecting the battery for a while, connected it back up and the problem was still there. Just gone out again, and was going to try the dash trick, but all seems fine again now. So will have to see how things go for the next few days. Hope it was just having a little mood swing lol.

Hope thats all it was,,,,, just spent £237 on this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321019790575?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 early prezzy for myself, but only fitting it after christmas.

Then the parents have ordered me these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251103016387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310474547796?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hopefully all will fit in nice and snug, can't wait :-)

lol,,, I've been toying with the idea for EVER,,,, can I afford it, can't I afford it. Decided I can't, and went against my better judgement haha.

Nice little spending spree there mate

Finally decided on the JVC then lol

I was looking at the same one but the pioneer swung it for me by simply not having the volume knob cause I needed one which a flat face to it.

You told the seller you wanted the JVC patch lead for the fitting kit didn't you?

Yeah m8, JVC patch lead ordered. Got the radio today, looks very nice, and has a nice long USB lead to the rear, so I can route that through to the glovebox. All the other stuff is in the post. Volume control not an issue for me, and the JVC has something like 50'000 colour variations so will match my dash spot on too, which is a bonus :-)

I would of liked a rear usb input but to be fair i'm really not thats fusses lol. Got a very tiny usb as well so it doesnt stick out the front at all.

Me pioneers got loads of colour combinations too lol so i've got it matching the rest of my blue interior

can i just ask what the new obsession with DVD is? ..i would have though DAB or satnav would be higher sought after?

or is it because the higher quality screen is needed for the reverse camera?

cheers

None of the above for me to be fair. The high res screen will help with the camera, but mainly the bluetooth and USB swung it for me, handsfree calling and endless music on the USB to do away with space taking CDs. Obviously won't be watching DVDs on the go lol. Got sat nav built into my phone, and this could be connected to the radio screen for a larger display. And last of all its a double din radio as standard, so wanted to keep it that way, and the new unit has a lot more features including silly things like uploading your own background pics, so jyst a big boys toy really :-)

ah yehh, i didnt really think of the little things like that, was thinking of the bigger features ..which you seem to have covered either way! lol

im currently looking for a new double din. think DAB is top of my list. but the wallpaper would be a real bling feature :D

Mine has the same issue Mike, random madness for a while then settles, happened twice so far, if it happens again I've got some switch cleaner/contact cleaner at the ready, seems to be the rocker switch though, noticed a little play in it, so possibly shorting is my thought

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply, thought I was all alone with this. It seems to have fixed itself like yours for now. I did notice something else though while it was happening.... With the heaters on full, if I revved the engine, the speed of the heater fan seemed to pick up with the revs ??? Then when it fixed itself it no longer did it, strange but true lol.

Funny you should say that, for me the flicking between options on the panel got fatser or slower depending on whether I was going faster or slower, drove me mad for days when it was doing it, only ever happened when it's felt damp and cold in the car, like after a heavy dew overnight....

Well is certainly has been cold, wet and damp the last few weeks. Just had to replace the battery as the first cold snap killed it off lol. At least our cars keep us busy haha.

At least our cars keep us busy haha.

Hahaha yep, they certainly do, and out of pocket....

Ok, its back again, and driving me bonkers. If I got some switch cleaner, were would I be spraying it,,,, ? Would I be better to remove the stalk itself ? Here's a clip, someone help before my OCD ruins christmas lol.

http://youtu.be/Y5VcGt2zm-I

100%

100%

So that I don't have to have a big usb sticking out the front of my head unit, or have the ipod wire dangling, i went for one of these tiny things

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280770207781?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

works a treat

so i'm really not fussed about not having a rear input now :)

So that I don't have to have a big usb sticking out the front of my head unit, or have the ipod wire dangling, i went for one of these tiny things

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

works a treat

so i'm really not fussed about not having a rear input now :)

LOL,,,, nice and discreet :rolleyes:

UPDATE,,, ok,so put the volt meter on the car today, engine off 12.3v,, quite normal. Engine on all ancillarys switched OFF, 14.4V, also normal. But engine on and everything switched on ie, heaters, lights, front screen etc etc, showing as low as 11.3v and that's not right. Auto elecs near mine confirmed alternator is dead. So here we go again, New alternator, just hope this is also the reason for the erratic computer problem...

Mine's be running okay on the alternator, not had the crazy display for a while, but doesn't seem connected on mine, but you never know, you might be lucky in being unlucky and it's the alternator afterall, hasn't lasted long though, when I had to replace the alternator on my old Mk1 it'd done 10yrs service, though it was a pig to replace....

A pig to replace !!!!! Understatement of the year for a mk2. I'm am absolutely flabbergasted at the amount of space you DON'T have to work in. Dam Haynes manual is wrong too, says remove the '4' bolts holding the air con compressor... Removed 3, spent an hour on my back in the freezing cold cursing myself coz I couldn't find the 4th,,,, only turns out there is only 3 grrr, then the actual bolts holding the alternator in, bottom one not to bad, but the top one OMG, Hand in a position I didn't think humanly possible, and you get about 20mm to work the spanner, and on a bolt that long, it took a loooooooong time to get off. Had to call it a day due to an appointment, shall resume services tomorrow. Safely say I won't be offering my services if someone asks me if i fancy fitting another lol. Rant over, horrible horrible nasty man whoever designed this engine layout.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club